Lower FPS in games recently...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluethulhu

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
I just recently noticed much lower FPS in some of my games, such as CS:GO and Minecraft. I used to get insane FPS like 400-700 and now the cap is at 119. I run minecraft at max settings (Far render distance, smooth lighting, fancy graphics, etc.) and when I turn it on minimal graphics (Tiny render distance, no smooth lighting, fast graphics), I get the same FPS. I also am getting about 119 FPS in source games. Again, I usually get insane FPS in source games (500+) and now there is a cap. I recently updated my graphics drivers to 310.90, if that helps. I will post my specs below. Thanks!

SPECS:

i7-3930k @ 4.4ghz
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
EVGA GeForce GTX 690
Antec High Current Pro 1200W
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
256GB Crucial M4 SSD
1TB WD Black Caviar
CM Storm Trooper

Solution
Honestly, you've been done a favor. Unless you have some very niche monitor, 60Hz is by far the norm, and 120hz is fairly uncommon.

The "Hz" refers to the number of times your monitor will draw the image in your graphics card. If you get 600FPS and have a 60HZ monitor, 540 Frames were drawn and discarded, and you would see only every tenth frame your GPU rendered. It's a big waste of processing power, which translates to lots of extra heat and power consumption.

Prolonged usage like that can damage your hardware if you don't have excellent cooling.
what refresh rate is your monitor? I can not see any reason why you would need over 120 FPS... and only 120 fps if you are playing in 3d of have a 120+ Hz monitor. Maybe they added a cap of 120 fps in the latest drivers... It might just be a setting (such as vsync in nvidia control panel) that needs to be removed if for some reason you have the need to stress your graphics card at 100% all the time for no gain.

LilDog1291

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Just a guess but it does seem like your framerate is hovering around double the refresh rate of most monitors. I agree with Derza on this one. After checking your refresh rate (whether it be 60hz, 120hz, or 240hz if your fancy) you can go from there. If you are like me, I turn on vertical sync when available to prevent image tearing and it keeps your graphics processor from processing needless frames since your monitor can only display up to as many as the refresh rate.

vsyncis on. turn vsync off, although that is pointless as your monitor cant actually dispay rediculous figures like 400 fps. Instead, every time it refreshes you get part of one frame and part of the next frame which can cause screen tearing, although at 400 fps you probably wont notice the screen tearing.

*because the monitor can't keep up with the frame rate* has nothing to do with the game.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Honestly, you've been done a favor. Unless you have some very niche monitor, 60Hz is by far the norm, and 120hz is fairly uncommon.

The "Hz" refers to the number of times your monitor will draw the image in your graphics card. If you get 600FPS and have a 60HZ monitor, 540 Frames were drawn and discarded, and you would see only every tenth frame your GPU rendered. It's a big waste of processing power, which translates to lots of extra heat and power consumption.

Prolonged usage like that can damage your hardware if you don't have excellent cooling.

Solution

actually, the frames dont all get discarded, you just end up with part of one frame and part of the next frame on the monitor at the same time, because the framerate is out of sync with the monitor refresh, which is why you get screen tearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS