Sign in with
Your question

Help with a power supply

Last response: in Systems
February 27, 2013 1:51:10 PM

Hello im having trouble identifying a good power supply for my system and i would really appreciate some advice.
My build is
Sapphire hd 7970 vapour-x
ROG rampage iv gene
corsair vengance 4x4g
seagate 2tb hdd
coolermaster haf-x
i7 3820
noctua nhd14

I would really appreciate any advice
Many thanks
Stefan

More about : power supply

a c 89 ) Power supply
February 27, 2013 2:17:02 PM

Any PSU from Antec, XFX, Corsair, or Seasonic will be great. Get 650w+
a b ) Power supply
February 27, 2013 4:43:53 PM

Quote:
Any PSU from Antec, XFX, Corsair, or Seasonic will be great. Get 650w+

PC Power & Cooling is another excellent choice and they're starting to sell rebranded Seasonic and Super Flower units in their MKIII series.

Do you have all those parts already? If it's gaming that you are going for you won't benefit from X79 and that motherboard is crazy expensive.
Related resources
February 27, 2013 8:20:46 PM

Thank you for your comments.
I have some of the parts and i have bought that motherboard, but i got it for £130 new.
I am very new to pc's and have barely any knowledge (my friend is helping me)
Could you please tell me whats not so good with the motherboard as i can still return it.
I would really appreciate it, sometimes i think my friend makes things up :p 
Thank you
Stefan
February 27, 2013 8:28:51 PM

Nothing is bad about the motherboard it's just the price really. It costs a lot more than a decent Z77 motherboard but you won't see any benefit in gaming from it. So if the machine is for gaming, there is no reason to spend the extra money.

But since you got it for £130 and it's normally about £190... Not so much of an issue.

As for PSU - I'l basically re-iterate what has already been said. Go for a known quality brand and 650W+ as I'm assuming you plan to over-clock (otherwise why do you have the Noctua NH-D14).

Something like this would do great. This model is actually made by Seasonic and Corsair just re-brand it.
- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Enthusiast-Series-Perfo...
a b ) Power supply
February 27, 2013 8:32:43 PM

casper1973 said:
Nothing is bad about the motherboard it's just the price really. It costs a lot more than a decent Z77 motherboard but you won't see any benefit in gaming from it. So if the machine is for gaming, there is no reason to spend the extra money.

But since you got it for £130 and it's normally about £190... Not so much of an issue.

Wow that's actually pretty cheap for that board. Usually it goes for about $300 US (£197.54). :ouch: 
!