6680 Connection Problems

My 6680 is less than a month old (and is the 2nd I have had due to major
problems with the first).

It's in the UK on Vodafone. Firmware 3.04.11 (14/04/05) RM-36.

3 problems:

- Battery life is terrible. 2 days without making calls.

- Battery level indicator doesn't refresh after a charge unless you switch
off and on

This may mean the battery life is fine but not showing the correct charge -
I have never let it run flat so don't know if it really is almost empty when
it says it is.

- Worst problem, the phone stops working for no reason. No indication of a
fault. Signal bar still present and fluctuating as normal. However you
cannot send/receive texts or make/receive calls. Only solution is to switch
off and on. Have noticed that this only seems to happen after a charge.

This last problem is major as the phone could be not operational for hours
and you only know when you want to make a call.

Vodafone say the battery bar refresh is a well known problem and will be
resolved with a firmware fix, and other users tell me they have the same
connection problems, so I am thinking it's more software than hardware
related.

What about everyone else? Has anyone else experienced these problems?

Vodafone have offered me a 3rd handset as replacement but I have declined
for now as I'm pretty sure it's software related.
14 answers Last reply
More about 6680 connection problems

    Yes I have experienced all of your problems on my phone as well as another
    which I have logged with Vodafone today. That is all my Emails have
    disappeared from my inbox for the second time in 3 weeks. Simply just gone,
    no reason or explanation and I cant retrieve them.

    Will wait for the typical 2 weeks for Vodafone to respond to me!
    "K" <@.> wrote in message
    > My 6680 is less than a month old (and is the 2nd I have had due to major
    > problems with the first).
    >
    > It's in the UK on Vodafone. Firmware 3.04.11 (14/04/05) RM-36.
    >
    > 3 problems:
    >
    > - Battery life is terrible. 2 days without making calls.
    >
    > - Battery level indicator doesn't refresh after a charge unless you switch
    > off and on
    >
    > This may mean the battery life is fine but not showing the correct
    charge -
    > I have never let it run flat so don't know if it really is almost empty
    when
    > it says it is.
    >
    > - Worst problem, the phone stops working for no reason. No indication of
    > fault. Signal bar still present and fluctuating as normal. However you
    > cannot send/receive texts or make/receive calls. Only solution is to
    switch
    > off and on. Have noticed that this only seems to happen after a charge.
    >
    > This last problem is major as the phone could be not operational for hours
    > and you only know when you want to make a call.
    >
    > Vodafone say the battery bar refresh is a well known problem and will be
    > resolved with a firmware fix, and other users tell me they have the same
    > connection problems, so I am thinking it's more software than hardware
    > related.
    >
    > What about everyone else? Has anyone else experienced these problems?
    >
    > Vodafone have offered me a 3rd handset as replacement but I have declined
    > for now as I'm pretty sure it's software related.

    Which RSMMC-card are you using in your 6680, the original supplied Nokia's?
    That's the problem of disappearing emails/sms/pictures is; I don't know how,
    but I think those cards are faulty!
    I'm now using a 3rd-party RSMMC-card (KingMax 256Mb), and the problems of
    disappearing mails etc. didn't occur anymore!

    I notified Nokia already about this problem . . .

    Success,

    --
    Henk van Loosbroek. ICQ: 50931463
    My firmware:

    "Chimp" <mjupforit@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > Yes I have experienced all of your problems on my phone as well as another
    > which I have logged with Vodafone today. That is all my Emails have
    > disappeared from my inbox for the second time in 3 weeks. Simply just
    > gone,
    > no reason or explanation and I cant retrieve them.
    >
    > Will wait for the typical 2 weeks for Vodafone to respond to me!
    > "K" <@.> wrote in message
    >> My 6680 is less than a month old (and is the 2nd I have had due to major
    >> problems with the first).
    >>
    >> It's in the UK on Vodafone. Firmware 3.04.11 (14/04/05) RM-36.
    >>
    >> 3 problems:
    >>
    >> - Battery life is terrible. 2 days without making calls.
    >>
    >> - Battery level indicator doesn't refresh after a charge unless you
    >> switch
    >> off and on
    >>
    >> This may mean the battery life is fine but not showing the correct
    > charge -
    >> I have never let it run flat so don't know if it really is almost empty
    > when
    >> it says it is.
    >>
    >> - Worst problem, the phone stops working for no reason. No indication of
    >> fault. Signal bar still present and fluctuating as normal. However you
    >> cannot send/receive texts or make/receive calls. Only solution is to
    > switch
    >> off and on. Have noticed that this only seems to happen after a charge.
    >>
    >> This last problem is major as the phone could be not operational for
    >> hours
    >> and you only know when you want to make a call.
    >>
    >> Vodafone say the battery bar refresh is a well known problem and will be
    >> resolved with a firmware fix, and other users tell me they have the same
    >> connection problems, so I am thinking it's more software than hardware
    >> related.
    >>
    >> What about everyone else? Has anyone else experienced these problems?
    >>
    >> Vodafone have offered me a 3rd handset as replacement but I have declined
    >> for now as I'm pretty sure it's software related.

    I personally have a new 512 dv rsmmc card which funnily enough, when
    inserted, it was then that I noticed the mails had disappeared.

    K wrote:
    > What about everyone else? Has anyone else experienced these problems?
    >
    > Vodafone have offered me a 3rd handset as replacement but I have declined
    > for now as I'm pretty sure it's software related.

    Nokia have gone downhill, there was a time when you could buy a Nokia
    and know it would just work.

    --
    Marc
    See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

    "Chimp" <mjupforit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I personally have a new 512 dv rsmmc card which funnily enough, when
    > inserted, it was then that I noticed the mails had disappeared.

    ....and you definately were not storing emails on the previous/default memory
    card at the time?

    If you pop the memory card out, anything you had on it is un-available. I
    know this sounds obvious, and I am being sincere (not patronising).

    I share Henks theory that the default memory card seems to be badly
    formatted: when I lost my images on the original card, I popped it into a
    card reader to try and salvage stuff and the directory structure was *VERY*
    corrupted.

    Since a re-format, things have been fine. I have never missed the
    pre-installed apps anyway (though they are available from nokias website)

    I now have two memory cards: I have also put in a kingmax 256mb, fillled it
    up with .oggs and have myself a "poor mans" iPod - if you will. All fine so
    far! The other card is the default, and this has apps, games etc loaded
    onto it. Again - fine so far.

    It has stopped working 4, YES 4, times today so far!

    I charged it last night but switched it off and on as soon as I took it off
    charge this morning.

    I have noticed though that it does seem to be after it has lost the signal
    for whatever reason. At work the signal is poor, and drops off several times
    a day unless you stand your phone in the right place on the desk. Noticed
    that the signal has been dead, so moved the phone, signal came back but
    phone didn't work!

    Maybe we are getting to the bottom of this.

    Next thing to try is switching 3G off and see if the problem persists,
    although there is ZERO 3G signal at work anyway.

    Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I suppose then it could be that the
    original card then could have been badly formatted. All the previous
    messages were on the phone I think too. I have tried putting the old card
    in, all of the old graphics and vids and music were on it but alas no mails.
    I have logged this problem directly with vodafone so expect a response in
    about 3 years! Thanks for your help again
    "meltey-chamon!" <nosepam@nosepam.com> wrote in message
    > "Chimp" <mjupforit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I personally have a new 512 dv rsmmc card which funnily enough, when
    > > inserted, it was then that I noticed the mails had disappeared.
    > >

    > ...and you definately were not storing emails on the previous/default
    memory
    > card at the time?
    >
    > If you pop the memory card out, anything you had on it is un-available. I
    > know this sounds obvious, and I am being sincere (not patronising).
    >
    > I share Henks theory that the default memory card seems to be badly
    > formatted: when I lost my images on the original card, I popped it into a
    > card reader to try and salvage stuff and the directory structure was
    *VERY*
    > corrupted.
    >
    > Since a re-format, things have been fine. I have never missed the
    > pre-installed apps anyway (though they are available from nokias website)
    >
    > I now have two memory cards: I have also put in a kingmax 256mb, fillled
    it
    > up with .oggs and have myself a "poor mans" iPod - if you will. All fine
    so
    > far! The other card is the default, and this has apps, games etc loaded
    > onto it. Again - fine so far.

    No it's not dude, I have a 6680 on Orange and it's got firmware version
    3.04.35 12-05-05 RM-36. Methinks they're either clueless or not close
    buddies with Nokia!

    Btw, if anyone does find out how to disable the Active Standby that
    Orange phones are crippled with, PLEASE PLEASE tell me. It's doing my
    head in.

    "K" <@.> wrote in message
    > It has stopped working 4, YES 4, times today so far!
    >
    > I charged it last night but switched it off and on as soon as I took it
    > off charge this morning.
    >
    > I have noticed though that it does seem to be after it has lost the signal
    > for whatever reason. At work the signal is poor, and drops off several
    > times a day unless you stand your phone in the right place on the desk.
    > Noticed that the signal has been dead, so moved the phone, signal came
    > back but phone didn't work!
    >
    > Maybe we are getting to the bottom of this.
    >
    > Next thing to try is switching 3G off and see if the problem persists,
    > although there is ZERO 3G signal at work anyway.
    Your problems must be Vodafone software related as I've had a 6680 on 3 (yes
    I know!!) since it was available & it will last 5-7 days on standby and a
    couple of days using 3g functions (streaming vids etc on 3's planet 3) &
    service) & playing games etc for a few hours a day. I have a Kingsmax 256mb
    dv mmc & not had anything lost.

    Big D

    I have just upgraded from a 6600 to 6680, and have the following problems:-

    1) SMS failing to send even when there is plenty of signal. Turn off and on
    again and they will send.
    2) Voice activated calls from Jabra 250 Bluetooth not working as before.
    3) Generally seems lower signal strength than previous phone.

    Got an exchange phone today and just the same problems. Phoned the local
    Nokia Service Centre, and the firmware I have (V 3.04.11 dated 14-04-05
    RM-36) is the latest.

    Not a happy bunny!!!

    Rob

    "K" <@.> wrote in message
    > My 6680 is less than a month old (and is the 2nd I have had due to major
    > problems with the first).
    >
    > It's in the UK on Vodafone. Firmware 3.04.11 (14/04/05) RM-36.
    >
    > 3 problems:
    >
    > - Battery life is terrible. 2 days without making calls.
    >
    > - Battery level indicator doesn't refresh after a charge unless you switch
    > off and on
    >
    > This may mean the battery life is fine but not showing the correct
    > charge - I have never let it run flat so don't know if it really is almost
    > empty when it says it is.
    >
    > - Worst problem, the phone stops working for no reason. No indication of
    > a fault. Signal bar still present and fluctuating as normal. However you
    > cannot send/receive texts or make/receive calls. Only solution is to
    > switch off and on. Have noticed that this only seems to happen after a
    > charge.
    >
    > This last problem is major as the phone could be not operational for hours
    > and you only know when you want to make a call.
    >
    > Vodafone say the battery bar refresh is a well known problem and will be
    > resolved with a firmware fix, and other users tell me they have the same
    > connection problems, so I am thinking it's more software than hardware
    > related.
    >
    > What about everyone else? Has anyone else experienced these problems?
    >
    > Vodafone have offered me a 3rd handset as replacement but I have declined
    > for now as I'm pretty sure it's software related.

    No idea what was fixed - there's virtually no resources available on
    the web for the 6680 at the moment that I can find.

    Can't say I've had any of the problems you've experienced (but it may
    only be a matter of time!). SMS seems to be behaving itself, although
    overall the phone doesn't seem particularly stable. I've had to reboot
    a couple of times to get Bluetooth working properly with computer and
    carkit (I'm not overly impressed with their implementation of the
    bluetooth stack, but it was the same on the 6310i initially). Voice
    activation from my nokia bluetooth carkit CK-7W works fine, although I
    haven't used it that extensively yet. Signal strength seems fine, in
    fact it seems to be better in my house than my 6310i was.

    Will try out the themes thing to see if its a bug with mine too. And
    orange active desktop keeps changing my picture back to it's default -
    please, someone shoot the IDIOT at Orange who decided to do this, it's
    the first gripe I've had with orange!

    Thanks for the info on the new firmware. Do you know what was fixed? Have
    you seen the problems that I'm having on yours?

    Also spotted another bug - can't change colours on Themes from anything but
    red!

    Rob

    K Wrote:
    > It has stopped working 4, YES 4, times today so far!
    >
    > I charged it last night but switched it off and on as soon as I took it
    > off
    > charge this morning.
    >
    > I have noticed though that it does seem to be after it has lost the
    > signal
    > for whatever reason. At work the signal is poor, and drops off several
    > times
    > a day unless you stand your phone in the right place on the desk.
    > Noticed
    > that the signal has been dead, so moved the phone, signal came back
    > but
    > phone didn't work!
    >
    > Maybe we are getting to the bottom of this.
    >
    > Next thing to try is switching 3G off and see if the problem persists,
    > although there is ZERO 3G signal at work anyway.
    I've been seeing exactly the same problem with my new 6680. It doesn't
    seem to stop working everytime the signal is lost (I have very poor
    reception in certain areas of my house so I can test lost signal quite
    easily) but every now and again it will stop and it's always just after
    having no signal. I work for vodafone, so when I'm next at the HQ I'll
    find out who was responsible for testing and approving the 6680 and see
    what they have to say about this.

    --
    woogal

    According to http://www.thephonelocker.co.uk , the latest version of
    firmware for the 6680 is v3.05 , although it doesn't state what's been
    fixed/updated in this firmware either. Seeing as the firmware for this
    phone seems to be changing rapidly, I'm thinking that I'll hold off a
    little before getting mine updated. I'm still unimpressed with the
    'phones stability, and am now finding that the voice recognition is
    nowhere near as good as that on my old 6310i!! A very good phone that's
    being spoilt a little for me by instability issues at the moment (and
    still the Orange Active Standby screen bugs me!).

    Very impressed with the camera though after using quite a bit now - and
    the flash is actually pretty useful for close shots.

    I'd be interested to hear any feedback you get from Voda woogal.

Nokia Battery