3rd monitor won't work even with active adapter.

Bouhatsu

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Hello superfantastic Tom's Hardware people!

I'm packing a sexeh new Gigabyte Radeon 7970 and 3 new Viewsonic VX2370's with it. I have an ACCELL Active minidisplayport to DVI-D connection for my third connection, a HDMI connection, and a displayport to HDMI (Passive) for my other connection.

The monitor with the dongle won't hit a lick, yo. Thinking it was a broken dongle I sent it back and got another, and the next one won't do anything either. One might be busted, but
both is exceptionally unlikely.

The monitor works, the DVI-D cable works, both displayports are confirmed working as well. Everything works great until I slap that dongle on the DVI-D and pop it in the displayport, then it won't do a thing. Not even when it's the only monitor hooked up.

It makes no "Hardware found" noise through windows when hotplugging it, nothing.

Any tips, tricks, or "Hey, that happened to me"'s would be greatly appreciated.

And before anyone asks, yes the monitor is plugged in XD

Bouhatsu

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Nope ._. No "I found hardware!" sound, no nothing. The monitor has a orange light for standby that has absolutely not wavered throughout all my troubleshooting.

I just tried doing what Accell's site said and plugged all 3 monitors in, then unplugged the two that worked and shut it down. Restarted with the one attached to the dongle still connected, and it still didn't recognize it ~_~ I even switched the DVI-D cable to a different monitor again to ensure that wasn't it. If I unhook it from the dongle and pop it in the DVI port, windows immediately recognizes a monitor has been connected and I have full options for it, outside of having all three on at once of course.

I am totally stumped. I've certified that both mini-displayports on the card actually work, something should be happening. That's an astronomical failure if I've managed to land two malfunctioning dongles in one week. That's reeeeally tough to believe, and I'm not sure Amazon will buy it this time. >_<

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-005B-DisplayPort-Single-Link-Certified/dp/B004071ZX0

That's the little feller I'm using. The box has a gold sticker on it that says "AMD Eyefinity Multi-Display Technology" and the dongle also shows up on their certified list at the following link.

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

Which display God do I need to sacrifice the goat to? -_- lol

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
I believe,1 monitor has to be connected to the DVI and then the other 2 to the mini DP.
Which means 2 mini active dp to DVI adapters.Even If you use the HDMI,you will still need 2 active adapters for the mini dp.

No Earnie, its the other way around the center monitor has to be HAS to be displayport with eyefinity and the other 2 can be dvi. And I meant in the display resolution changer it would show 3 monitors although I'm sure it would of told you that you had a monitor connected as well.

Bingo.

From the AMD site itself.

"To enable more than two displays, additional panels with native DisplayPort™ connectors, and/or DisplayPort™ compliant active adapters to convert your monitor’s native input to your cards DisplayPort™ or Mini-DisplayPort™ connector(s), are required. "

So the OP would have to either get an active DP to HDMI or hook up one DVI instead.

The fact that the adapter doesn't work on its own though is a whole different issue. lol. It should work on 1 screen at least.

Try HDMI, DVI, DP to HDMI and see if you get all 3.

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

yep,hes using 1 active and 1 passive,where they both need to be active adapters.

also bigshootr8,it doesnt matter which monitor is where,you set that up in the vcc.you just drag and drop the monitors into there appropriate positions.

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

I believe his card has only 1 DVI,1 HDMI and 2 mini dp connections.so he would use either the DVI or HDMI(If i remember correctly,you can only use 1 or the other,not both) and both mini DP ports,so he would still require 2 Active dp to DVi adapters.His monitors dont have mini dp,so he would need the mini dp-DVI adapters

Zharkov

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
I think my question is answered, but I'd like to verify. I have a 32" LCD TV with HDMI, component, and VGA output. I also have two 19" widescreen monitors. I know, it's an odd arrangement. The 19" displays are connected via the DVI ports and the 32" display is connected to the HDMI port. I also successfully connected it to the DP port using a DP to HDMI adapter. My card is a Sapphire Radeon HD6850 with two DVI ports, one HDMI port and one DP port. Catalyst 12.10 and my PC recognize all three displays, but Catalyst won't allow me to have all three displays enabled.

It sounds like I MUST have an active DP to HDMI converter to allow all three monitors to be used in an Eyefinity setup. Is that correct?

Bouhatsu

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Good gravy so many replies O-o; Thanks a ton guys.

I was under the impression that you needed at least one active mini display output for 3 monitors, not two. I was going by this amd youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf0X0lNFmgw&feature=player_detailpage#t=313s

I am currently checking into the firmware updates, I would love for that to be the problem ~_~

Thanks so much for the links and videos guys! ^o^ I will keep you up to date on the situation.

Edit: The link is to the good part, but please don't watch that video before you have to drive anywhere o_o That guy will flat out put you to sleep.

Bouhatsu

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Can't update the firmware. The updater says "No active DP to SL DVI dongle found. Please connect and enable a DP to SL DVI dongle which needs to update firmware and run this utility again!"

So yeah, bit of a catch 22 happening there. It can't detect the dongle because I can't update the firmware because it can't detect the dongle ~_~

Bouhatsu

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

Yep yep! For three monitors the third has to be connected via an active adapter, or a native displayport to displayport connection.

Bouhatsu

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

All troubleshooting points to that, but I don't buy it. This is the second dongle I've tried. The first one worked for like 5 minutes and then wouldn't do anything, this one won't either. I have zero idea what's wrong with it.

Yeargdribble

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I just posted about almost the exact some problem before noticing this post.

I too just bought my second Accell adapter of almost the exact same type (mine is Mini DP to DVI-D). Difference on my end is that it does make a Windows recognition noise and my monitor LED does go from amber to blue to show it's getting signal... but the screen is black.

I've confirmed both mini DP ports work (with passive DP to HDMI). I've confirmed all displays work bypassing the dongle and plugging them in by other means.

Every combination of connections I've tried has failed though. One monitor on DVI-D and the other via dongle fails. One on HDMI and the other on dongle fails. One through pass mini DP to HDMI and the other with the active dongle fails. It's always the dongled one that doesn't work. Certainly a single monitor only using the Accell adapter doesn't work.

I did the firmware upgrade (or tried). It told me to clone monitors, which I did. Ultimately it said I had the most up to date firmware, but I reinstalled over it anyway just to check. No dice.

I still have two of these active adapters (haven't gotten around to sending the other back). Trying both makes for an even better, more laughable failure.

I guess I'm about to order another brand or something.

It just seems odd to me that the vast majority of feedback on Amazon is positive, yet you and me both have run into an issue with two adapters in a row not working. Is there a whole batch of lemons floating around out there?

TRENDING THREADS