Sign in with
Your question

3rd monitor won't work even with active adapter.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2013 6:28:49 PM

Hello superfantastic Tom's Hardware people!

I'm packing a sexeh new Gigabyte Radeon 7970 and 3 new Viewsonic VX2370's with it. I have an ACCELL Active minidisplayport to DVI-D connection for my third connection, a HDMI connection, and a displayport to HDMI (Passive) for my other connection.

The monitor with the dongle won't hit a lick, yo. Thinking it was a broken dongle I sent it back and got another, and the next one won't do anything either. One might be busted, but
both is exceptionally unlikely.

The monitor works, the DVI-D cable works, both displayports are confirmed working as well. Everything works great until I slap that dongle on the DVI-D and pop it in the displayport, then it won't do a thing. Not even when it's the only monitor hooked up.

It makes no "Hardware found" noise through windows when hotplugging it, nothing.

Any tips, tricks, or "Hey, that happened to me"'s would be greatly appreciated.

And before anyone asks, yes the monitor is plugged in XD
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2013 6:49:51 PM

Are you using a Display Port adapter for your center computer monitor?
m
l
January 9, 2013 7:19:06 PM

My center computer monitor is hooked up via the mini displayport to HDMI passive adapter.

m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
January 9, 2013 7:38:58 PM

Ah, okay well I would imagine that would work does your computer pick up all 3 monitors?
m
l
January 9, 2013 8:09:17 PM

Nope ._. No "I found hardware!" sound, no nothing. The monitor has a orange light for standby that has absolutely not wavered throughout all my troubleshooting.

I just tried doing what Accell's site said and plugged all 3 monitors in, then unplugged the two that worked and shut it down. Restarted with the one attached to the dongle still connected, and it still didn't recognize it ~_~ I even switched the DVI-D cable to a different monitor again to ensure that wasn't it. If I unhook it from the dongle and pop it in the DVI port, windows immediately recognizes a monitor has been connected and I have full options for it, outside of having all three on at once of course.

I am totally stumped. I've certified that both mini-displayports on the card actually work, something should be happening. That's an astronomical failure if I've managed to land two malfunctioning dongles in one week. That's reeeeally tough to believe, and I'm not sure Amazon will buy it this time. >_<

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-005B-DisplayPort-Sin...

That's the little feller I'm using. The box has a gold sticker on it that says "AMD Eyefinity Multi-Display Technology" and the dongle also shows up on their certified list at the following link.

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-don...

Which display God do I need to sacrifice the goat to? -_- lol
m
l
January 10, 2013 12:01:38 AM

I believe,1 monitor has to be connected to the DVI and then the other 2 to the mini DP.
Which means 2 mini active dp to DVI adapters.Even If you use the HDMI,you will still need 2 active adapters for the mini dp.
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 10, 2013 12:13:06 AM

No Earnie, its the other way around the center monitor has to be HAS to be displayport with eyefinity and the other 2 can be dvi. And I meant in the display resolution changer it would show 3 monitors although I'm sure it would of told you that you had a monitor connected as well.
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 10, 2013 12:16:14 AM

Earnie said:
I believe,1 monitor has to be connected to the DVI and then the other 2 to the mini DP.
Which means 2 mini active dp to DVI adapters.Even If you use the HDMI,you will still need 2 active adapters for the mini dp.

Bingo.

From the AMD site itself.

"To enable more than two displays, additional panels with native DisplayPort™ connectors, and/or DisplayPort™ compliant active adapters to convert your monitor’s native input to your cards DisplayPort™ or Mini-DisplayPort™ connector(s), are required. "

So the OP would have to either get an active DP to HDMI or hook up one DVI instead.

The fact that the adapter doesn't work on its own though is a whole different issue. lol. It should work on 1 screen at least.

Try HDMI, DVI, DP to HDMI and see if you get all 3.
m
l
January 10, 2013 12:36:00 AM

getochkn said:
Bingo.

From the AMD site itself.

"To enable more than two displays, additional panels with native DisplayPort™ connectors, and/or DisplayPort™ compliant active adapters to convert your monitor’s native input to your cards DisplayPort™ or Mini-DisplayPort™ connector(s), are required. "

So the OP would have to either get an active DP to HDMI or hook up one DVI instead.

The fact that the adapter doesn't work on its own though is a whole different issue. lol. It should work on 1 screen at least.

Try HDMI, DVI, DP to HDMI and see if you get all 3.

yep,hes using 1 active and 1 passive,where they both need to be active adapters.

also bigshootr8,it doesnt matter which monitor is where,you set that up in the vcc.you just drag and drop the monitors into there appropriate positions.

m
l
a b C Monitor
January 10, 2013 12:39:13 AM

Ah I see but you need 1 with displayport.
m
l
January 10, 2013 12:43:45 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Ah I see but you need 1 with displayport.

I believe his card has only 1 DVI,1 HDMI and 2 mini dp connections.so he would use either the DVI or HDMI(If i remember correctly,you can only use 1 or the other,not both) and both mini DP ports,so he would still require 2 Active dp to DVi adapters.His monitors dont have mini dp,so he would need the mini dp-DVI adapters
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 10, 2013 12:57:19 AM

Right which sapphire I believe makes.
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 10, 2013 1:22:57 AM

By the way this is where I got that you needed a display port or an adapter.
m
l
January 10, 2013 4:22:11 AM

I think my question is answered, but I'd like to verify. I have a 32" LCD TV with HDMI, component, and VGA output. I also have two 19" widescreen monitors. I know, it's an odd arrangement. The 19" displays are connected via the DVI ports and the 32" display is connected to the HDMI port. I also successfully connected it to the DP port using a DP to HDMI adapter. My card is a Sapphire Radeon HD6850 with two DVI ports, one HDMI port and one DP port. Catalyst 12.10 and my PC recognize all three displays, but Catalyst won't allow me to have all three displays enabled.

It sounds like I MUST have an active DP to HDMI converter to allow all three monitors to be used in an Eyefinity setup. Is that correct?
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 10, 2013 4:24:07 AM

Yes yes it is I'll supply another video I watched soon after this video I supplied you that goes into it.

Start at 1 minute exactly.

m
l
a b C Monitor
January 10, 2013 1:39:07 PM

Could also be firmware issue with your displayport adapter.

http://www.accellcables.com/support/FAQDP.htm

Go through all those steps and there is a firmware link near the top of the page explaining how to upgrade it, etc.
m
l
January 11, 2013 12:18:37 PM

Good gravy so many replies O-o; Thanks a ton guys.

I was under the impression that you needed at least one active mini display output for 3 monitors, not two. I was going by this amd youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf0X0lNFmgw&feature=play...

I am currently checking into the firmware updates, I would love for that to be the problem ~_~

Thanks so much for the links and videos guys! ^o^ I will keep you up to date on the situation.

Edit: The link is to the good part, but please don't watch that video before you have to drive anywhere o_o That guy will flat out put you to sleep.
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 11, 2013 12:22:06 PM

Yea he isn't all that entertaining ha :p  But I do like the examples he gives of configurations. And you are welcome sir.
m
l
January 11, 2013 3:16:10 PM

Can't update the firmware. The updater says "No active DP to SL DVI dongle found. Please connect and enable a DP to SL DVI dongle which needs to update firmware and run this utility again!"

So yeah, bit of a catch 22 happening there. It can't detect the dongle because I can't update the firmware because it can't detect the dongle ~_~
m
l
January 11, 2013 3:24:43 PM

Zharkov said:
I think my question is answered, but I'd like to verify. I have a 32" LCD TV with HDMI, component, and VGA output. I also have two 19" widescreen monitors. I know, it's an odd arrangement. The 19" displays are connected via the DVI ports and the 32" display is connected to the HDMI port. I also successfully connected it to the DP port using a DP to HDMI adapter. My card is a Sapphire Radeon HD6850 with two DVI ports, one HDMI port and one DP port. Catalyst 12.10 and my PC recognize all three displays, but Catalyst won't allow me to have all three displays enabled.

It sounds like I MUST have an active DP to HDMI converter to allow all three monitors to be used in an Eyefinity setup. Is that correct?

Yep yep! For three monitors the third has to be connected via an active adapter, or a native displayport to displayport connection.
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 11, 2013 7:06:49 PM

Woot for having a display port monitor :)  So are you saying above there is an issue with your dongle?
m
l
January 11, 2013 11:21:53 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Woot for having a display port monitor :)  So are you saying above there is an issue with your dongle?

All troubleshooting points to that, but I don't buy it. This is the second dongle I've tried. The first one worked for like 5 minutes and then wouldn't do anything, this one won't either. I have zero idea what's wrong with it.
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 12, 2013 12:43:43 AM

Is it possible that the monitor you are trying to use isn't compatible going backwards.
m
l
January 12, 2013 3:31:20 AM

I just posted about almost the exact some problem before noticing this post.

I too just bought my second Accell adapter of almost the exact same type (mine is Mini DP to DVI-D). Difference on my end is that it does make a Windows recognition noise and my monitor LED does go from amber to blue to show it's getting signal... but the screen is black.

I've confirmed both mini DP ports work (with passive DP to HDMI). I've confirmed all displays work bypassing the dongle and plugging them in by other means.

Every combination of connections I've tried has failed though. One monitor on DVI-D and the other via dongle fails. One on HDMI and the other on dongle fails. One through pass mini DP to HDMI and the other with the active dongle fails. It's always the dongled one that doesn't work. Certainly a single monitor only using the Accell adapter doesn't work.

I did the firmware upgrade (or tried). It told me to clone monitors, which I did. Ultimately it said I had the most up to date firmware, but I reinstalled over it anyway just to check. No dice.

I still have two of these active adapters (haven't gotten around to sending the other back). Trying both makes for an even better, more laughable failure.

I guess I'm about to order another brand or something.

It just seems odd to me that the vast majority of feedback on Amazon is positive, yet you and me both have run into an issue with two adapters in a row not working. Is there a whole batch of lemons floating around out there?
m
l
January 12, 2013 9:49:02 PM

Yeargdribble said:
I just posted about almost the exact some problem before noticing this post.

I too just bought my second Accell adapter of almost the exact same type (mine is Mini DP to DVI-D). Difference on my end is that it does make a Windows recognition noise and my monitor LED does go from amber to blue to show it's getting signal... but the screen is black.

I've confirmed both mini DP ports work (with passive DP to HDMI). I've confirmed all displays work bypassing the dongle and plugging them in by other means.

Every combination of connections I've tried has failed though. One monitor on DVI-D and the other via dongle fails. One on HDMI and the other on dongle fails. One through pass mini DP to HDMI and the other with the active dongle fails. It's always the dongled one that doesn't work. Certainly a single monitor only using the Accell adapter doesn't work.

I did the firmware upgrade (or tried). It told me to clone monitors, which I did. Ultimately it said I had the most up to date firmware, but I reinstalled over it anyway just to check. No dice.

I still have two of these active adapters (haven't gotten around to sending the other back). Trying both makes for an even better, more laughable failure.

I guess I'm about to order another brand or something.

It just seems odd to me that the vast majority of feedback on Amazon is positive, yet you and me both have run into an issue with two adapters in a row not working. Is there a whole batch of lemons floating around out there?

That ain't close brother, that's pretty well the exact same thing >.> Mine is also mini DP (mini-displayport) to DVI-D. I'm almost wondering if they aren't just super accurate counterfeits, as the logo on the adapter is upside down when compare to the picture on Accell's website. I also went with them due to their high rating on amazon.
m
l
January 12, 2013 9:56:16 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Is it possible that the monitor you are trying to use isn't compatible going backwards.

I'm not even certain how to check that? ._. I'll email viewsonic's tech support, but they won't get back to me till next week ~_~ This has taught me patience though XD
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 12, 2013 11:07:21 PM

Ha yea truly. I know that AMD is more specific on how they want you to connect eyefinity if anything this is a educational experience on top of the headache.
m
l
January 13, 2013 1:11:46 PM

I've ordered a Sapphire mini DP to DVI Active adapter off Newegg. If this doesn't work, then I may order one more adapter that has an actual power cable on it and see if it will actually do something. If that doesn't work, I'm done -_-

What really sucks is something somewhere in this is bad. It could be the graphics card is borked somehow and simply can't handle 3 monitors at once. I got it back in October or November I believe, so my ability to return it is probably nonexistant >_o I went after it specifically for its eyefinity capability as well, so this really sucks. Very expensive problem here O_o
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 13, 2013 3:12:18 PM

Bouhatsu said:
I've ordered a Sapphire mini DP to DVI Active adapter off Newegg. If this doesn't work, then I may order one more adapter that has an actual power cable on it and see if it will actually do something. If that doesn't work, I'm done -_-

What really sucks is something somewhere in this is bad. It could be the graphics card is borked somehow and simply can't handle 3 monitors at once. I got it back in October or November I believe, so my ability to return it is probably nonexistant >_o I went after it specifically for its eyefinity capability as well, so this really sucks. Very expensive problem here O_o

If all the ports work with 1 monitor, then it's not the card. Doesn't make sense that 4 different ports would work, but not 3 at a time for eyefinity only.
m
l
January 13, 2013 7:14:57 PM

getochkn said:
If all the ports work with 1 monitor, then it's not the card. Doesn't make sense that 4 different ports would work, but not 3 at a time for eyefinity only.

I don't know exactly how Eyefinity works circuitry-wise or anything, so I can't really speak to that. All I know is the card has to be doing something that other cards won't do, as most max out at 2 monitors even if they have more ports than that.

If the next adapter doesn't work, then it has to be the card somehow. That or I've ordered 3 nonworking sealed quality tested adapters in a month, from two separate locations. That's pretty unlikely.

I told Gigabyte tech support the monitor type I was using, they said I probably had a bad adapter. They didn't blink at the monitors I was using, so I'm betting they're fine.

I would point to user error immediately, but there's no settings or switches or anything to be changed to cause it. When I hook up a single monitor through that adapter that monitor should receive a signal when I turn the computer on (or hotplug it). It doesn't ._.

So stumped.
m
l
a b C Monitor
January 13, 2013 7:35:53 PM

I'd try a active dp to HDMI for the 2 connections, straight hdmi for the 3rd. Of course that means buying more adapters, but considering this one doesn't work on its own, being the only monitor, I see it as an adapter issue, not a card or eyefinity problem.
m
l
January 20, 2013 3:17:09 AM

Well, update from me. I just tried my 3rd adapter with no luck.

I had the best luck with this one of any so far. It was odd, unlike the previous two, it didn't make a sound when plugged in.

However, when I restarted my computer with only one monitor it made it most of the way through the boot process. It actually got the part with the Windows logo, but after that, it went to black.

I'm so tired of this problem I just don't even know what to do.

If it's a problem on the card, what is that problem? The miniDP ports work just fine with passive adapters running to HDMI for every monitor.

What's the problem with the active? The only reason I haven't tried an active mDP to HDMI is that ATI doesn't have any certified.
m
l
January 21, 2013 8:13:53 AM

Update from me. I've got the sapphire adapter and the third monitor works. It has weird tearing and such though, so the adapter seems to still have some issues, but it's a ton better than nothing ~_~

Bleeeeeeeeh at these crappy adapters. So many of them.
m
l
January 21, 2013 7:40:04 PM

I'm about to try miniDP to VGA now. I've heard of people making that work without it being active.

If not, I guess I'll order another active adapter... really tempted to try a mini DP to HDMI. I don't care if it doesn't have the ATI seal of approval. I just want it to work and I'm not planning to make an Eyefinity setup anyway. I just need 3 working monitors for workspace.
m
l
!