Sign in with
Your question

Gtx 660, 670, 680, 690 question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2013 7:31:54 PM

Hi all,
I am upgrading my computer now that I am getting my tax return and have a few questions. I recently decided to do a huge upgrade due to buying a second gtx 560 ti 448 core and running a SLI bridge and receiving barely a performance boost. My current rig is a GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, i5 2500k CPU, 2 gtx 560 ti 448 core and some other stuff too. What I am really looking to upgrade is the graphics and processor so this is where my questions are.
I want to play Far Cry 3 on ultra settings but obviously my graphics cards can’t handle this. The only setting they run really smooth on is medium/high. I was looking at getting one of the gtx 600 series cards but was unsure what to get based on wanting to make this rig last a good while before I upgrade. My original thought was to get two 670’s and run them SLI but I don’t know if that will stop me from maxing out games shortly down the road? If maybe I should get a single 680 or possibly the 690… that’s a lot of money though. I am also unsure if my motherboard will be able to handle a 690 at its full potential. I know that I can put a 22nm processor in but if I do this will it turn the pci 2.0 into a pci 3.0? I was also curious if I upgrade my i5 2500k to an i7 3770k if it will boost my performance in my rig? Or possibly help the GPU’s run better?
Sorry for all the questions but I am a super noob with this kind of stuff and would really appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks
Mike
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 7:42:52 PM

changing from a i5 to a i7 doesnt give you any gain in gaming performance.

changing from sandy bridge to ivy bridge will give you a small increase of performance, but that can be done through overclocking

you are supposed to receive almost 2x the performance by using 2 560ti 448s. if you have not, you are doing something wrong

a 670 is slightly faster than a 5660ti 448 SLI. it is on par with the 680 out of the box given most of them have a overclock anyways

far cry 3 at low settings looks dam good. i dont see the point of going above high settings if it looks exactly the same as ultra. i wouldnt upgrade at all until you start hitting medium settings with your setup
m
l
a c 82 U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 8:03:35 PM

id say whynot sly the 560 if u can get it under 160$ if not id get a gtx 670 and id stick with the current cpu u have, no actual framerate upgrade going from ur current i5 to an i7 :) 

m
l
!