Sign in with
Your question

Ssd

Last response: in Windows 7
March 16, 2012 3:49:50 AM

im installing a 256gb ssd with a 700gb hdd.the ssd will be my priomary drive.are the tweaks to win 7 still needed for a ssd this size ?

More about : ssd

March 16, 2012 4:01:43 AM

traylor said:
im installing a 256gb ssd with a 700gb hdd.the ssd will be my priomary drive.are the tweaks to win 7 still needed for a ssd this size ?

I'd say, yes. It saves you valuable ssd drive space and turns off things that are no longer needed.....Like, disk defragmentaion, which is a bad thing for an ssd.
m
l
March 16, 2012 4:01:48 AM

Yes, I would recommend them to extend the life and performance of your drive

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-arti...

Edit: If you have sufficent RAM, things such as superfetch, prefetch and page files provide little to no benefit and take up space. While you don't "need" to make any tweeks you may regret it once you start running out of space.
m
l
Related resources
March 17, 2012 1:40:55 AM

This might not apply to you since you got alot of storage, but i have a 64gb crucial m4 and i turned off hibernation mode and it saved me almost ten gb of space. So if you are low on space and you don't use hibernate then i definitely recommend turning it off.
m
l
March 17, 2012 2:18:17 AM

Thanks to Arvalin for his link to the tweaks! i was unaware of all of that and have gone through and made the changes on my computer. Thanks!
m
l
March 17, 2012 5:05:27 AM

danimaltheanimal13 said:
This might not apply to you since you got alot of storage, but i have a 64gb crucial m4 and i turned off hibernation mode and it saved me almost ten gb of space. So if you are low on space and you don't use hibernate then i definitely recommend turning it off.

I would kill hibernate anyways as it causes a lot of problems usually.

Another thing is Firefox can be cached to RAM instead. Makes it faster and saves your SSD the extra writes.
m
l
!