Solved

System reboots when playing games (new and old hardware)

System:
Tyan Thunder N6650W Dual Socket F
2x Opteron 2220 (Dual Core 2.8Ghz)
8GB ECC RAM
New 1TB HD
New Corsair CX750 PSU
SLI Nvida GTX260 core216 55nm
Windows 8 Pro

Background- I picked this up at work from the IT department who was replacing it and recycling it. It originally had an Enermax 620 PSU. I put a new HD in and a single GTX260. I had no issues with that setup- I was able to game for hours on end.

I have a friend who had a spare GTX260 so I checked the extreme PSU calc and determined that the system with both video cards would pull just under 500W. So I ordered the Corsair CX750 PSU, thinking that would give me enough overhead, and set up the cards in SLI.

No problems setting up the SLI hardware or software-wise in the NVIDIA control panel. But, I couldn’t play any games (Borderlands 2 for example) for more than about 30 seconds and the system would reboot itself. I checked temps on the 260’s and they were never over 60c before the reboot. Temps on the CPU’s looked okay as well. So then I tried pulling one of the 260’s (still using the new Corsair PSU) and I had the same issue even with a single 260. So then I put the original Enermax 620 PSU back in and the system was fine again- no automatic rebooting. I then swapped 260's to be sure it wasn't one of the cards and everything was still working.

So my question- assuming I plugged everything in correctly, this would have to be a faulty Corsair PSU, right? I wanted to get some second opinions from you guys before I set up an RMA with newegg.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about system reboots playing games hardware
  1. Best answer
    It is quite likely the PSU is faulty, it does happen even to the best of components. I will suggest you begin an RMA dialogue with Corsair at this point.
    Probably not what you wanted to hear...
  2. Sounds faulty.
  3. Best answer selected by carver_g.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Games Systems