Mini ATX Gaming build with sg09 help

vadboy

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Hey forum,
I am interested in building a moderate gaming PC (don't need heavy duty gaming rig that runs everything on ultra), with Silverstone Sugo SG09 since it looks like it's the best mini atx case currently available.

Can you suggest me a good build? Possibly with GTX 670, i5, 256 SSD...
Also I want to keep heat and noise to the minimum.
Edit: Price range ~ $1,000

Thanks for all the help :)

Wait, you want a moderate gaming rig with a 670 and a 256GB ssd?
That's not really moderate, that's the start of high-end.

You need to give us a price range so we know what you're talking about.

(Also mini itx does not equal mini atx. There are some big differences between the two, and advantages and disadvantages to both.)

vadboy

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
I thought high end was >= gtx titan
Price range around $1000
Wasn't aware of the difference between mini ATX and mini ITX, I prefer which ever is smaller and can handle the gtx 670 graphic card (without melting of course)

Erm, no. That is one of the "highest end" cards, yes, but the 690 and titan are mostly for people who have too much money for their brains.
A single 670 will max out almost any game at 1080p and 60fps. That's pretty high-end.

That being said, you can't pay $1000 and get a 670, overclockable i5, and a 256gb SSD... not unless you don't want any of the other parts of a computer, that is.

vadboy

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
No need to overclockable i5, just regular i5, that is if possible (I am not into overclocking).
What is the best possible price to build a PC like that? I mentioned around $1000, it's Ok if it's a little over ($1200 or so).

Try this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.48 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($369.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone SG02-BF MicroATX Desktop Case ($93.16 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $994.56
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-27 15:28 EST-0500)

vadboy

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Thanks for the build DarkSable, is it possible to use SilverStone Sugo Series SG09B with that build? It's just $7 more expensive than the sg02 (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163222&Tpk=silverstone%20sugo%20sg09)

Btw what is the difference between the P and K series for the i5?

Yeah, it should be possible, and that would be a decent upgrade. (I had forgotten about that model - front USB 3.0 ports might well be worth $7 more.)

The difference is a few fold. The difference between a "k" model i5 and a normal one is that the k model is unlocked, which means it can be overclocked. The difference between the "p" model and a normal i5 is that the p model doesn't have integrated graphics. (Which isn't an issue, since you have a graphics card, and it shaves cost.)

Also, you might not have noticed, I gave you a 128GB SSD and a 500GB drive.

I highly recommend going down that route rather than forking over an equal amount of money for a 256GB SSD, as most things don't even see a benefit from being on an ssd anyways.

You'll want to put your OS and any programs on the SSD. Games should be split between the SSD and hard drive depending on how useful it would be to have them load faster - MMOs, for example, are amazing to put on SSDs, but getting into a CoD lobby 10 seconds faster than anyone else doesn't matter when you have to wait for them to connect anyways. (Generally you want MMOs and frequently used single player games that have lots of loading screens, like skyrim or half life, on the SSD - all other games go on the hard drive.)

vadboy

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Thanks, I noticed the drives, the main reason I wanted 256 is that 95% of my games are on steam, and I am not sure if I can separate them from the main steam folder, but I will look it up.

Will I benefit from aftermark cpu cooler? I want to try and keep the system cool and quiet, I heard better cpu cooler could help that.

You can, it's extremely easy.

Install steam to the hard drive, and then when you install a drive it'll ask you if you want to install it to the drive steam is installed to or a new folder.

An aftermarket cooler will help with noise, but the normal CPU fan should be fine - I wouldn't bother spending money on it, since you won't be overclocking, and thus won't be producing extra heat, and thus won't require the fan to be spinning as fast as it can go.