Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Part Suggestions

Last response: in Systems
February 27, 2013 6:49:59 PM

I'm building a computer for my brother. He's currently on an old e-machine and would like something better. He uses FL Studio which is a music making program, and says it lags for him.

Other than that he mostly just browses the internet/youtube. He wants something that will run FL Studio well, and is overall just faster than his pc. He isn't a gamer.

His current pc is an amd sempron 3100+ 1.8ghz with 512mb ram. He uses a tv for a monitor at 1360 x 768.

My budget is $200ish
Here are some parts I already have:
HAF 912
500gb hd
8gb vengeance DDR3 1600 ram
Asus dvd drive
Windows 7

I guess I'm just looking for suggestions on what type of cpu and motherboard to get. I need a psu too, but that isn't a big deal.

More about : part suggestions

February 27, 2013 7:02:30 PM

Anything Asus is great motherboard wise and as far as a cpu goes I would go with an i3.
Score
February 27, 2013 7:03:38 PM

Although I realized Asus is a bit expensive so you should also look at MSI and Asrock boards.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

February 27, 2013 7:10:32 PM

FlaveRo said:
Anything Asus is great motherboard wise and as far as a cpu goes I would go with an i3.

Agreed. Considering he's got a Sempron now though, dropping back to a Pentium (e.g. 860G) to save money is still going to be a great choice for him.
If Asus is a little pricey, check out ASRock. I don't trust MSI for mobos, especially at the low end. They use weak VRMS, which may pop under load. There's a public reference spreadsheet I can't link at work, but trust me it's got at least half a page of problematic MSI boards on it.
The PSU is a big deal though, since the entire system is dependent on clean, reliable power. The cheapest PSU I could recommend is the Antec VP-450, which is efficient enough for 80+ but is disqualified for not having active PFC. The 380W Antec Earthwatts is another good choice, as is the 360W Seasonic 360G.
A cheap PSU-shaped object pre-installed in a case is probably junk to be avoided. Raidmax, Apevia, Logisys, Xion, Diablotek, and CM (Coolermaster) are examples in this category.
February 27, 2013 7:14:00 PM

Onus said:
Agreed. Considering he's got a Sempron now though, dropping back to a Pentium (e.g. 860G) to save money is still going to be a great choice for him.
If Asus is a little pricey, check out ASRock. I don't trust MSI for mobos, especially at the low end. They use weak VRMS, which may pop under load. There's a public reference spreadsheet I can't link at work, but trust me it's got at least half a page of problematic MSI boards on it.
The PSU is a big deal though, since the entire system is dependent on clean, reliable power. The cheapest PSU I could recommend is the Antec VP-450, which is efficient enough for 80+ but is disqualified for not having active PFC. The 380W Antec Earthwatts is another good choice, as is the 360W Seasonic 360G.
A cheap PSU-shaped object pre-installed in a case is probably junk to be avoided. Raidmax, Apevia, Logisys, Xion, Diablotek, and CM (Coolermaster) are examples in this category.

As far as psu goes you really dont need much 350-450 watt is great I would like to personally recomend Seasonic for their efficiancy and also Corsair but they can be a bit pricy!
Score
February 27, 2013 7:58:57 PM

The Pentium G860 looks nice. Would there be any reason to get a ASRock B75 over an H61? I'll get the Antec Earthwatts, thank you for the suggestions.
Score
February 27, 2013 8:02:46 PM

Best answer selected by Xion.
Score
February 27, 2013 10:05:07 PM

Thanks.
As to the last question, the B75 will support Ivy Bridge CPUs out of the box (if he upgrades in the future), better memory support, and native support for USB3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s. H61 boards that have any modern interfaces use tacked-on controllers to get them.
Score
!