Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

About GTX 660

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 9, 2013 10:21:38 PM

Hi all,
Want to ask. I planned to upgrade my current graphic card and decide GTX 660 is the one i'll choose. But first thing, i want to ask about GTX 660 performance. Can i max most game at 1080p using this card? If it can't, will mid to high game setting deliver great performance? This card have reasonable performace for price, or out there has better options for similar price? Thanks before for helping :) 

More about : gtx 660

Best solution

a c 133 U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 10:26:42 PM

In some games you will be able to max out if you lay off AA+AF you should be more then fine at max out settings. And yes if you cant you will at least get mid to high settings in the games you play and probably the next generation of games as well.
Share
January 9, 2013 10:39:24 PM

bigshootr8 said:
In some games you will be able to max out if you lay off AA+AF you should be more then fine at max out settings. And yes if you cant you will at least get mid to high settings in the games you play and probably the next generation of games as well.

Thanks :D , nice to know that.
This card price is $240 in my country. Is that normal price for GTX 660?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 10:42:42 PM

ashharun said:
Thanks :D , nice to know that.
This card price is $240 in my country. Is that normal price for GTX 660?

Yup :)  Thats a fairly reasonable price unlike meowmix
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 10:47:07 PM

Oh yeah, and AMD 7870 here the price like $270. Is it worth to spend the $30 for 7870? I don't want to spend more money for 2-3 fps different..
m
0
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 11:34:11 PM

no, the 7870 is on par with the gtx660, they trade blows depending on the game. And the 660 generally has lower frame latency, allowing for smoother gameplay.
m
0
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 11:37:52 PM

Yea I feel you are just fine going with the 660 at your price range. You wouldn't gain much or anything by going to a 7870 :) 
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 11:45:24 PM

Great :D ! Thanks for helping guys. This forum always very helpful :) 
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 11:45:41 PM

Best answer selected by ashharun.
m
0
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 11:47:00 PM

The REST of your system will also affect gaming performance. Some games are more affected by the CPU then others so if you have a CPU that's lower than an i5-750/i7-920 you could see lower number then say the same graphics card with an i5-3570K.

Tweaking and games:
There is a HUGE difference in performance levels between games. Far Cry 3 is very demanding, whereas Crysis 2 can be run at 1080p at close to max quality on the GTX660 (again, if the CPU/RAM is adequate).

Which brings an important point:
*Don't make the common mistake of cranking up the visuals as high as they go, frame rate be damned. For example, if you can hit 60FPS VSYNC'd with almost the same quality as MAX but at 45FPS go with the 60FPS.

**Batman AC:
Turn off DX11 and PHYSX. Even on a GTX680 stuttering is very annoying.
m
0
l
January 9, 2013 11:54:49 PM

photonboy said:
The REST of your system will also affect gaming performance. Some games are more affected by the CPU then others so if you have a CPU that's lower than an i5-750/i7-920 you could see lower number then say the same graphics card with an i5-3570K.

Tweaking and games:
There is a HUGE difference in performance levels between games. Far Cry 3 is very demanding, whereas Crysis 2 can be run at 1080p at close to max quality on the GTX660 (again, if the CPU/RAM is adequate).

Which brings an important point:
*Don't make the common mistake of cranking up the visuals as high as they go, frame rate be damned. For example, if you can hit 60FPS VSYNC'd with almost the same quality as MAX but at 45FPS go with the 60FPS.

**Batman AC:
Turn off DX11 and PHYSX. Even on a GTX680 stuttering is very annoying.

I use a fairly new i5 ivy bridge cpu, so i think i'm good for cpu.

YES! I always choose setting that'll make game run at least 60fps. I don't need eye candy turned on if it'll drop the fps
m
0
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 9, 2013 11:57:57 PM

With Batman AC he will be able to turn on Physx and DX11. I play it all the time on a 670 and I was able to play it on a 560Ti. However when with Physx on high you may want to make sure you turn off AA+AF completely I would just disable it honestly. I've beaten the game like 11 times already >< freaking love the batman games and I've gotten all the Riddler riddles twice.

I would only start turning on vsync with games that start to tear and also I wouldn't do it through application vsync I would go through nvidia control panel and I would set it to adaptive vsync.

Also, I think people get the misconception that is a game is demanding yes Far Cry 3 is a very demanding game but I bet if you turned off settings like AA and AF you would have a completely different experience performance wise. And you just aren't going to do that with a normal GTX660.
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 12:05:27 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Also, I think people get the misconception that is a game is demanding yes Far Cry 3 is a very demanding game but I bet if you turned off settings like AA and AF you would have a completely different experience performance wise. And you just aren't going to do that with a normal GTX660.


What do you mean by normal GTX 660? I'm choosing zotac here (non AMP!). Is that "normal"?
m
0
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 12:10:22 AM

AMP I believe is a little higher then stock. Yea its overclocked factory overclocked a little. Is okay its not a bad thing. And I mean normal 660 because it isn't a Ti model not to be confused.
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 12:21:03 AM

oh, i thought normal there refer to reference card :D 
m
0
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 12:29:24 AM

Nopes :)  I should of been more clear but you get the idea man :)  Hope you enjoy your card 2 games sounds awesome I only got BL2. I would of liked AC3.
m
0
l
!