Sign in with
Your question

Best purchasing strategy

Last response: in Systems
February 27, 2013 9:24:56 PM

Hi all, I'm planning to build a rig in late 2014 and since I am a newb to pc gaming and this is going to be my first build I am going to ask a question to all of you.

Which is the best purchasing strategy when building a pc and you have budget constraints?

Building a rig with the best stuff I can afford and upgrade (futureproof)

Or building a mid end rig and when it's no good anymore building another one with mid end technology from the time? (2.5 years between build) I would save the HDD and case though.

Example: My high end rig nowadays would have i5 3570k + 7970/670 + 16 GB 2400mhz

Mid end rig would be an FX 6300 + 7850 or 4300/7870 + 8 GB 1600mhz

This would be the Low end just in case: A10 5800K + 8GB 2400MHZ / Phenom 965 BE + 7770

I just wanted to know because I realized that points in time are key when buying and planning your upgrade strategy is also essential.

Thanks!

More about : purchasing strategy

February 27, 2013 9:37:27 PM

I would go for the strongest I feel comfortable doing, then don't upgrade again until you feel you need/ want to. I don't see why you would be planning 1.5+ years in advance though.
February 27, 2013 9:48:41 PM

lt_dan_zsu said:
I would go for the strongest I feel comfortable doing, then don't upgrade again until you feel you need/ want to. I don't see why you would be planning 1.5+ years in advance though.

Yeah that's never a good way to go. If you're planning in advance you'll never be satisfied with the hardware you have. Because the thing is there will always be newer and better hardware out no matter when you buy. You just have to go for it.
Related resources
February 27, 2013 10:39:35 PM

I'll give what advice I can along those lines - been there, done that. The core components (motherboard, memory, CPU and graphics card) should be your last purchases and done at/near the same time. You can start purchasing items such as a case, HDD/SSD's, OS, optical drive(s) and PSU (if you have an idea of your intended graphics card needs) on an as can be afforded basis prior to the core components. I will highly recommend shying away from purchasing the core components until the very last. It isn't the best way (as already pointed out) but it has worked well for me in the past
Hope it helps
February 27, 2013 10:44:03 PM

Quote:
[I don't see why you would be planning 1.5+ years in advance though./quote]

Just because I have a massive backlog of console games to play from PS2 and Wii and I estimate that it would take 1.5 years or more to beat/enjoy all of them.
That way Iwould get better hardware too. (Probably we would have DDR 4 and Broadwell by the time) My plan is to play late games from the PS2/Xbox gen like Quake 4 , Far Cry and Obvilion first. Since I only have sixth generation consoles , maxing those games would be a big leap in graphics.
Then I would go with the games from this gen. By that time I guess a mid end rig would be able to max all current gen games in 1080p. If I spend some more money , I could buy a good enough rig that could let me play PS4/720 games too ntil the end of that gen by making some compromises on the graphical side.

So I could cover almost three gaming generations with one build.

I feel like it's a weird time to build a rig since we don't know the requirements of next gen games. I guess 660 /7870 will be the bare minimum by then.
!