Sign in with
Your question

MSI R7970 Lightning Fan speed stays at 3150 RPM no matter what I do?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 10, 2013 2:09:16 AM

Hey guys, I have a 7970 lightning and my fan speed refuses to change from 3150 RPM. It is CRAZY loud. In MSI afterburner, all of the settings are unchanged. When I turn off auto fan speed and change the slider around, it says that the fan speed percentage is going down, however when i look at the true RPM it is still at 3150, unchanged. The only time the fans go down in RPM is when the whole system is on idle. Please help. All of my BIOS setting are unchanged except for my CPU clock which is 4.2 GHZ instead of 3.4 GHZ. I am running all of the latest drivers for my graphics card.
January 10, 2013 2:16:01 AM

How are your temps? Are you using the latest Afterburner version? Have you tried checking the "force fan speed update on each period" option?

Have you tried switching to the card's other BIOS and seeing if the issue persists there?
m
l
January 10, 2013 2:29:01 AM

BigMack70 said:
How are your temps? Are you using the latest Afterburner version? Have you tried checking the "force fan speed update on each period" option?

Have you tried switching to the card's other BIOS and seeing if the issue persists there?

My temps are 34c Idle and when gaming they can get up to 50c, so nothing wrong there. Yes, latest version of afterburner, currently trying out the force fan speed update on each period thing and it is still staying at 3140-3160. How would one go about switching to the card's other BIOS?
m
l
Related resources
January 10, 2013 2:34:02 AM

The Lightning card has a little switch on top of the card near the crossfire bridge. Turn your PC off, flip the switch, and boot up again.

When you reboot and fire up Afterburner, the Graphics Card title will read "MSI R7970 Lightning (LN2)" and it will default to stock 7970 clocks (925/1375) until you set an OC profile.
m
l
January 10, 2013 2:46:15 AM

BigMack70 said:
The Lightning card has a little switch on top of the card near the crossfire bridge. Turn your PC off, flip the switch, and boot up again.

When you reboot and fire up Afterburner, the Graphics Card title will read "MSI R7970 Lightning (LN2)" and it will default to stock 7970 clocks (925/1375) until you set an OC profile.

Just changed the Bios, no success :/ 

Still getting 3150 RPM when turning off auto fan and sliding it to both 25% and 100% fan speed and clicking apply. Absolutely no difference.
m
l
January 10, 2013 2:49:42 AM

Weird... that kinda sounds like something is broken with your card. Did this issue just start happening randomly, or did something like a driver update cause it?

You could always try getting rid of afterburner and using either CCC or another program like ASUS GPU Tweak to mess with the fan speed and see if that works.

But it sounds to me like you may be heading down warranty lane...
m
l
January 10, 2013 2:52:12 AM

BigMack70 said:
Weird... that kinda sounds like something is broken with your card. Did this issue just start happening randomly, or did something like a driver update cause it?

You could always try getting rid of afterburner and using either CCC or another program like ASUS GPU Tweak to mess with the fan speed and see if that works.

But it sounds to me like you may be heading down warranty lane...

Crap. No, it's always been like this. I built my computer around a month ago and I just now realized the the fan shouldn't be that loud. I thought that everyone elses GPU fans were like this too, lol.
m
l
January 10, 2013 2:54:10 AM

hahahahahaha you lived with that fan at 100% for a month and thought it was normal? Yowzers... this card is ear-bleedingly loud at 100% fan speed... heck I try to keep mine at 65% speed or below at all times.

If it's always been that way I think you need to warranty your card and get a new one.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 2:56:52 AM

Could be a broken fan controller etc.. But I agree with BigMack, just get a warranty fix or whatever.
m
l
January 10, 2013 2:58:23 AM

Maybe one of the wires for the fan has been cut or disconnected. I know for my laptop, if I cut one of the wires for the fan, it will run at 100% regardless of the thermal load on the system.
m
l
January 10, 2013 2:59:53 AM

BigMack70 said:
hahahahahaha you lived with that fan at 100% for a month and thought it was normal? Yowzers... this card is ear-bleedingly loud at 100% fan speed... heck I try to keep mine at 65% speed or below at all times.

If it's always been that way I think you need to warranty your card and get a new one.

Darn. Well, thanks for the support anyways. Hopefully my next card won't be broken :p 
m
l
!