Age of Mythology quits at startup

Hello,
I just installed AOMGold, running XP with an AOpen AX4SG Max II (Pentium 4,
3.0 GHz, 512MB RAM) and an ATI Radeon 9250 card. I have been through all the
steps on this site (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303032) and none worked.
Video drivers are up to date. I'm pretty confused here and would appreciate
the help.
Thanks.
Mike

Sorry, didn't mention exactly when it quits... Opening sequence runs fun.
Animation looks and sounds good and can run through completely if I let it.
Once that finishes, the screen goes black for a second, flashes black (best
way I can describe it), and then the game's main page comes up for about half
a second. I can see the face and the title on the main menu screen, but the
program shuts down after it flashes on the screen. Then I'm back at my
desktop.

"MrSm" wrote:

> Hello,
> I just installed AOMGold, running XP with an AOpen AX4SG Max II (Pentium 4,
> 3.0 GHz, 512MB RAM) and an ATI Radeon 9250 card. I have been through all the
> steps on this site (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303032) and none worked.
> Video drivers are up to date. I'm pretty confused here and would appreciate
> the help.
> Thanks.
> Mike

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your soundcard. Sounds really
odd, I know but exactly the same thing happened to me with LOTR ROTK.... I
had everything up to date (or so I thought) graphics drivers, DirectX
etc....but it turned out Audigy2 drivers were out of date.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"MrSm" <MrSm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, didn't mention exactly when it quits... Opening sequence runs fun.
> Animation looks and sounds good and can run through completely if I let
> it.
> Once that finishes, the screen goes black for a second, flashes black
> (best
> way I can describe it), and then the game's main page comes up for about
> half
> a second. I can see the face and the title on the main menu screen, but
> the
> program shuts down after it flashes on the screen. Then I'm back at my
> desktop.
>
> "MrSm" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I just installed AOMGold, running XP with an AOpen AX4SG Max II (Pentium
>> 4,
>> 3.0 GHz, 512MB RAM) and an ATI Radeon 9250 card. I have been through all
>> the
>> steps on this site (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303032) and none
>> worked.
>> Video drivers are up to date. I'm pretty confused here and would
>> appreciate
>> the help.
>> Thanks.
>> Mike

Hi Cari.
Indeed, my sound drivers were in need of updating, but to no effect with
AoM. Same problem still occurs. Any other ideas?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Make sure you have the latest drivers for your soundcard. Sounds really
> odd, I know but exactly the same thing happened to me with LOTR ROTK.... I
> had everything up to date (or so I thought) graphics drivers, DirectX
> etc....but it turned out Audigy2 drivers were out of date.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "MrSm" <MrSm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry, didn't mention exactly when it quits... Opening sequence runs fun.
> > Animation looks and sounds good and can run through completely if I let
> > it.
> > Once that finishes, the screen goes black for a second, flashes black
> > (best
> > way I can describe it), and then the game's main page comes up for about
> > half
> > a second. I can see the face and the title on the main menu screen, but
> > the
> > program shuts down after it flashes on the screen. Then I'm back at my
> > desktop.
> >
> > "MrSm" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >> I just installed AOMGold, running XP with an AOpen AX4SG Max II (Pentium
> >> 4,
> >> 3.0 GHz, 512MB RAM) and an ATI Radeon 9250 card. I have been through all
> >> the
> >> steps on this site (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303032) and none
> >> worked.
> >> Video drivers are up to date. I'm pretty confused here and would
> >> appreciate
> >> the help.
> >> Thanks.
> >> Mike

Did you also do all/any updates for AoM?

> Hi Cari.
> Indeed, my sound drivers were in need of updating, but to no effect with
> AoM. Same problem still occurs. Any other ideas?
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Make sure you have the latest drivers for your soundcard. Sounds really
>> odd, I know but exactly the same thing happened to me with LOTR ROTK....
>> had everything up to date (or so I thought) graphics drivers, DirectX
>> etc....but it turned out Audigy2 drivers were out of date.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "MrSm" <MrSm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Sorry, didn't mention exactly when it quits... Opening sequence runs
>> > fun.
>> > Animation looks and sounds good and can run through completely if I let
>> > it.
>> > Once that finishes, the screen goes black for a second, flashes black
>> > (best
>> > way I can describe it), and then the game's main page comes up for
>> > about
>> > half
>> > a second. I can see the face and the title on the main menu screen, but
>> > the
>> > program shuts down after it flashes on the screen. Then I'm back at my
>> > desktop.

No. You mean these?
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/ageofmythology/downloads.html
I haven't tried those yet.

Where can I find other updates?

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> Did you also do all/any updates for AoM?
>

> "MrSm" <MrSm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Cari.
> > Indeed, my sound drivers were in need of updating, but to no effect with
> > AoM. Same problem still occurs. Any other ideas?
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Make sure you have the latest drivers for your soundcard. Sounds really
> >> odd, I know but exactly the same thing happened to me with LOTR ROTK....
> >> had everything up to date (or so I thought) graphics drivers, DirectX
> >> etc....but it turned out Audigy2 drivers were out of date.
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Printing & Imaging
> >>

> >> "MrSm" <MrSm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

No, at the manufacturer's website... in this case it's:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/ageofmythology/egypt_home.asp
--

> No. You mean these?
> http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/ageofmythology/downloads.html
> I haven't tried those yet.
>
> Where can I find other updates?
>

> "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
>
>> Did you also do all/any updates for AoM?
>>

>> "MrSm" <MrSm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Cari.
>> > Indeed, my sound drivers were in need of updating, but to no effect
>> > with
>> > AoM. Same problem still occurs. Any other ideas?

I just installed the patch to update AoM to version 1.10, and the same
problem still occurred at startup. What else can I try?