Multi-monitor (4-5) Through USB Requirements?

traderjoel

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Hope this is the right place to ask. I'm about to buy a new pre-built desktop and trying to get a 4 or 5 screen setup. If I stick with the integrated graphics card and use a USB converter for the additional monitors, would the integrated graphics be enough or would I need to get a new video card anyway? Would it even be affected by the graphics card if the monitors are plugged in via USB? I am worried about potential performance/speed issues. I'm not going to be watching movies or playing games. Just focused mainly on day trading software which isn't really graphically intensive. Would something like an i5 3570, 8GB ram, along with that Intel HD Graphics be sufficient?

I would recommend if you purchase a computer that you get one with a graphics card that or a computer with ample power to support one. I have a feeling that pairing up that many screens to integrated would present a problem. Do you have a computer in mind?

Right.... Its a low profile card... That uses almost no power. It is therefore compatible with any computer that has pcie and two back slots... even slim form factor ones. I.e. everything but proprietary PCs that don't except GPUs at all.

It fits just fine in a normal case just like all low profile cards... Its not exactly hard to put something small in a bigger space

traderjoel

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Yea but then you need to explain to him that he needs to buy an profile changer for the card if in the event his case expansion slots are full size.

Until you know his computer has low profile expansion slots you should hold off onto that recommendation.