Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2013 12:53:46 AM

I need help on upgrading my computer

General Information
Approximate Purchase Date: Late Next Month

Budget Range: $400-700

System Usage: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: PSU, Motherboard, CPU, GPU (SLI support would be nice), RAM, and the Case

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: The only preference I have would be to upgrade to an Intel motherboard (with UEFI BIOS) with an Nvidia GPU GTX 600 series

Overclocking: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I use it mainly for gaming: Crysis 3, Hawken, Planetside 2, Supreme Commander 2, Far Cry 3, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, AC 3, ME 3, etc. On the side I use the adobe CS6 creative suite, mainly Flash and Aftereffects. I also do some programming in C#, python, and Java.

Why Are You Upgrading: The reason I am upgrading is because the game listed above are getting a crawling 20 fps on the lowest settings and the render times and the cgi rendering is terrible for 3d modeling and production editing. Also I like having a computer that is capable of upgradability for the future instead of buy a rig now and buy another rig later.

The setup I have now is a HP Pavilion Elite h8-1150z

The specs are:
• 300 watt PSU
• Geforce GT 530 2GB
• AMD FX-8100 Eight Core 2.8 GHz
• 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 PC3-10600
• 1 TB, 7200 rpm SATA 3G
• 4x SuperMulti Blu-ray Burner
• 802.11 b/g/n PCI Express Wireless mini card 1x1
• 2311x 58.4 cm (23 inch) WLED backlit monitor (It has a VGA, DVI, and HDMI connector)
• Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
• Random speakers, mouse, and keyboard (the speakers use a 3.5mm jack)

The Mobos specs are (from HPs site):

Chipset • AMD 970

Memory • Memory slots: 4 DIMMS

• Maximum memory:
o 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) (64-bit OS)
o 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) (32-bit OS)

Front-side-bus (processor dependent) • UMI (Unified Media Interface)

• 4 lanes, 5 GT/s per lane

Integrated LAN • Technology: Realtek RTL8171EH-CG
• Data transfer speeds: up to 10/100/1000 Mb/s
• Transmission standards: 1000-Base-T Ethernet

Expansion Slots • PCI Express x16: 1
• PCI Express x1: 3
• PCI Express x1 mini card socket with USB connector: 1

Sound • Integrated High Definition Audio
• Audio CODED: IDT 92HD89E
• Beats audio

Drive Bays • 13.33 cm (5.25 inch): 2
• 8.89 cm (3.5 inch) HDD: 3

The motherboard is an Angelica Motherboard from Gigabyte

My part list: I have complied a list of what I thought was a good rig but I am fairly new with building PC rigs, thus I am somewhat skeptical of the parts I picked:

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80637i53350P

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

GPU: EVGA 01G-P4-2650-KR GeForce GTX 650 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

The total for those parts is $641.94

P.S Any suggestion is appreciated

More about : 400 700 budget rig

Best solution

February 28, 2013 3:40:58 AM

THose specs on your current system are livable and around good enough for gaming with one exception....... that graphics card. I think you will be much happier with a more powerful psu and a better card than a new system. The 550 is not really that great of a card now and for around 400 you can get:

Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

You will save 200 or more from that build and have a really good mid range card. If you are sticking to Nvidia look at a 660ti card or even perhaps a 670 if you still want to burn 600 dollars.

By the way those Rosewell cases in my opinion look horrible. I would spend more on something like a fractal design core 3000. Its black, minimal, and has a good amount of air flow and slot spaces. Remember you can always move your components from your current system to a new case with the card and psu to make you feel like your part of the master custom pc race.
February 28, 2013 3:42:25 AM

edit: I thought I read 550 sorry. The same still goes though.
Related resources
February 28, 2013 11:34:21 AM

Thanks nseamans for your response. I have I a few questions about the parts you suggested: I am assuming 3rd gen pci express is compatible with 1st gen on my Angelica motherboard? Also is the chipset and processor in my motherboard a so it will not bottleneck the Radeon HD 7950 you suggested? On a side note will a AMD CPU and a AMD GPU preform to a greater extent than a AMD CPU with a Nvidia GPU or does it not have a difference.

I agree with that the Rosewell case is terrible and i like the case you suggest. I also like the PSU you suggested.
Thanks again

nseamans said:
THose specs on your current system are livable and around good enough for gaming with one exception....... that graphics card. I think you will be much happier with a more powerful psu and a better card than a new system. The 550 is not really that great of a card now and for around 400 you can get:

Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

You will save 200 or more from that build and have a really good mid range card. If you are sticking to Nvidia look at a 660ti card or even perhaps a 670 if you still want to burn 600 dollars.

By the way those Rosewell cases in my opinion look horrible. I would spend more on something like a fractal design core 3000. Its black, minimal, and has a good amount of air flow and slot spaces. Remember you can always move your components from your current system to a new case with the card and psu to make you feel like your part of the master custom pc race.

February 28, 2013 1:11:34 PM

Also about the amd idea. Remember that running components from the same company is the optimal solution usually and also AMD cards are ranked slightly better for value to performance.
February 28, 2013 1:33:11 PM

I would keep the processor, hdd and ram. Then upgrade everything else. Your current cpu is still actually quite good so saving that would put aside alot more money for the gpu etc... Also, the 7950 is definitely a high end card, not mid ranged.
February 28, 2013 11:35:57 PM

Thanks for your input Rawbunnie. So I should upgrade everything except the processor, hdd and ram; do you recommend any parts or manufactures for such parts? I am leaning towards an AMD Radeon 7850 or 7950 but not sure which manufacturer is the best, as well as a 650W or 750W PSU (TX or GS series) from Corsair. I am still trying to find a good case with support for GPUs like the 7850 and the 7950 and with good cooling options (the case nseamans suggested was good but I would like more of a variety of options).

Rawbunnie said:
I would keep the processor, hdd and ram. Then upgrade everything else. Your current cpu is still actually quite good so saving that would put aside alot more money for the gpu etc... Also, the 7950 is definitely a high end card, not mid ranged.

March 1, 2013 8:19:15 PM

Other good cases:

Corsair Obsidian Series 550D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper (SGC-5000-KKN1) Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I reccomended the AMD solution because it represents the best value for the money.

Also remember there may be other manufactures but the core card is the amd or nvidia architecture. I really like Asus solutions, they come in both amd and nvidia flavors. They cost more but that is because of them possessing more fans, better heat sinks, etc.

Your processor is only 1 gen behind and that gen was more of a architecture upgrade and uses pretty much the same ideas.
March 3, 2013 1:37:00 AM

Best answer selected by Crusader10277.
!