Jerdann

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
CPU: i5 3570k
GPU: MSI GTX 660 ti PE/OC
Motherboard: AsRock Extreme4
PSU: Corsair CX750
Ram: 16gb Corsair Vengeance

OKay - So my computer goes into idle, any keypresses wont get it out of sleep mode.
If I shut it down, monitor turns off, keyboard and mouse as well. Everything in the tower still running and not actually shut down.

Prior to this - I had a different motherboard and power supply which both died on me, so I replaced them to the current parts, after re-installing windows (so I didnt have driver issues, bios, whateva)

So what is this?
I figured it might have been a hardware issue, ive unplugged and replugged everything in, checked wiring, even bought a new case just incase (my old cases power button was a bit off, and it felt like it was stuck down half the time)

So I literally cant figure this out.

Any ideas?

Things to check:
1) latest BIOS
2) BIOS is set properly (Suspend-to-RAM which I think is S3)
3) run MEMTEST (or start the memory diagnostic from Windows which will reboot. Test for at least 15 minutes, preferably two hours)

4) Use HYBRID SLEEP
5) Make sure you use the Keyboard/Mouse USB connections on the motherboard
6) Read your motherboard manual (anything related to Standby or USB)

flank2

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
also if any of the above doesn't help, try disabling wake on lan in your bios. I had a very similar issue with an intel mobo and after disabling WOL the computer would shut down normally.

Jerdann

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Hey there, sorry for the late replies.

Im not using windows 8, so that isnt the issue.

My mouse and keyboard are plugged in through USB - and it may just be my keyboard.
Im using the diablo 3 steelseries mouse, but my keyboard is I believe a microsoft / reclusa or something razer hybrid. Girlfriend tried to get me a gift and surprise me cause she knows I wanted a razer keyboard, but the 129 dollar pricetag didnt sit well with her, but I use it anyways, cause it does the trick.

I had a couple issues with it before.

My bios is up to date, Ill go through the settings and see what I can find.
Posting an update in a couple minutes.

Thanks again

EDITS;
Memtest ran fine, no issues found.
Suspend to Ram is set to auto. Only other option was disable, tried that, didnt work. Switched it back to Auto.
Hybrid sleep is in check.
Unplugging the keyboard didnt change this either.

Switched USB ports on the mobo, and it installed some drivers for the mouse and keyboard again. Though Im going to assume this is just for the port changes.

I wonder if Dr.Debug (motherboard debug monitor thing) shows any values when I try to shut down and it hangs.
Be back again in a minute or two.

EDIT AGAIN - Okay, so I shut it down and took the side panel off, nothing showed up on the debug menu until the monitor shut down.
I got the error code 05.
Which going by the book, means
"OEM Initialization before Microcode loading"
Wouldnt that be a boot error?
Ill see what I can google.