Is a Good $300 Build Possible?

I would like to build a low-end system for a friend. I would like to stay close to $300. It won't need monitor, keyboard, mouse, or OS. The system will be mainly used for things like email, web browsing, facebook apps, and a few free to play games.
12 answers Last reply
More about good build possible
  1. PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Gvxd
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Gvxd/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Gvxd/benchmarks/

    CPU: AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75M-DGS Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($59.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($28.77 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.73 @ Compuvest)
    Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.90 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($43.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $327.35
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-27 23:52 EST-0500)

    if its to expensive you could drop down to an a6 . but i have basically the same build and it runs fine for what your friend wants to do . the only difference in my build is i am using ddr3 1866 memory, and a 1 tb hard drive .
  2. You will have to allow around $400 to make a decent build IMO
  3. bodeen2012 said:
    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Gvxd
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Gvxd/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Gvxd/benchmarks/

    CPU: AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75M-DGS Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($59.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($28.77 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.73 @ Compuvest)
    Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.90 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($43.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $327.35
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-27 23:52 EST-0500)

    if its to expensive you could drop down to an a6 . but i have basically the same build and it runs fine for what your friend wants to do . the only difference in my build is i am using ddr3 1866 memory, and a 1 tb hard drive .


    Change the build with this:


    Case/PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811208056 (-$29)

    RAM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148499 (+4 and 20% better performance).

    HDD
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-500GB-32MB-Cache-7200RPM-Desktop-3-5-Hard-Drive-1-Year-Warranty-/150743476714?pt=US_Internal_Hard_Disk_Drives&hash=item231902e9ea

    (-$15)

    It is now cheaper, smaller, and better performing.

    He could play any game out now.
  4. Thanks for all the information. I suppose i am trying to be to picky but for some reason I am not sold on any of these configurations so far. What could I do for $400?

    I will not need optical drive, OS, Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor
  5. Deno01 said:
    Thanks for all the information. I suppose i am trying to be to picky but for some reason I am not sold on any of these configurations so far. What could I do for $400?

    I will not need optical drive, OS, Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor



    You could make a good Phenom II x4 + 7850 1GB Build. I recommend this if he plays under 1080p. He would max out everything for a couple years.
  6. PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GDcj
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GDcj/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GDcj/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Pentium G2120 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($77.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($57.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($169.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Xion XON-160PCB ATX Mid Tower Case w/500W Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $404.93
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-28 16:33 EST-0500)
  7. Thank you Bodeen, but the video card will most-likely be overkill for what the system will be used for. I have been considering the Sapphire Radeon HD 6670. I know it is an older card but the games that will be played on the system only require GeForce 2 or equivalent. I realize that the Radeon is basically a generation behind, but considering the limited requirements, it should run those games for a long time.
  8. I wouldn't recommend that case/PSU combo.
  9. Deno01 said:
    Thank you Bodeen, but the video card will most-likely be overkill for what the system will be used for. I have been considering the Sapphire Radeon HD 6670. I know it is an older card but the games that will be played on the system only require GeForce 2 or equivalent. I realize that the Radeon is basically a generation behind, but considering the limited requirements, it should run those games for a long time.

    In that case I recommend an HD7750 which is newer gen.
  10. FinneousPJ said:
    I wouldn't recommend that case/PSU combo.

    with such a limited budget the choices are limited . the first case i recommended would be better but it also would require a power supply which would drive the price up .
  11. $400 build:

    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GEL4
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GEL4/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GEL4/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Pentium G2020 2.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock B75M-GL Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($66.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($30.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7750 2GB Video Card ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $393.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-28 18:37 EST-0500)

    $300 Build:

    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GEZn
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GEZn/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GEZn/benchmarks/

    CPU: AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock FM2A55M-DGS Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($31.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Rosewill Line ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec Basiq 350W ATX12V Power Supply ($28.83 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $306.77
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-28 18:53 EST-0500)
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product