Hdmi to vga NVIDIA optimus

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoBornLion

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
I have a DELL XPS 15 (L502X) laptop with NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 525M graphics processor on it. It only supports the HDMI out.

I was having this old monitor LG L1730S with only vga connection. I decided to buy the HDMI to DVI and a DVI to VGA connectors as shown in the pic. I connect them back to back(as shown in picture) to plug in the VGA going towards the monitor but it does not show up.

I have tried and tested the dvi to vga connector a desktop with nvidia 9600GT and it works like a charm. Any Idea where I could be going wrong??? Is something special needed to convert HDMI to DVI?
84724324.jpg

21771140.jpg

59144559.jpg

46895907.jpg

Solution
HDMI is digital only.
DVI can carry both digital and analog, but if you use HDMI-to-DVI, there is only digital signal.
DVI-to-VGA makes use of analog part of DVI, so it can't work this way.

The only option is active convertor (some electronics to convert digital to analog), will cost a little more than this.

Endeer

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
HDMI is digital only.
DVI can carry both digital and analog, but if you use HDMI-to-DVI, there is only digital signal.
DVI-to-VGA makes use of analog part of DVI, so it can't work this way.

The only option is active convertor (some electronics to convert digital to analog), will cost a little more than this.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts