Biased people

G

I am really upset about the comments that were made in the rdram articles especially concerning the ones about other websites saying ddr is worst than rdram you say that they were told to write that and that the articles were biased. I notice in the articles that you write concerning rdram is that all you do is seem to behead rambus. You wrote the article with a lot of intensity with what seems like a lot of hatred why should I should i take your advice and not the people who wrote that rdram is better?

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Well, I have to admit that I am biased against RAMBUS. They (as found by US and German courts) introduced their technology into an open standard (JEDEC & SDRAM) and then, after the standard was bought into by the industry, claimed patents on this technology and fraudulantly attempted to force memory and chipset manus to pay exhorbitant royalties for DDR licenses. This was an attempt to force the industry to move to Rambus' new memory type "RDRAM." They also entered into contracts and stock deals with Intel that were designed to force the market to use RDRAM. Prices for Intel based high-performance systems were so inflated due to the high cost of RDRAM that Intel lost huge mind share in the enthusiast and professional markets. These contract have been modified as Intel started to lose market share due to their "RDRAM-only" policies. While DDR is already significantly higher performing (in and of itself) than the highest performing or upcoming RDRAM, these contracts and/or policies still force customers to RDRAM for the highest-performing P4 systems.

While RDRAM is theoretically better and has a longer future than SDRAM, the memory manus have had an extremely difficult time ramping it to higher speeds. This is because at the extremely high cycles we are talking about 800-1100MHz, a tiny flaw can causes huge yield problems (losing 80-90% of a batch of chips).

Intel also has programs that provide huge funds for their vendors' advertising campaigns. This allows them significant control over PC vendors' product lines. Although an certain AMD, Caruso or Cyrix system may out-perform a comparable Intel system, the vendor is forced to label the Intel systems with a higher and completely different number family. This gives the impression that the Intel based systems are higher performing. They have also prevented most PC manu's from introducing non-Intel systems into "business-class" systems. Take a look at Compaq's line-up. They do this by treatening to remove advertising subsidies, by bribing with additional subsidies, threatening non-disclosure of upcoming products, exclusive pricing deals, and stock deals for executives. All of these have been documented at one time or another. Intel has been investigated by the FTC several times for illegal monopolistic business practices. As they can argue that they are not a monopoly (I agree), they have not been indicted. Still, these practices are designed to provide higher profits to their shareholders, the consumer be damned!

Since RAMBUS has shown themselves willing to stoop to fraud (as judged by the courts) to gain marketshare, I refuse to support them with my hard-earned $$. Until Intel removes themselves significantly from this entanglement by providing equivalent performing chipsets for non RAMBUS based systems, I will avoid purchasing their products unless I have an overriding need for a specific feature. I also encourage others to do the same. As Intel is a business and it all comes down to $$, Intel will eventually have to give in to the pressure - they have already started - and provide what is best for the consumer. The consumer votes with $$, not with Ooooohhhhh's and Aaaaahhhhh's over cool technology.

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Everyone with an opinion is biased. You have to choose for yourself who you should and should not listen to.

Let’s take this forum for example:
Raystonn favors Intel over AMD, and will always argue in favor of Intel. I always listen (or read as the case may be) to Ray because even if I don’t agree with him, everything he says is intelligent and he usually has sources to back up his claims.
AMD_Meltdown also favors Intel over AMD, and will always argue in favor of Intel. However, I rarely ever listen to what he has to say (write), because most of the time he’s talking (writing) out of his ass. He exaggerates wildly, and will go out of his way flame AMD at every possible opportunity regardless of what they’ve done.

I guess my point is you should always read a number of hardware review sites with different perspectives if you want to get an accurate view of the way things really are.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

G

I kinda of didnt get my point across right what i meant to say is that the article took a whole page about how some other sites were raving about rdram. I wanted to say that the whole article was nothing more to point out that this site is biased torward rdram and will have no reasoning.