Help me finish my build please!

iEddy

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hey guys! So I'm building a new PC, i've picked most of the parts but I'm new to this and need some advice. What I have so far:

Intel i5-3570k = $230
Z77 Mpower = $198
OCZ vector SATA3 128gb = $155
Seagate SATA3 2TB = $94
G.Skill Trident-X 8gb Kit 2400 = $79
Antec HCG 750 watt = $135
Coolermaster HAF X 942 = $177

I'm currently missing a graphics card I'm will to spend another $400 on it, also could you guys please tell me if the parts are all compatible. If there are parts that are not worth it or better value for money please don't hesitate to tell me.

I live in Australia so all these parts are off the MSY website, any recommendations for parts could you please also get off the site, the URL is:http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

Thanks in advance!

Edit 1: any help in future proofing the build would also be appreciated
Edit 2: I will mostly use the build to play games(BF3, LoL, TF2, Crysis 3), ill also be doing a bit of editing and photoshopping on it
Edit 3: Also recommendations on CPU fans and other things I need to OC would be a delight

Solution

Future proofing is kind of a moot point. If you try to plan for when you will have your build 2 years from now, you will never be satisfied with what you have now. There's always going to be newer and better hardware coming down the pike. You just have to go for it. When you plan a build, plan for now, not later.

A lot of stuff you have on this build is way overkill. You don't need DDR3 2400 as that will lead to Intel voiding your warranty. You also don't need a motherboard that expensive either. Ones that are $50 cheaper will get the job done. You could also get a less expensive case - the HAF XM is $50 cheaper as well.

Here is what I would suggest...

g-unit1111

Titan

Future proofing is kind of a moot point. If you try to plan for when you will have your build 2 years from now, you will never be satisfied with what you have now. There's always going to be newer and better hardware coming down the pike. You just have to go for it. When you plan a build, plan for now, not later.

A lot of stuff you have on this build is way overkill. You don't need DDR3 2400 as that will lead to Intel voiding your warranty. You also don't need a motherboard that expensive either. Ones that are $50 cheaper will get the job done. You could also get a less expensive case - the HAF XM is $50 cheaper as well.

Here is what I would suggest:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($235.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($35.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($169.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.00 @ Foxcomp)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.00 @ Scorptec)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($419.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case ($169.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $1486.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-01 04:58 EST+1100)

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan

If you're planning for SLI / Crossfire the 670 is an excellent value. Two of them come close to matching the GTX 690 within a couple of FPS. The Radeon 7970 GHz edition is currently the best single monitor card, but two of them can get quite expensive.