Sign in with
Your question

Help! My computer won't detect my graphics card!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 10, 2013 2:37:08 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a new graphics card (Asus Radeon 7770 HD 1GB) and placed it in the PCIe slot. But when I start my computer it doesn't detect that it's there so I can't install drivers or use the card. Under Device Manager, the only display card that shows up is the on-board one. All I get when I plug in the monitor to the graphics card is a blank screen. When the PC boots I hear the card whir a few times then it settles down to a silent spin. I'm a bit of a PC noob and this is the first time I've tried to replace components myself. What can I do to sort it out?

Background:

The computer was a custom built PC made by a friend 5 or 6 years ago. He'd put an Inno3D GF 7600 GT in at the time, which had been working fine til a few weeks ago when I stopped getting a display from it. I took it to a computer shop who checked it and said my graphics card had gone but that the motherboard had an onboard card which I could use instead. That's what I've been doing but I missed gaming and decided to try and install a new graphics card myself.

Computer specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M55plus-53g
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+
PSU: Cooler Master Real Power 550w
RAM: 4GB
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit

So far I've tried:
1 - Reseating the card 3 or 4 times. I'm pretty sure it's in right.
2 - Trying different 6 pin cables directly from the PSU
3 - Updating BIOS
4 - Setting BIOS to boot from PCI not on-board graphics
5 - Disabling on-board graphics in safe mode and then restarting.

I'm really stuck and don't know what to try next. I'm hoping that it's not going to be a case of the motherboard not working any more.

Is there anything I've missed or is also worth trying?

Thanks in advance!
January 10, 2013 2:45:55 PM

Also I should say that there are no drivers on my computer for my old graphics card. Presumably the comuter store removed them when they took it out.
!