Sign in with
Your question

Dram LED and Hard Drive Sounds

Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2013 12:41:18 PM

Hi!
For the first time of my life, I've built myself an entire computer. But you know, without fails, you don't learn! ...and I fail...
Well I have two problems I want to solve:

1. DRAM LED
Maybe It's not a big problem, but when I start my computer, the Dram LED if flashing red for, like, 2 seconds and then everything's just fine! When I google the problem, everyone having this problem is not able to see anything on screen. In my case, everything works! (in my case... ha ha... *hmm* well...)

2. HARD DRIVE
The only piece I didn't buy is the hard drive, so I use an old Hard Drive freaking standard of 160 GB. The problem is that since I succeedd to install Win7, I can hear the hard drive spins, then stops... spins... then stops... spins... etc. While it's stopping I can't click anywhere! Even Paint is freaking lagging!

Here's my stuff:

POWER SUPPLY
Corsair
TX650M

MOTHERBOARD
Asus
M5A97 R2.0

RAM 2x4GB
amd
DDR3 1.6 GHz

CPU
amd
Am3+ FX 8320
8-core
3.5 GHz
125 W

HARD DRIVE
Wesern Digital 160 GB
SATA connections
nothing more standard
It was the second hard drive of my old computer (D) if this can help

I don't think the video card (or the case) is a problem...
Maybe I can solve the problem with the BIOS?
Before I do any update (Win7 or even motherboard driver), I want to be sure this could be normal

thanks for your help
February 28, 2013 4:24:03 PM

I am no expert but here is what your motherboard's manual says :

''DRAM LED checks the DRAM in sequence during motherboard booting process. If an
error is found , the LED next to the error device will continue lighting until the problem
is solved. ''

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/414970/Asus-M5a97-R2-0...

In other words, I'm pretty sure that DRAM LED flashing for a second or two is no problem at all. In fact, it seems absolutely normal.

As for the hard drive, have you tried using another one ?
m
l
February 28, 2013 5:07:11 PM

Hey thanks for the answer! Okay, now I'm fully concentrated about the HDD.
I've already tried switching the Hard disk for another one. Still the same thing.

Can it be a problem of compatibility or even do I give too much power to the HDD or something?
Really, I don't see. I did a MemOK test and the RAM seems okay.
m
l
!