Dram LED and Hard Drive Sounds

burnt14

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
Hi!
For the first time of my life, I've built myself an entire computer. But you know, without fails, you don't learn! ...and I fail...
Well I have two problems I want to solve:

1. DRAM LED
Maybe It's not a big problem, but when I start my computer, the Dram LED if flashing red for, like, 2 seconds and then everything's just fine! When I google the problem, everyone having this problem is not able to see anything on screen. In my case, everything works! (in my case... ha ha... *hmm* well...)

2. HARD DRIVE
The only piece I didn't buy is the hard drive, so I use an old Hard Drive freaking standard of 160 GB. The problem is that since I succeedd to install Win7, I can hear the hard drive spins, then stops... spins... then stops... spins... etc. While it's stopping I can't click anywhere! Even Paint is freaking lagging!

Here's my stuff:

POWER SUPPLY
Corsair
TX650M

MOTHERBOARD
Asus
M5A97 R2.0

RAM 2x4GB
amd
DDR3 1.6 GHz

CPU
amd
Am3+ FX 8320
8-core
3.5 GHz
125 W

HARD DRIVE
Wesern Digital 160 GB
SATA connections
nothing more standard
It was the second hard drive of my old computer (D) if this can help

I don't think the video card (or the case) is a problem...
Maybe I can solve the problem with the BIOS?
Before I do any update (Win7 or even motherboard driver), I want to be sure this could be normal

thanks for your help

Djak372

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
I am no expert but here is what your motherboard's manual says :

''DRAM LED checks the DRAM in sequence during motherboard booting process. If an
error is found , the LED next to the error device will continue lighting until the problem
is solved. ''

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/414970/Asus-M5a97-R2-0-User-Manual.html?page=34#manual

In other words, I'm pretty sure that DRAM LED flashing for a second or two is no problem at all. In fact, it seems absolutely normal.

As for the hard drive, have you tried using another one ?

burnt14

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
Hey thanks for the answer! Okay, now I'm fully concentrated about the HDD.
I've already tried switching the Hard disk for another one. Still the same thing.

Can it be a problem of compatibility or even do I give too much power to the HDD or something?
Really, I don't see. I did a MemOK test and the RAM seems okay.