Random shut down, bizarre behviour trying to start, now wont start.

Tzara

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
I've had this computer for a couple of years now, running Windows XP, never had any problems.

I keep it updated and ran an MSE scan a few days ago which was clean.

This morning I went on facebook and youtube, nothing unusual. Computer suddenly goes to restart.

It restarts a few times in a row before finally getting to my desktop, then restarts again.

During these reboots I see a flicker of a blue screen but it disappears too quickly to read it.

Another reboot later and the computer beeps, then beeps frantically, and then turns into a non-stop beep.

I shut down, leave it for an hour, come back and start it up and it puts me in BIOS. I exit and it asks me to save changes, which I had made none so I clicked okay, thinking whatever maybe it changed something it needed to change itself (not computer savvy).

It reboots again, this time the boot screen is a logo screen I've never seen before, then it reboots again, and again. And now, when I try to turn the computer on it's nothing but a blank screen.

:heink:

Tzara

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Okay, I almost killed myself getting it open but it says Sparkle Power Int'l Ltd and the model# FSP300-60ATV.

For the record, if dust could kill, that could be why she's dead.

Anyways, do we just take a gamble and buy a new power supply? Or is it cheaper just to get another used computer and somehow connect the hard drive to transfer files?

And thank you for your speedy replies and patience :)

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Well, that depends on the specifications of the rest of the computer. Do you know what they might be ? For example:

CPU - make and model
RAM - amount and type
Storage - HDD/SSD

That's about all the pricey components there are in a computer.

Post that and we can help you decide.

The power supply is fairly old, so I'm guessing the rest of the computer are also fairly old.

AND, yes, dust can kill a computer, usually by suffocating the air flow and inducing thermal problems causing some components to wear out very quickly under high heat.

Tzara

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Yea, I have no idea the answer to those questions, my boyfriend might though. He doesn't get home for 4 hours, so I guess I'm stuck using his computer until then.

Thanks for the info about dust. I'll see what the other half's opinion is when he gets home, if he knows the answers to those specs, etc.