Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia 700 Series / Step Up Program

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 10, 2013 3:34:17 PM

Hello Fellow techie's,

Has anyone heard of any new about the next series for Nvidia? Can only guess is would be the 700 series?

I just really want to upgrade my 470 gtx but I don't want to do it if the new cards are coming out soon...

So EVGA has this program called Step Up, and if you are not familiar with it here is the link : http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

It supposedly guarantees that if you buy a card and apply for the step up program you can upgrade your card with a new model and pay the difference (within 90 days of original purchase or acceptance?).. Has anyone had experience with this, and if so, would now be a great time to buy a card since (I am hopeful) the new line will come out within 90 days?

Also, the only cards on the list for the Step up program are usually stock cards, no FTW, etc... How much more beneficial is it to get something like a FTW or super clock videocard?

Thanks for the help
January 10, 2013 3:50:19 PM

Not yet. We should hear something at their GPU Technology Conference (March 18-21).

Can't wait. I want the 790 GTX. Already have the 590 GTX and love it.
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 3:54:21 PM

next2heaven said:
Not yet. We should hear something at their GPU Technology Conference (March 18-21).

Can't wait. I want the 790 GTX. Already have the 590 GTX and love it.

Honestly paying 1G for another gpu just isnt worth it i would get a 780 honestly and be done with it but yea im guessing around march or so.
Related resources
January 10, 2013 3:55:48 PM

you must also purchase additional extended warranty that costs from 25eur/usd for 200-300eur/usd cards upwards.

best
revro
January 10, 2013 3:56:07 PM

I hate it but I love being bleeding edge. I love running current gen games at full specs without any problems.
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2013 3:57:28 PM

techbaddie said:
Hello Fellow techie's,

Has anyone heard of any new about the next series for Nvidia? Can only guess is would be the 700 series?

I just really want to upgrade my 470 gtx but I don't want to do it if the new cards are coming out soon...

So EVGA has this program called Step Up, and if you are not familiar with it here is the link : http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

It supposedly guarantees that if you buy a card and apply for the step up program you can upgrade your card with a new model and pay the difference (within 90 days of original purchase or acceptance?).. Has anyone had experience with this, and if so, would now be a great time to buy a card since (I am hopeful) the new line will come out within 90 days?

Also, the only cards on the list for the Step up program are usually stock cards, no FTW, etc... How much more beneficial is it to get something like a FTW or super clock videocard?

Thanks for the help

Bad idea to update now if i were you i would wait it out if you waiting on nvidia. A 770 from a 470 would be well worth it in my opinion and when you deal with step up you have to pay for extra for shipping etc. If you was to buy a new card like the 670 and you see the 770 specs you going to want to sell your gpu and i dont think thats a good idea to..Just wait it out
January 10, 2013 4:00:56 PM

Ok, thanks very much for the thoughts everyone
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 10, 2013 4:21:15 PM

I was looking at doing exactly this - getting a GTX670 now and swapping it for a GTX770. I'm a bit put off by the research I did though. From what I understand, I have to pay extra for the extended warranty, but that extended warranty isn't actually transferred to the GTX770. So I'm effectively trading my warranty extension for the ability to 'step up'.

Plus the 90-day limitation - as people have pointed out, there's no guarantee yet they'll be out in 90 days. And then there's the queue - how long will it take to actually get a GTX770 if loads of people are putting in orders? Remember what availability was like for GTX480?

EDIT: Also, in this example, GTX670 price is based on your proof of purchase (which must be from an authorised retailer, though I couldn't find a list of those) while GTX770 price is decided by EVGA (the RRP I suppose). I'd probably end up paying more than the real price difference if I got a good deal on the GTX670.
!