Closed Solved

Need to build a mid-range rig.

Hi All,

My desktop is on it's way out. The motherboard keeps killer my harddrives so I know it's time for a replace. Plus I would like to get out of the old am2 boards.

I believe I can re-use some of the old parts for my new rig to help keep costs down. What I plan to keep are below:

Case:
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

Hard-drives:
2 - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST1000DM005/HD103SJ 1TB

PSU:
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650-Watt TX Series 80 Plus
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X24ISU/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So pretty much I'm looking for a good motherboard, cpu, ,memory and video card. The desktop would be used mainly for streaming movies through windows media center and as a work machine for my girlfriend.

Budget $300 but I would probably exclude the video card from the budget if I see a really good deal on one. Don't know if this helps with cost vs. online deals but I have a microcenter near me.
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need build range
  1. Best answer
    i dont know whether you will stick with AMD or pick whichever is better... thus i put the most balanced performance :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.00 @ Amazon)
    Total: $258.98
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-28 11:03 EST-0500)

btw if you dont do hardcore gaming, no need to buy graphic card because intel HD graphic is powerful enough to do HD movie playback :) and help you keep the electricity bill down
  2. AMD Radeon said:
    i dont know whether you will stick with AMD or pick whichever is better... thus i put the most balanced performance :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.00 @ Amazon)
    Total: $258.98
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-28 11:03 EST-0500)

btw if you dont do hardcore gaming, no need to buy graphic card because intel HD graphic is powerful enough to do HD movie playback :) and help you keep the electricity bill down

Thanks for the quick reply. No I hold no favoritism towards any cpu company. I have an i7 and i5 laptop but I've always had amd for desktops. I guess mostly because of cost.
  3. Best answer selected by imxelite.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Hard Drives Systems Product