Sign in with
Your question

What do you think?

Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2013 2:29:37 PM

Hi there. Im returning to homebuild after a few years out of the game. Like 5 or 6. So a bit rusty. Wondering peoples opinions on this setup:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GzI7

Its fairly much what I had in mind. Except i couldnt find 240GB Corsair® Neutron GTX SSD so picked another drive. My reason for going with stock cooling and a single graphics card was i intend to do the odd upgrade and addition later in the year when ive more money. But on the whole I think Im on the right track. Any major mistakes on this build anyone can spot?

Its going to be used mostly for gaming, bf3 and fc3 multiplayer and whatever else comes out the next three years. And as a mass storage for movies and music, probably streaming over windows media player or something like that. And then the usual day to day stuff.

More about : question

February 28, 2013 2:36:13 PM

That's a pretty hefty pricetag

Do you really need top of the line CPU, GFX card and PSU ?
you could easily save $1000 and get 90% of the performance ...

I have 2 x GTX 570 in SLI and i7 3570K CPU and everything runs at 1920x1280 80+ fps on max settings.
February 28, 2013 2:37:48 PM

I think the high priced cpu and mobo are a huge mistake. In gaming your never going to see the performance gains I think you have in mind. Especially not before the 3rd gen cpus aren't relevant anymore.

Personally. I'd drop to a 3570k Invest the savings into a nice custom liquid cooling system and OC the crap out of it. Love the titan choice thou.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 28, 2013 2:40:08 PM

Well cpu and graphic Im thinking long term. Like at least the next three years miminum with no more investment if I dont have to. Like say I end up broke the next few years and cant do any more to it?

PSU im not too concerned with just went top of the line as i want to put in a better cooling solution and overclock down the line but I guess id get away with a mid range 800w? Any recommendations on that front?
February 28, 2013 2:43:49 PM

Yeah titan rocks, im hoping later in the year to afford a second one which will be scary stuff gfx wise :D 
February 28, 2013 2:45:34 PM

I'd go with an i5-3570K ($230) and a nice LGA1155 motherboard ($200). Also, the nicer models of HD 7970 GHz and GTX 680 offer much greater value. ($500)

You're using two sticks of RAM on a quad channel memory controller o.O
February 28, 2013 2:49:11 PM

I love everything about the system, though I'd go with 4x2GB or 4x4GB of RAM to take advantage of the quad-channel throughput.

Do you need all of it? Probably not, but if you can why the heck not?! There are plenty of ways you could save many dollars here and there on the build, but I'm not thinking you're too concerned with that?

Have you considered Nvidia surround gaming? I just made the switch and I'm hooked.
February 28, 2013 2:49:12 PM

I still think (even for thinking future) that you could spend your money wiser.
I agree with the above (fokissed) in all except the GPU. I'd stick with the Titan if you have the money. That's the best card you can get.

Why the Windows 7 Pro? What feature are you needing?
If that's not a must drop that to windows home as well... Save a little extra there.
February 28, 2013 2:51:00 PM

superb121 said:
Yeah titan rocks, im hoping later in the year to afford a second one which will be scary stuff gfx wise :D 

In that case, if you are going for SLI, then by all means a Titan(s) would be ideal. Some games don't see any scaling or refuse to work with SLI, and that is when Titan will hold it's own. It's pricey, but that's the nature of the beast.
February 28, 2013 2:52:28 PM

ubercake said:
I love everything about the system, though I'd go with 4x2GB or 4x4GB of RAM to take advantage of the quad-channel throughput.

Do you need all of it? Probably not, but if you can why the heck not?! There are plenty of ways you could save many dollars here and there on the build, but I'm not thinking you're too concerned with that?

Have you considered Nvidia surround gaming? I just made the switch and I'm hooked.

There's no doubt it's a rocking system. I agree.

But it's kind of like buying a Ferrari to drive around in the grocery parking lot. Looks cool, Draws attention. But you never use that power :p .
February 28, 2013 3:16:43 PM

Some people spend money on cars. Some spend money on their PCs.

For the most part, you're never going to take your Ferrari to it's limits, but you can when you want to or when necessary.

You keep a Civic around for going to the grocery store.
February 28, 2013 3:33:08 PM

ubercake said:
Some people spend money on cars. Some spend money on their PCs.

For the most part, you're never going to take your Ferrari to it's limits, but you can when you want to or when necessary.

You keep a Civic around for going to the grocery store.

lol fair enough. Depends on that person I suppose. I personally if I ever owned a Ferrari it would be my everyday car and i'd make sure my work had at least an hour commute so i could push it to the limits everyday ;) . Prolly a good thing im not rich.... wouldn't live to long.
February 28, 2013 3:43:51 PM

Man, if any of us owned a Ferrari, I hope we'd have money to also own the Civic. If not, then I'd say the Ferrari is a bad choice.
February 28, 2013 4:17:38 PM

For win7pro i was going to join it to my domain but doesnt have to be just makes sharing folders and security bit easier. might try home just because there should be a lot less junk installed as standard and loaded into the GAC/Registry etc etc.

I didnt spot it was a quad channel yea in that case id go 4x2 or 4x4gb totally. Cheers im taking notes here!

I fool around with video editing and 3d modelling from time to time when Im bored so the beefy spec will help with that. But yeah its probably overkill on the whole. Depending on how money goes the next two months I may drop the spec down a lil, maybe just the cpu, psu wise. I kinda like that mobo but we'll see closer to purchase time :D 

I havent really gone into the audio no is nvidias kit that good? :)  Always enjoyed the advantage of good surround in online multiplayer
February 28, 2013 4:24:02 PM

superb121 said:
For win7pro i was going to join it to my domain but doesnt have to be just makes sharing folders and security bit easier. might try home just because there should be a lot less junk installed as standard and loaded into the GAC/Registry etc etc.

I didnt spot it was a quad channel yea in that case id go 4x2 or 4x4gb totally. Cheers im taking notes here!

I fool around with video editing and 3d modelling from time to time when Im bored so the beefy spec will help with that. But yeah its probably overkill on the whole. Depending on how money goes the next two months I may drop the spec down a lil, maybe just the cpu, psu wise. I kinda like that mobo but we'll see closer to purchase time :D 

I havent really gone into the audio no is nvidias kit that good? :)  Always enjoyed the advantage of good surround in online multiplayer

Now this justify s the system much more then just gaming. Thank you for putting my cheap skate heart to rest :D .
February 28, 2013 4:58:30 PM

superb121 said:

Surround is what Nvidia refers to as their multi-monitor technology. Not only is gaming with surround sound great, but with 3 monitors in Nvidia 2D or 3D Surround, it's pretty incredible.
February 28, 2013 5:09:16 PM

Lol! Told you I've been outta the game a while. I'll google it shortly and have a looksie three monitors IS better than one after all!
February 28, 2013 5:18:16 PM

superb121 said:
Lol! Told you I've been outta the game a while. I'll google it shortly and have a looksie three monitors IS better than one after all!

People have a lot of videos on youtube demonstrating this tech. Pretty cool stuff. I am now a believer.
March 1, 2013 10:11:36 AM

Wow! My first thought is I want that!

My second thought is that kind of furniture is a definite female repellent. lol
March 1, 2013 12:42:52 PM

superb121 said:
I fool around with video editing and 3d modelling from time to time when Im bored so the beefy spec will help with that.

This makes the i7-3770K much more justified. It won't help much (or at all, in many cases) in games, but anything that is processor heavy will see great benefit. $100 extra for 20-30% more performance is easily worth it, it's just 99% of games that don't benefit from it makes it a bad deal (for gaming).

Side note: I recently upgraded my GPU from a HD 5870 to a GTX 680, while keeping the i5-2500K @4.4GHz. I've noticed my CPU usage skyrocket to 100% in BF3, Crysis 2, and GW2. This could possibly mean that a i7-3770K will see more benefit in these games?
March 1, 2013 12:53:54 PM

Fokissed said:
This makes the i7-3770K much more justified. It won't help much (or at all, in many cases) in games, but anything that is processor heavy will see great benefit. $100 extra for 20-30% more performance is easily worth it, it's just 99% of games that don't benefit from it makes it a bad deal (for gaming).

Side note: I recently upgraded my GPU from a HD 5870 to a GTX 680, while keeping the i5-2500K @4.4GHz. I've noticed my CPU usage skyrocket to 100% in BF3, Crysis 2, and GW2. This could possibly mean that a i7-3770K will see more benefit in these games?

Im hearing bf3 on "some" maps, mainly larger multiplayer maps is VERY cpu and memory intensive. Now weither or not this is poor programming on the developers part, using the cpu to do things the gpu should really be doing or not I dunno. But friends of mine with around the same say i5 with a decent gfx card are having issues so it was another reason for me to think about going more beefy than seems to be recommended. And if BC3 is hungry. Whats the next game out going to be like ....Ya know?

@ubercake - Yea seriously chicks are hard nuff to pull these days without adding to it with a contraption in the living room like that :p  Point conceeded for sure :L Although the whole three monitors thing is gonna turn em off too no doubt. I think I'll put my whole rig up in the attic conversion.... away for the ladies :p  lol
March 1, 2013 1:10:35 PM

Ha! Or you could have a background consisting of NYSE charts. Just leave that up when they come around. They'll think your some kind of successful daytrader. Chicks dig the bucks.
March 1, 2013 1:13:27 PM

ubercake said:
Ha! Or you could have a background consisting of NYSE charts. Just leave that up when they come around. They'll think your some kind of successful daytrader. Chicks dig the bucks.

I tried the whole I'm a stock market guru line once.... she said "wasnt that american psycho film about a stockbroker?"

....i went home alone that evening :/ 
March 1, 2013 1:20:33 PM

superb121 said:
I tried the whole I'm a stock market guru line once.... she said "wasnt that american psycho film about a stockbroker?"

....i went home alone that evening :/ 

Ouch. Sorry to hear it.

I guess there's no good excuse for the three-screens when it comes to the ladies then. :( 
March 1, 2013 2:10:06 PM

ubercake said:
Ouch. Sorry to hear it.

I guess there's no good excuse for the three-screens when it comes to the ladies then. :( 

unless its got something they like displayed. justin beiber or some rubbish :D 
March 1, 2013 4:02:01 PM

superb121 said:
unless its got something they like displayed. justin beiber or some rubbish :D 

What age girls are you after? ;)  hahaha
!