Nokia 2285: make "Long and Loud" msg alert tone not assend..

Last response: in Brands
June 25, 2005 8:45:36 PM

Hello,

I am very excited and proud of my father who is getting up there in years,
as he has somehow managed to figure out how to use the text messaging
feature on the Nokia 2285 I gave him. I wouldn't have expected this out of
him. He is not the typical button pusher by far and usually has little
patience for such things. I was worried he would have the same problems
simply making phone calls as my mother does. (She often claims that her
phone "doesn't work" when it plays a message saying that the number can't be
completed as dialed. It turns out she just pulls the phone out of her purse
and starts dialing without looking at the screen to see that there are a
bunch of nonsense digits already dialed from the side of her purse pressing
up against the keypad. I have shown her how clear the screen numerous times
and she simply refuses to actually try pressing that button!)

Anyway, my dad has asked me a question about this cell phone that I can't
figure out the answer to. He is hard of hearing and often prefers to leave
the phone sitting in the seat of his Yurf Dog while he's putzing around out
in the woods. He fooled around with the profile to customize the ring tone
and message alert tones for the loudest ones he could fine, and set them for
the maximum volume. He set the message alert tone to "that morse code one
that spells out Connect People or something like that". He's talking about
the "Long and Loud" message alert tone. He has the volume set for level 5.
When he goes into the menu to select a new message alert tone, he can hear
the preview of the tone play at a very loud volume, which is exactly what he
wants. However, when an actual text message is received it starts out this
tone so softly that he can't hear it at all, and it gradually gets
progressively louder and louder until he almost notices it.

He has asked me how to turn this off so that it plays the "Long and Loud"
tone at the "loud" volume for as "long" as the tone is from its beginning
(just as it does when the preview is played while selecting the tone in the
menu.) I fussed around with it and I can't see where there is any sort of
assending option selected to begin with, so I don't know why it is starting
out softly and progressively getting louder. Does anybody know if there is a
way to fix this so my dad can actually hear it when he receives a text
message, intead of only hearing it when he previews the tone to select it?

Also, can I send new tones to his phone for text message alerts? I have sent
ring tones to nokia phones in the past but I never tried to use one as a
message alert tone instead of a ring tone.

Thanks,
Jeff
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 1:58:41 AM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:45:36 -0400, "Jeff P"
<jeffpNO@SPAMruralramp.net> wrote:

>He has asked me how to turn this off so that it plays the "Long and Loud"
>tone at the "loud" volume for as "long" as the tone is from its beginning
>(just as it does when the preview is played while selecting the tone in the
>menu.) I fussed around with it and I can't see where there is any sort of
>assending option selected to begin with, so I don't know why it is starting
>out softly and progressively getting louder. Does anybody know if there is a
>way to fix this so my dad can actually hear it when he receives a text
>message, intead of only hearing it when he previews the tone to select it?

Is this link of any help to you?

http://nds2.nokia.com/files/support/nam/phones/guides/2...

and scroll down to chapter 10 "Personalization"

Set ringing options
You can choose the way your phone rings to notify you of incoming
calls. This setting does not affect text message alert tones.

1. From a profile Customize menu, scroll to Ringing options, and
press Select.
--

Regards

John Riggs
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 1:58:42 AM

"John Riggs" <jriggs@despammed.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:45:36 -0400, "Jeff P"
> <jeffpNO@SPAMruralramp.net> wrote:
>

>>He has asked me how to turn this off so that it plays the "Long and Loud"
>>tone at the "loud" volume for as "long" as the tone is from its beginning
>>(just as it does when the preview is played while selecting the tone in
>>the
>>menu.) I fussed around with it and I can't see where there is any sort of
>>assending option selected to begin with, so I don't know why it is
>>starting
>>out softly and progressively getting louder. Does anybody know if there is
>>way to fix this so my dad can actually hear it when he receives a text
>>message, intead of only hearing it when he previews the tone to select it?
>>

> Is this link of any help to you?
>
> http://nds2.nokia.com/files/support/nam/phones/guides/2...
>
> and scroll down to chapter 10 "Personalization"
>
> Set ringing options
> You can choose the way your phone rings to notify you of incoming
> calls. This setting does not affect text message alert tones.
>
> 1. From a profile Customize menu, scroll to Ringing options, and
> press Select.

John,

This is the very section of the menus that I have been fooling around with
the whole time. Here is what I have to note from these menus. There these
sub menus to choose from:

Ringing Options
Ringing Tone
Ringing Volume
Vibration Alert
Message Alert Tone
Keypad Tones
Warning Tones
Alert For [all calls, etc.]

Most obvious is the second menu titled "Ringing Tone". This is where my dad
picked his favorite ring tone which just sounds like a phone ringing. Then
you can go into the first menu, "Ringing Options" to change the manner in
which that tone is played. For instance, if you select "Ascending" from
Ringing Options, it will begin playing the ringtone at a very quiet volume
and then gradually increase the volume until you answer the phone or it
eventually gets to its loudest volume available.

"Ascending" is a good option for many as it allows you to answer before it
becomes obnoxiously loud, but still allows it to get loud enough for you to
hear if you are in a noisy enviorment. However, my father takes a bit of
time to register what it is that he is hearing and why. So he needs it to
play loud enough for him to hear it from the beginning. Otherwise he
wouldn't notice that the sound he heard was coming from his phone. He has
his "ringing options" set to simply "ring", with no assending or any other
special features.

As you indicated though, the "ringing options" does not effect the manner in
which text messaging alert tones are played. I know this is the case, but
why on earth is there not a seperate menu titled "alert tone options" to do
the same general idea but applied to message alert tones instead of ring
tones???

You would expect the "long and loud" alert tone to play "loud" as it
suggests. But, I can't find anywhere to change the volume of text message
alert tones or to adjust the manner in which they are played. In fact, his
phone seems to be stuck on the "ascending" type of playback (start soft,
progressively get louder and louder) whenever he selects "loud and long" as
his text message alert tone. I just can't find anything equilvant to
"ringing options" for "alert tone options". I would expect "asending" to
have been selected in such a sub menu, but I can't find such a menu to turn
it off or even find where it was specified that way.

I did just now discover that I can select "ringing tone" as a "message alert
tone", and then get a secondary prompt to choose which ringtone you would
like to substitute as your text message alert tone. When I do this, it does
not play 'ascending', but instead plays at full volume the entire time. So,
why does the "long and loud" message alert tone not play loud except as a
preview?

I guess I'll just try to pick a good ringtone to substitute for the long and
loud alert tone that isn't long nor loud the way it is played. Does anybody
know of any good, LOUD ring tones that sound like a conventional telephone
or umm... Well I don't know what would be conventional for a text message
alert tone. Just something good, loud, and long.

Thanks again,

Jeff
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 12:59:40 PM

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:28:54 -0400, "Jeff P"
<jeffpNO@SPAMruralramp.net> wrote:

>As you indicated though, the "ringing options" does not effect the manner in
>which text messaging alert tones are played. I know this is the case, but
>why on earth is there not a seperate menu titled "alert tone options" to do
>the same general idea but applied to message alert tones instead of ring
>tones???
>
>You would expect the "long and loud" alert tone to play "loud" as it
>suggests. But, I can't find anywhere to change the volume of text message
>alert tones or to adjust the manner in which they are played. In fact, his
>phone seems to be stuck on the "ascending" type of playback (start soft,
>progressively get louder and louder) whenever he selects "loud and long" as
>his text message alert tone. I just can't find anything equilvant to
>"ringing options" for "alert tone options". I would expect "asending" to
>have been selected in such a sub menu, but I can't find such a menu to turn
>it off or even find where it was specified that way.

I'm sorry, but I've never used a Nokia 2285. I've had several other
Nokias but I don't remember being able to change the volume of the SMS
alert tone. I've just been scrolling through the options on my Nokia
6600 and I can't see it there either!

I hope someone else can provide you with the answer.

--

Regards

John Riggs
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 10:26:57 PM

> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:28:54 -0400, "Jeff P"
> <jeffpNO@SPAMruralramp.net> wrote:
>
>>As you indicated though, the "ringing options" does not effect the manner
>>in
>>which text messaging alert tones are played. I know this is the case, but
>>why on earth is there not a seperate menu titled "alert tone options" to
>>do
>>the same general idea but applied to message alert tones instead of ring
>>tones???
>>
>>You would expect the "long and loud" alert tone to play "loud" as it
>>suggests. But, I can't find anywhere to change the volume of text message
>>alert tones or to adjust the manner in which they are played. In fact, his
>>phone seems to be stuck on the "ascending" type of playback (start soft,
>>progressively get louder and louder) whenever he selects "loud and long"
>>as
>>his text message alert tone. I just can't find anything equilvant to
>>"ringing options" for "alert tone options". I would expect "asending" to
>>have been selected in such a sub menu, but I can't find such a menu to
>>turn
>>it off or even find where it was specified that way.
>
> I'm sorry, but I've never used a Nokia 2285. I've had several other
> Nokias but I don't remember being able to change the volume of the SMS
> alert tone. I've just been scrolling through the options on my Nokia
> 6600 and I can't see it there either!
>
> I hope someone else can provide you with the answer.

Well, thanks for your suggestions. I'm guessing it is simply a design flaw.
The other alert tones don't seem to be "ascending", only "long and loud",
which is quite odd to me. Long and Loud is not played in ascending mode as
the sample preview. Given no option to change this, I don't see why it would
be in ascending mode permanently when the others aren't.

I was able to find a work around for my dad by selecting a ringtone to
substitute in place of his alert tone. The substituted ringtones play
normally (not ascending). So, he's able to hear it now even though it wasn't
the tone he picked out. Oh well, I guess as long as he can hear it I won't
worry about it.

-Jeff
!