Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Tom's Testing 4k Resolution

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 10, 2013 6:26:13 PM

Hey Tom's, since we're coming upon 4k resolution sooner than later (about time!), I was thinking if we could start to benchmark at the 4k res? I know Nvidia doesn't have eyefinity like AMD so I'm not sure if you'd be able to pull together the res from multiple montiors, but at least if we could start to benchmark at the resolution to know where we stand when we get that resolution for monitors and use it towards games.
I'm guessing within the next 2 years you'll be able to get a monitor that isn't too overpriced with 4k, so some might still have the 7k series cards, or even 6k/5k series. Let's see if we drill them at that res what would frames be like?

Just a suggestion and more curiosity, but I think it's going to occur soon anyways.

Thanks Tom's if you can do this.

More about : tom testing resolution

January 10, 2013 6:42:49 PM

BigMack70 said:
Here's the suggestion forum, btw. I'd disagree pretty strongly that we're coming up on 4k resolution anytime soon. Unless a miracle happens, definitely not within 2 years (unless you consider thousands of dollars not overpriced).

We're just now to a point where 1080p is the mainstream gaming resolution. 1440/1600p have been struggling for 5+ years to gain traction, let alone a resolution like 4k which is far more demanding.

Thanks for the link, I looked for a suggestion place but I guess I must have passed it over.

I only say that it would be within two years just due to them pushing it at shows now and TVs were the ones last time that pushed 1080p. I'm not saying it to be definitive, but I really want to think of it being available to purchase (even if it's a little less than a grand).

The reason as to 1440/1600p have been failing is because of manufacturing isn't mainstream of that resolution. If TVs get pushed to 4k res, then monitors will follow and it'll be cheaper producing millions instead of thousands of the units.

Was wondering if a mod reads this will they be able to put it in the suggestion forum? Thanks ahead of time.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 10, 2013 6:52:42 PM

Warsaw said:
Hey Tom's, since we're coming upon 4k resolution sooner than later (about time!), I was thinking if we could start to benchmark at the 4k res? I know Nvidia doesn't have eyefinity like AMD so I'm not sure if you'd be able to pull together the res from multiple montiors, but at least if we could start to benchmark at the resolution to know where we stand when we get that resolution for monitors and use it towards games.
I'm guessing within the next 2 years you'll be able to get a monitor that isn't too overpriced with 4k, so some might still have the 7k series cards, or even 6k/5k series. Let's see if we drill them at that res what would frames be like?

Just a suggestion and more curiosity, but I think it's going to occur soon anyways.

Thanks Tom's if you can do this.


Just so you know Nvidia has something called Surround - its the exact same thing as AMD eyefinity, so you don't look foolish next time you post :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
January 10, 2013 6:58:01 PM

Derza10 said:
Just so you know Nvidia has something called Surround - its the exact same thing as AMD eyefinity, so you don't look foolish next time you post :) 

If you really read into what I was inquiring about I was talking 4k "meaning 4 screens instead of 3", so before you accuse someone of looking foolish why don't you think into it. I know Nvidia has surround, what I was questioning if they had the ability to do 4 screens since as far as I know they do not. If they did, great and we could benchmark it.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 10, 2013 7:03:32 PM

Warsaw said:
If you really read into what I was inquiring about I was talking 4k "meaning 4 screens instead of 3", so before you accuse someone of looking foolish why don't you think into it. I know Nvidia has surround, what I was questioning if they had the ability to do 4 screens since as far as I know they do not. If they did, great and we could benchmark it.


If your goal was to get close to the 4k resolution that a single 4k monitor would have... Wouldn't it just as well to do 3 2560x1440 in surround/eyefinity in portrait mode? making it 4320x2560?
Or even just 3 1920x1200 monitors to get 3600x1920... or both that way you could get a good idea where a 4k monitor would perform with them actually being 3,840 x 2,160 res.

Sure it wouldn't be exactly the same as 4 1920x1080p monitors but it would be far easier to test.
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 7:06:42 PM

BigMack70 said:
That's a fair point and I more or less agree, I just don't think manufacturing of 4K panels is going to go mainstream in the TV world any time soon... most of the content designed for the TV hasn't even jumped up to 1080p yet (consoles/TV/most streaming services)

Also, consider that on the PC front it would be an unheard of jump. PC resolutions have always moved up somewhat gradually, and the move from 1080p to 4k is comparable to a jump from 800x600 to 1080p.

It would be 33% more demanding than triple (1080p) screen gaming, and even $1000+ GPU setups struggle with demanding games on 3 screens.

I'd love to see how PCs actually perform on a 4K screen, but I think the idea is far more of a novelty at this point than anything relevant to consumers - even rich enthusiast consumers.

Very true to the point of content, but that is more due to the cable restrictions (or more-so their lack of innovation). I mean we have blu-rays, streaming which can do 1080p, so we have some just not all.

I believe that's why AMD and Nvidia has really invested around Eyefinity and Surround, the extra horsepower you have at your disposal you can at least use in other means than it just being wasted with one 1080p screen.

It would be more demanding, but at the same time I'm already using 3 screens (so almost 4k res), and it's fairly smooth most of the time but depending on the game in that res. If graphics cards jump in perform ~20-40% this next gen, then I'm guessing that the 9k series should get a decently substantial performance, maybe ~70-100%? That should be in about a year and a half. If we close out to the end of the two year span we might squeeze in the 10k series (or whatever name is badged as), and even if that's another 20-40% performance increase we are going to have a pretty hefty performance increase over now. Now that does not include the fact of games becoming more demanding, and this might be the crucial part to play as to the next-gen consoles coming out and they are going to be native DX11 (finally!). In turn, higher-demanding games trickling down to the PC.

At that time, novelty? Possibly. But I do enjoy PC, I have an Eyefinity setup with HD3D and it's very nice, so I might be in a niche market. Call me a PC enthusiast, due to always wanting more and faster, I guess all in the end it's wishful thinking. But heck, I can't wait =).
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 7:07:56 PM

Derza10 said:
If your goal was to get close to the 4k resolution that a single 4k monitor would have... Wouldn't it just as well to do 3 2560x1440 in surround/eyefinity in portrait mode? making it 4320x2560?
Or even just 3 1920x1200 monitors to get 3600x1920... or both that way you could get a good idea where a 4k monitor would perform with them actually being 3,840 x 2,160 res.

That's true, it is around the res. Just figuring if Nvidia also did 4 monitors at 1080p it would give us an exact readout to the same res.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 10, 2013 7:18:11 PM

For me anyway, I don't think i would switch to a 4k res monitor unless i was able to power 3 of them in surround/eyefinity. I don't think i could give up the extra view you get from having 3 monitors in landscape. I play at 6040x1200(bezel correction) res, would be very hard to make that switch.
m
0
l
January 10, 2013 7:37:02 PM

Derza10 said:
For me anyway, I don't think i would switch to a 4k res monitor unless i was able to power 3 of them in surround/eyefinity. I don't think i could give up the extra view you get from having 3 monitors in landscape. I play at 6040x1200(bezel correction) res, would be very hard to make that switch.

Yeah, it would be hard going back. Only thing is you could do Eyefinity with 3 of those babies (if card allows in the future), can you imagine how many pixels at once you'd be pushing? :o 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 10, 2013 7:40:16 PM

To many for any video cards in the next 3-4 years I suspect :)  And i don't know if i could handle 3 32 inch monitors lol you would have to move back from the computer to take it all in. Unless they can get the 4k res into 24-27 inch monitor! now that would be cool, would need to be bezeless too of course :) .
m
0
l
February 7, 2013 1:32:18 AM

Vizio, Sharp, Lg, Sony, Panasonic, Hi sense and westinghouse are all releasing 4k tvs this year. Hi sense is putting out a 50 inch 4k tv for $2000 (as told at CES) and supposedly $2500 for Westinghouse's 50 inch 4k. Obviously the more reputable companies will be more expensive. Most hollywood movies are now being filmed with 4k cine cameras. There is the new h265 codeq for 4k and higher frame rates. Netflix has confirmed that they have been getting ready to upgrade for 4k streaming. Sony confirmed the playstaiton 4 will be 4k ready.(Official announcement feb 20th). The new go pro has a 4k video option although only (15fps) its still a consumer camera with 4k. With all that said It seems as though the facts point towards 4k tv's and monitors coming up pretty fast. Yea expensive but so were 1080p tv's when they dropped, but they were all the rush and everyone wanted one. Id say within the next 2 years its gonna blow up big. Im an HD junkie, I shoot alot of time-lapses (4k) and now starting to shoot on a Red scarlet (4k). Unfortunately I do not own the RED :(  . Im planning on getting a 4k tv most likely towards the end of the year and Im about to build a new pc that will allow me to run a native 4k workflow and games in 4k. Im still researching what type of card setup I should get so I personally would love to see how cards perform running native 4k content and gaming at 4k resolutions :)  .
m
0
l
April 29, 2013 7:29:18 AM

Only 2 months later and bam, we got them. I just ordered a seiki 4k on amazon for 1400 out the door so I need toms to tell me to get a 780 or some help.
m
0
l
!