Sign in with
Your question

Easy IP address question

Last response: in Networking
February 17, 2012 3:23:41 AM

I just wanted to know, If i where to take my Windows laptop or mac to a friends home would my IP address still be the same?
Some info: i don't know if this matters but we have the same Internet service provider and he lives about 10 miles up the road.
I was told that When i do this my Ip address would change on both the Windows laptop and the MAc. Makes since to me. But then i was told it would say the same. So i was just wondering.

More about : easy address question

February 17, 2012 4:49:31 AM

Short answer is
It will change.
Longer short answer is (if you have a router)
The external IP address will change, the internal IP address will probably change

If you want more information just ask and I will be happy to explain more.
February 17, 2012 9:50:57 AM

Thats what i was wondering too, If i hook my computer to the same router at a different house Will the computer IP stay the same. But looks like the answer is that it will change. But you said probably change, in what type of case would the IP stay the same if you moved the computer and router. And would it be more likley to stay the same on a PC or Mac or the same for both? Thank you.
Related resources
February 17, 2012 10:11:07 AM

The MAC address of the computer remains the same does not matter which network you get connected to. But when you move your computer to a different network (wired/wireless), the IP address gets assigned by the ISP in that network. If its in a corporate or business network, your computer may get a class A ip getting translated from NAT. Hence, IP address is liable to change upon changing the network.

'Almond' - World's first and innovative Wi-Fi Router with a touch screen. Check it out: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/news.php?newsid=3438
February 17, 2012 11:06:27 AM

If you explained the reasoning behind asking the question there is a very good chance something could be worked out to help. If you were just curious seems like Learning said what you were looking for, but if you were trying to accomplish something post what you were trying to do.
February 17, 2012 5:06:36 PM

Not trying to do anything, just was a question that come up on a test and was very confused by it. But then started to think about it and was wondering if it was something that would happen randomly or something like that
a b D Laptop
February 17, 2012 5:27:48 PM

Learningnetworking said:
I just wanted to know, If i where to take my Windows laptop or mac to a friends home would my IP address still be the same?
Some info: i don't know if this matters but we have the same Internet service provider and he lives about 10 miles up the road.
I was told that When i do this my Ip address would change on both the Windows laptop and the MAc. Makes since to me. But then i was told it would say the same. So i was just wondering.

This question has a lot of "it depends" in it.

If you hook up to only the modem, you may get the same IP if your DHCP lease was not up. Same ISP will see your same MAC address of your computer, and send your computer the same IP.

If you hook up to a Router, you may again get the same IP if the DHCP of the router happens to have the first free address as the same one you had at your house. So if you had 192.168.1.4 at home, you may get the same thing in a different place if .4 was free. If he had 5 computers on, you'd probably get .7

If you had static IPs on your computers,the IP will stay the same.

It does not matter what type of device it is, could be an internet toy puppy, the IP assignments will act the same way.
February 17, 2012 6:23:02 PM

Learningnetworking said:
Not trying to do anything, just was a question that come up on a test and was very confused by it. But then started to think about it and was wondering if it was something that would happen randomly or something like that

Ok for homes users with a router you need to worry about 2 ip addresses. Your external IP address (or public address) and your internal IP address (or local address)

Your external IP address, will be assigned to your by your ISP, and you have no control over what address you get. This address is also commonly know as the public address because anyone is the world can access this address. (don't worry by default it is locked down so no one can access your stuff. ) This address must be unique to all of the other public ip addresses, because if you had 2 of the same ip address how do you know which one you are trying to go to.

Now the problem people where running in to is, They only have 1 IP address, and only 1 device can uses that IP address at a time. So some people have multiple computer, can only connect 1 to the internet at once. And that kinda sucks, so they came up with this thing called NAT (network address translation). And this is where the home routers come in to play.

So the router plugs into your internet connection, and you ISP will give your external IP address to the router. So now your router has internet access. Now your router's job is to share that connection to other devices, so it will create its own small local network. Any any divice that is on this small network will be able to access the internet through the router. This small network is where your internal IP (or local address get created. Because multiple devices will be connected to the local network, you need a range of addresses. The default IP range on most home routers will look something like this 192.168.1.1-254. The first three numbers will stay the same for all devices and the last number will be different on all devices on your local network because each ip address on your local network needs to unique on your local network. But only on you local network. You computer may have the ip 192.168.1.100 and your neighbors computer at his house may have the same 192.168.1.100 IP address. That is ok because he is on his network and your on your network, So they are not interfering with one another. That is why there is a possibility that you internal address will stay the same.
February 17, 2012 6:25:11 PM

O yeah about mac address (Media Access Control address) Those are hard coded on your network cards, they will never change, no matter what network your on.
!