Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New Gaming PC Build - $4500 Budget (including monitor)

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 28, 2013 5:58:33 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build upgrade my gaming PC which i had for almost 2 years now. Ive never done overclocking before but i will start as soon as i complete my new build. My target resolution is 2560x1440; 60 hz (still trying to choose the best monitor for it), I heard about the yamakasi catleaps but Im scared that there will quality issues or what not. But an overclockable to 120hz A- IPS 27inch 2560x1440 sounds amazing but too much of a hassle i think? :S

(out of curiousity is there any difference between an A- IPS and the IPS models from dell, samsung? Can you really spot the quality change in the images, resolution and stuff?)

These are the three monitors Im currently looking at:

Samsung S27A970 27" PLS Panel
Samsung S27A850D 27" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Samsung Series 8 SyncMaster S27A850T http://www.cnet.com.au/samsung-series-8-syncmaster-s27a...

I might possibly get a 23 inch 120 hz monitor later, but currently I just want the new eye candy from 2560x1440 IPS/PLS panels :) 

P.S: I Really hate the anti-glare coating on the dell u2713; So that is out of the question for me!
[Any recommendations would be much appreciated!]

Theres are my current computer specs:

CPU: QuadCore Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3ghz

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Storage: HGST Deskstar 3.5-Inch 500GB 7200RPM SATA II 16MB Cache Internal Hard Drive [I had an external harddrive too but i might have lost it]

Video Card: MSI N580 GTX Lightning

Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio (Internal High defintion Audio Bus)

Power Supply: Not sure since I havent open the box to check! lol: but i know i need to buy a new one since ill be running 2560x1440 resolution + having SLi Video Card Setup

Optical Drive: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222AB ATA Device

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Monitor: Acer S231 HL

Keyboard: Levatron Mech 5

Mouse: Mamba 2012 Elite Ergonomic Wireless Gaming Mouse

New Parts Im Considering:

CPU: Not sure if i should upgrade to i5-3570k since its not really worth it even though its next gen compared to my i5-2500k. Apparently its better to keep the i5-2500k and choose a great motherboard? & maybe wait it out with my i5-2500k till haswell comes out in 2014. (Suggestions????)

Motherboard: These are the 5 ones ive chose and considering (Really not sure what are the differences!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (not sure why the difference in price!)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (4 x 8gb sounds awesome but pricey :D )

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (two 8gbs and four 4gbs?.. which is better?)

Storage:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (I only looked at this one; im clueless about storage devices)

Video Card: Will Be Doing SLi or maybe even 3-way in the future
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (not sure which GTX 680 is the best but this has apparently good reviews)
http://www.microcenter.com/product/398342/04G-P4-2686-K... (this is my 2nd option because im buying all my computer parts from microcenter and i think the classified is out of stock)

Power Supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (this thing is a beast! but so expensive)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU Cooler::
My first option is to do a custom water loop (going to pay microcenter to do it for me since i dont know squat about it lol)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (2nd option)

GPU Cooler::
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=400-CU-G68... (getting two of these)

Optical Drive: Do I need a new one?

Sound Card: I have surround speakers so not sure i need this too.

Operating System: Perfectly happy with Windows 7 unless windows 8 is superbly awesome (Any recommendations?)

Case: Suggestions? (Note that i will be travelling internationally soon and would be bringing along my PC; so hopefully not a big tower case but top quality one for all my parts to function properly)

Since Im a total newb at all this, I really would appreciate any help!.. But Ill be mostly using the computer for gaming, surfing, and downloading watching movies/tv shows. And Of course I want to MAX OUT Everything on ULTRA on all my games+future games [Like GTA V!!] with fps 60+ on my 2560x1440 resolution with no issues whats so ever. I probably wont need to spend as much as $4500 but I am willing to! I want the BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST Parts for my budget! :D 
February 28, 2013 6:12:18 PM

I wouldn't get an i5-3570k and a new motherboard, the cpu that you have is a good one, no point in getting the other i5, and you don't need another board, the one you have supports SLI and it's a decent one.
The ram you have is also more than enough, so if you want a 1440p monitor just get it, and two 670 gtx for SLI.
If you have a decent psu within 750W(for SLI 670/680), you don't need another psu, if you don't, just get one within 750W, you don't need 1600W.
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 6:35:22 PM

You will never, ever need or use a 1600W PSU to its' full extent. Even triple SLI only uses less than 950W.

I'm not entirely sure why you would completely gut a system that's still pretty current only to buy again when Haswell comes out. :heink: 
m
0
l
Related resources
February 28, 2013 8:39:37 PM

djangoringo said:
I wouldn't get an i5-3570k and a new motherboard, the cpu that you have is a good one, no point in getting the other i5, and you don't need another board, the one you have supports SLI and it's a decent one.
The ram you have is also more than enough, so if you want a 1440p monitor just get it, and two 670 gtx for SLI.
If you have a decent psu within 750W(for SLI 670/680), you don't need another psu, if you don't, just get one within 750W, you don't need 1600W.


Thanks for the reply - the thing is after hours of research, ive read that getting a better motherboard would help overclock CPU a lot more efficiently and better. I just need a setup that would hopefully last me a year or two (even though I might possibly get haswell when it comes out; but probably only when the prices for it relatively comes down)

I guess the PSU is a little too much but wouldnt getting a 850W be on the safer side of things? For the RAM, if 8gb is enough, i guess ill just stick to it. But what is the purpose of getting 16gb; is there any benefit in gaming from it? (current + future)
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 8:45:37 PM

Grab an Asus Ares II (aka. the 7970x2 or 7990). This single slot card will max EVERY game on Ultra at that resolution without a problem. It is by far the best card and beats out both the 690 and the new titan by a large amount of performance. Plus you can overclock that sucker to extremes with its liquid cooled system. You really won't see any better performance anywhere. It will outperform dual 670/680 and dual 7970, it is really your best option for your system.

Quote:
You will never, ever need or use a 1600W PSU to its' full extent. Even triple SLI only uses less than 950W.

I'm not entirely sure why you would completely gut a system that's still pretty current only to buy again when Haswell comes out. :heink: 


As future reference to this a Quad CrossfireX 7970 system WILL use that much power...

Quote:
I guess the PSU is a little too much but wouldnt getting a 850W be on the safer side of things? For the RAM, if 8gb is enough, i guess ill just stick to it. But what is the purpose of getting 16gb; is there any benefit in gaming from it? (current + future)


850w will suffice for just about any dual card build and will be more than perfect for the card suggested above.
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 8:48:43 PM

g-unit1111 said:
You will never, ever need or use a 1600W PSU to its' full extent. Even triple SLI only uses less than 950W.

I'm not entirely sure why you would completely gut a system that's still pretty current only to buy again when Haswell comes out. :heink: 


For some of the games ive been playing (Skyrim, Max payne 3, bf3); fps is avg around like 45+ when all the settings are set to ultra (Max AA + MSAA). The gameplay with these games are just not as smooth as i want them to be. I know its a pretty dumb idea to upgrade now for such superficial reasons but i guess im just a perfectionist in that sense lol, plus haswell is still a year away. With new games like (GTA 5, watch dogs) + a bunch of next gen titles only months away, i want the best PC right now to be able handle those games.

m
0
l
February 28, 2013 8:48:46 PM

t2r4ne said:
Thanks for the reply - the thing is after hours of research, ive read that getting a better motherboard would help overclock CPU a lot more efficiently and better. I just need a setup that would hopefully last me a year or two (even though I might possibly get haswell when it comes out; but probably only when the prices for it relatively comes down)

I guess the PSU is a little too much but wouldnt getting a 850W be on the safer side of things? For the RAM, if 8gb is enough, i guess ill just stick to it. But what is the purpose of getting 16gb; is there any benefit in gaming from it? (current + future)



For now games don't use more than 8GB, so you don't need another one/two sticks of ram.
A quality psu within 750W will do for two 670/680 gtx, some hdds, ssds, etc.
Like g-unit1111 said, if you want to upgrade wait for haswell cpus, even then, the performance difference from the i5-2500k and the i5 haswell k cpu might not be worth it, you have a strong cpu that it will not bottleneck two 670/680 gtx.
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 8:50:13 PM

Also look into getting a 256gb ssd, one of those would boost your system performance to the maximum level.

Another thing to note is that the 2500k is still a fantastic CPU, wait tell haswell to upgrade the mono/cpu. Get a non reference cooler (3rd party) and you will get the maximum performance you are looking for.
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 9:00:46 PM

djangoringo said:
For now games don't use more than 8GB, so you don't need another one/two sticks of ram.
A quality psu within 750W will do for two 670/680 gtx, some hdds, ssds, etc.
Like g-unit1111 said, if you want to upgrade wait for haswell cpus, even then, the performance difference from the i5-2500k and the i5 haswell k cpu might not be worth it, you have a strong cpu that it will not bottleneck two 670/680 gtx.

Here's why you get an Ares II: (They start at the first test benchmark)
BitTech
LegitReviews
TechPowerUp
I could go on and on and on but this is quite simply the best card, at your resolution it will be ANY setup.
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 9:07:31 PM

I didn't mention any comparison with that card, but for 1440p, two 670/680 gtx will be more than enough for less than 1000$, that card at 1500$ has a terrible value.
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 9:14:03 PM

For $4500 I could build at least 3 pc's that would rock your games...
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 9:25:15 PM

burritobob said:
Here's why you get an Ares II: (They start at the first test benchmark)
BitTech
LegitReviews
TechPowerUp
I could go on and on and on but this is quite simply the best card, at your resolution it will be ANY setup.


Im getting mixed reviews about this card. Doesnt this card draw more power? plus i heard that the gtx 680 has a more efficient architecture; thats why i chose it. But i could be wrong :S

m
0
l
February 28, 2013 9:29:24 PM

t2r4ne said:
Im getting mixed reviews about this card. Doesnt this card draw more power? plus i heard that the gtx 680 has a more efficient architecture; thats why i chose it. But i could be wrong :S

The Ares II is essentially two 7970s on a single PCB (ie. a non-reference 7990). Currently, a 7970 has very similar performance to a 680, and the Ares II allows for over clocking (since it has it's own closed water cooling loop). Since the card is made up of two 7970s, naturally it would draw more power than a 680, but efficiency is not really something to worry about (imo). However, the Ares II is pretty damn expensive, but it offers excellent performance.
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 9:29:55 PM

So right now, all i have to worry about choosing the right GPU; since ill be sticking the i5-2500k from the opinions so far. Im guessing that the motherboard i have is also sufficient enough to not have any bottlenecking issues?

So it sums so far to:

Get some hdds, sdds (recommendations?)

Get new PSU (850W)

Choose a GPU

...so the rest of my system currently right now is fine?
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 9:32:17 PM

t2r4ne said:
Im getting mixed reviews about this card. Doesnt this card draw more power? plus i heard that the gtx 680 has a more efficient architecture; thats why i chose it. But i could be wrong :S


Just get two 670 gtx non reference for 1440p is more than enough, and for less or about 800$ the two of them.
The ares II is too much expensive and good luck finding one, it's out of stock in most places, since it was made only 1000 units.
A quality 750W psu will do for two 670/680 gtx.

Two of those : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
^ it has the 680 gtx pcb and a good cooling system, it was recommend by toms hardware.

This psu will do just fine : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
You can get a 256GB ssd if you like.
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 9:34:52 PM

I'm not exactly sure why you've chosen the i5 2500k over the i5 3570k, they're both great gaming processors but Sandy Bridge is pretty much EOL and with your budget, the i5 3570k is well within reach.
Seagate Barracuda/Western Digital Caviar Black 7200RPM drives are great, for SSDs I would recommend Samsung 830/840/840Pro or OCZ Vertex 4/Vector series.
The Corsair AX850 is a high quality PSU as well, would definitely recommend that.
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 9:37:22 PM

That's his current pc, not the parts that he will buy.
m
0
l

Best solution

February 28, 2013 9:50:15 PM

Check out this build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler ($79.71 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7 EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($377.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($88.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($188.06 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1005.91 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1005.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($171.10 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Samsung S27A850D 27.0" Monitor ($679.21 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $4311.69
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-28 18:35 EST-0500)

The 3770K & Gigabyte motherboard are just spacers for the New Haswells coming out by June 2nd.

With your budget you must get the SLI Titans. They are smoother than anything else out there, including the Ares II. Two Titans will give you a far better gaming experience than the Ares. And for only $500 more. The Titans are far quieter, draw far less power, and don't microstutter. Read up on Nvidia Titan SLI reviews and you will see how great they are.

With the Haswell coming out in three months, you may want to just stick with your current motherboard & processor until it comes out. The Haswell has many nice features that will show up over time with better and better multi-threaded applications. They operate with less power, yet have a greater power rating. Look for them to be quite overclockable.
Share
February 28, 2013 10:53:13 PM

babernet_1 said:
Check out this build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler ($79.71 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7 EATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($377.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($88.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($188.06 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1005.91 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1005.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($171.10 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Samsung S27A850D 27.0" Monitor ($679.21 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $4311.69
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-28 18:35 EST-0500)

The 3770K & Gigabyte motherboard are just spacers for the New Haswells coming out by June 2nd.

With your budget you must get the SLI Titans. They are smoother than anything else out there, including the Ares II. Two Titans will give you a far better gaming experience than the Ares. And for only $500 more. The Titans are far quieter, draw far less power, and don't microstutter. Read up on Nvidia Titan SLI reviews and you will see how great they are.

With the Haswell coming out in three months, you may want to just stick with your current motherboard & processor until it comes out. The Haswell has many nice features that will show up over time with better and better multi-threaded applications. They operate with less power, yet have a greater power rating. Look for them to be quite overclockable.


LOL ok, now im confused!. these looks like very Good specs; very tempted to just get all this. But this would literally mean throwing out most my current build (which i wouldnt really mind)..

Although i would love some more suggestions over this before rushing into anything. If i were to keep my CPU and motherboard; is it enough to run all this?? (the titan is an amazing card; and i read the SLi of it would outperform any card right now until the release of the 700 series)
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 10:53:46 PM

Best answer selected by t2r4ne.
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 11:15:02 PM

t2r4ne said:
Best answer selected by t2r4ne.
nThanks, here's my reasoning for each component:nnAs I said, CPU & Motherboard are spacers for the Haswell. You should be able to get them at this pricennNoctua is the best for CPU heat sinks. The C14 blows down so it will cool your motherboard regulators and RAM plus will keep your Haswell cool and happy!nnMemory Intel does an excellent job with its memory handling and internal cache. You really don't need high speed ram. I upped it to 16G because you want some future proofing. As of now only the most demanding stuff wants a bit more than 8G. Might as well get it now. Also note that I chose just two RAM cards and they have no heat spreaders. That's so your massive Noctua heat sink will fit no problem.nnStorage. Just get a good 240-256G SSD and put most everything on it. Use the HDD for music, videos, movies.nnTwo Titans will put you in line to rule the world, more or less. As you can see from many reviews, they SLI nicely. And that says a lot, what, with spanking new drivers. Nvidia really does it right. (Hear that AMD???)nnnNice. large casennThe power supply is a top quality one. Lots of power, modular so you only use cables you need, and Platinum rated so it will run cooler and quieter. SeaSonc is a top tier quality supply with long life. It will protect your considerable investment.nnBlue ray writer, why not? You can go with a cheaper optical drive if you don't want to drive blu rays.nnWindows 8??? Just download any of many apps to get rid of the ridiculous screen and give you your beloved start button. It is faster, tighter, and more secure than Seven.nnMonitor. Up to you, but this one seems to have a real quality, sharp screen, even though it is matt. It is LED for coolness and low power.
m
0
l
March 1, 2013 12:17:38 AM

Quote:


With your budget you must get the SLI Titans. They are smoother than anything else out there, including the Ares II. Two Titans will give you a far better gaming experience than the Ares. And for only $500 more. The Titans are far quieter, draw far less power, and don't microstutter. Read up on Nvidia Titan SLI reviews and you will see how great they are.

Really - Who needs that much graphics power? A single one would be powerful and expensive.
m
0
l
March 1, 2013 12:26:21 AM

babernet_1 said:
Thanks, here's my reasoning for each component:

As I said, CPU & Motherboard are spacers for the Haswell. You should be able to get them at this price

Noctua is the best for CPU heat sinks. The C14 blows down so it will cool your motherboard regulators and RAM plus will keep your Haswell cool and happy!

Memory Intel does an excellent job with its memory handling and internal cache. You really don't need high speed ram. I upped it to 16G because you want some future proofing. As of now only the most demanding stuff wants a bit more than 8G. Might as well get it now. Also note that I chose just two RAM cards and they have no heat spreaders. That's so your massive Noctua heat sink will fit no problem.

Storage. Just get a good 240-256G SSD and put most everything on it. Use the HDD for music, videos, movies.

Two Titans will put you in line to rule the world, more or less. As you can see from many reviews, they SLI nicely. And that says a lot, what, with spanking new drivers. Nvidia really does it right. (Hear that AMD???)


Nice. large case

The power supply is a top quality one. Lots of power, modular so you only use cables you need, and Platinum rated so it will run cooler and quieter. SeaSonc is a top tier quality supply with long life. It will protect your considerable investment.

Blue ray writer, why not? You can go with a cheaper optical drive if you don't want to drive blu rays.

Windows 8??? Just download any of many apps to get rid of the ridiculous screen and give you your beloved start button. It is faster, tighter, and more secure than Seven.

Monitor. Up to you, but this one seems to have a real quality, sharp screen, even though it is matt. It is LED for coolness and low power.


Just a few things though - I did a little research about the titans and found out what if when directx12 launches with new features that my 2 overpriced Titans can't use. It was like when dx11 hit and all dx10 GPU's were locked out of features like tesselation even though they were powerful. It would be a shame to waste $2000 worth of GPU when this happened :S

Also isnt the motherboard of an overkill? Ive searched for some mobos.. what do you think of these??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also for the case: keep in mind that i will be travelling internationally; and the HAF 932 is a huge case!. what do you think about the Corsair C70?
m
0
l
March 1, 2013 12:27:32 AM

smeezekitty said:
Quote:


With your budget you must get the SLI Titans. They are smoother than anything else out there, including the Ares II. Two Titans will give you a far better gaming experience than the Ares. And for only $500 more. The Titans are far quieter, draw far less power, and don't microstutter. Read up on Nvidia Titan SLI reviews and you will see how great they are.

Really - Who needs that much graphics power? A single one would be powerful and expensive.


Yeah, unless you want to power up 3 wall size monitors...lol

Overkill much?
m
0
l
March 1, 2013 2:40:53 AM

t2r4ne said:
Just a few things though - I did a little research about the titans and found out what if when directx12 launches with new features that my 2 overpriced Titans can't use. It was like when dx11 hit and all dx10 GPU's were locked out of features like tesselation even though they were powerful. It would be a shame to waste $2000 worth of GPU when this happened :S

Also isnt the motherboard of an overkill? Ive searched for some mobos.. what do you think of these??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also for the case: keep in mind that i will be travelling internationally; and the HAF 932 is a huge case!. what do you think about the Corsair C70?


If you re-read my post, I meant the processor and motherboard only as price spacers. Wait until Haswell comes out, then update your processor and motherboard.

About DX12. Well, do you want to wait until late 2013/early 2014? Why not just wait another couple years for DX13? I guess the other case would be fine.
m
0
l
March 1, 2013 2:46:27 AM

rmiiirusty said:
Yeah, unless you want to power up 3 wall size monitors...lol

Overkill much?

Not overkill.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-p...

As you can see, with a monitor similar to his, the minimum FPS is only 33 with a single Titan. The new games Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 are really beautiful, but tough on GPU's. Two would give him a nice upper 50's to 60 FPS.
m
0
l
March 1, 2013 8:03:18 AM

babernet_1 said:
Not overkill.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-p...

As you can see, with a monitor similar to his, the minimum FPS is only 33 with a single Titan. The new games Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 are really beautiful, but tough on GPU's. Two would give him a nice upper 50's to 60 FPS.


Now thats worth $2000...
m
0
l
March 1, 2013 10:12:09 AM

babernet_1 said:
If you re-read my post, I meant the processor and motherboard only as price spacers. Wait until Haswell comes out, then update your processor and motherboard.

About DX12. Well, do you want to wait until late 2013/early 2014? Why not just wait another couple years for DX13? I guess the other case would be fine.


Not sure what the meaning of 'price spacer' means lol (sorry my english is kinda bad). Does that mean i keep my CPU and mother board and build the rest of the specs like you suggested... and then update my CPU/mobo when haswell comes out?..

So my new specs comes out to be:
CPU: i5-2500k
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
Memory: G.Skill Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($88.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($188.06 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1005.91 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1005.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($171.10 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
(or did u mean to buy the i3770k and the new mobo now, so that my current CPU wouldnt bottleneck the titans? even though im updating again in a few months when haswell comes out)

btw for the monitor Samsung 850d would be the best 2560x1440 choice right? I mean there are other cheapter alternatives like Asus PB278Q but i heard they had issues with backlight bleeding.
m
0
l
March 1, 2013 3:05:45 PM

t2r4ne said:
Not sure what the meaning of 'price spacer' means lol (sorry my english is kinda bad). Does that mean i keep my CPU and mother board and build the rest of the specs like you suggested... and then update my CPU/mobo when haswell comes out?..

So my new specs comes out to be:
CPU: i5-2500k
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
Memory: G.Skill Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($88.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($188.06 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1005.91 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1005.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($171.10 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
(or did u mean to buy the i3770k and the new mobo now, so that my current CPU wouldnt bottleneck the titans? even though im updating again in a few months when haswell comes out)

btw for the monitor Samsung 850d would be the best 2560x1440 choice right? I mean there are other cheapter alternatives like Asus PB278Q but i heard they had issues with backlight bleeding.


Yes, I mean do not buy a motherboard or processor until Haswell comes out. Just use your present processor/motherboard. Be sure to get a Z87 based motherboard then. As for displays, I recommend simply get an LED backlit one and preferrably 5 or 6ms response time for better gaming. It is up to you for the specific one. Yes, read reviews, decide for yourself. Of course, a 2560 X 1440 display will give you a fantastic gaming experience. And with the two Titans, you will really be rocking on them to the max!

I am just a stranger on the web. With this amount of money, you need to thoroughly examine each of your prospective purchases and make sure it makes sense to you. It seems like you are doing this, good job.
m
0
l
March 1, 2013 9:58:10 PM

babernet_1 said:
Yes, I mean do not buy a motherboard or processor until Haswell comes out. Just use your present processor/motherboard. Be sure to get a Z87 based motherboard then. As for displays, I recommend simply get an LED backlit one and preferrably 5 or 6ms response time for better gaming. It is up to you for the specific one. Yes, read reviews, decide for yourself. Of course, a 2560 X 1440 display will give you a fantastic gaming experience. And with the two Titans, you will really be rocking on them to the max!

I am just a stranger on the web. With this amount of money, you need to thoroughly examine each of your prospective purchases and make sure it makes sense to you. It seems like you are doing this, good job.


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($213.79 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler ($79.71 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($198.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($88.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($157.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($186.90 @ Amazon)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($226.82 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($84.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1457.65
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-01 18:52 EST-0500)

So basically this is final decision on these parts; ive upped the mobo for now so that there wont be any bottlenecking problems for my GPU selections.

Im sticking with the i5-2500k. The monitor im deciding now between the samsung 850d & the yamakasi catleap 2B. (i think ill get a catleap off ebay or sth since a lot of people are recommending me those monitors; i think ill be happy with it).

For the GPUs: Im still very effy on dropping $2000 just on the GPUs so i might go with GTX 680 4Gb classified since i cant find the Ares II anywhere. But i dunno i might just end up getting the two Titans heehee :kaola: 

But please tell me you guys think! :) 

m
0
l
March 1, 2013 11:21:27 PM

4GB video ram is largely a waste of money. Using over 2GB would be quite rare.
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 12:27:57 AM

smeezekitty said:
4GB video ram is largely a waste of money. Using over 2GB would be quite rare.


Not with larger monitors. They can need over 2G even with a 2560X1600. For the future, you need more.
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 12:33:53 AM

t2r4ne said:


So basically this is final decision on these parts; ive upped the mobo for now so that there wont be any bottlenecking problems for my GPU selections.

Im sticking with the i5-2500k. The monitor im deciding now between the samsung 850d & the yamakasi catleap 2B. (i think ill get a catleap off ebay or sth since a lot of people are recommending me those monitors; i think ill be happy with it).

For the GPUs: Im still very effy on dropping $2000 just on the GPUs so i might go with GTX 680 4Gb classified since i cant find the Ares II anywhere. But i dunno i might just end up getting the two Titans heehee :kaola: 

But please tell me you guys think! :) 

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_titan_...

Check out this review, it will make you a believer!

I also am considering one of those Korean Monitors, cheap for sure.
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 12:39:27 AM

I guess more video memory could be useful at those extreme resolutions.
m
0
l
April 18, 2013 6:52:44 AM

t2r4ne said:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to build upgrade my gaming PC which i had for almost 2 years now. Ive never done overclocking before but i will start as soon as i complete my new build. My target resolution is 2560x1440; 60 hz (still trying to choose the best monitor for it), I heard about the yamakasi catleaps but Im scared that there will quality issues or what not. But an overclockable to 120hz A- IPS 27inch 2560x1440 sounds amazing but too much of a hassle i think? :S

(out of curiousity is there any difference between an A- IPS and the IPS models from dell, samsung? Can you really spot the quality change in the images, resolution and stuff?)

These are the three monitors Im currently looking at:

Samsung S27A970 27" PLS Panel
Samsung S27A850D 27" http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Samsung Series 8 SyncMaster S27A850T http://www.cnet.com.au/samsung-series-8-syncmaster-s27a...

I might possibly get a 23 inch 120 hz monitor later, but currently I just want the new eye candy from 2560x1440 IPS/PLS panels :) 

P.S: I Really hate the anti-glare coating on the dell u2713; So that is out of the question for me!
[Any recommendations would be much appreciated!]

Theres are my current computer specs:

CPU: QuadCore Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3ghz

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Storage: HGST Deskstar 3.5-Inch 500GB 7200RPM SATA II 16MB Cache Internal Hard Drive [I had an external harddrive too but i might have lost it]

Video Card: MSI N580 GTX Lightning

Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio (Internal High defintion Audio Bus)

Power Supply: Not sure since I havent open the box to check! lol: but i know i need to buy a new one since ill be running 2560x1440 resolution + having SLi Video Card Setup

Optical Drive: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222AB ATA Device

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Monitor: Acer S231 HL

Keyboard: Levatron Mech 5

Mouse: Mamba 2012 Elite Ergonomic Wireless Gaming Mouse

New Parts Im Considering:

CPU: Not sure if i should upgrade to i5-3570k since its not really worth it even though its next gen compared to my i5-2500k. Apparently its better to keep the i5-2500k and choose a great motherboard? & maybe wait it out with my i5-2500k till haswell comes out in 2014. (Suggestions????)

Motherboard: These are the 5 ones ive chose and considering (Really not sure what are the differences!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (not sure why the difference in price!)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (4 x 8gb sounds awesome but pricey :D )

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (two 8gbs and four 4gbs?.. which is better?)

Storage:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (I only looked at this one; im clueless about storage devices)

Video Card: Will Be Doing SLi or maybe even 3-way in the future
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (not sure which GTX 680 is the best but this has apparently good reviews)
http://www.microcenter.com/product/398342/04G-P4-2686-K... (this is my 2nd option because im buying all my computer parts from microcenter and i think the classified is out of stock)

Power Supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (this thing is a beast! but so expensive)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU Cooler::
My first option is to do a custom water loop (going to pay microcenter to do it for me since i dont know squat about it lol)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (2nd option)

GPU Cooler::
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=400-CU-G68... (getting two of these)

Optical Drive: Do I need a new one?

Sound Card: I have surround speakers so not sure i need this too.

Operating System: Perfectly happy with Windows 7 unless windows 8 is superbly awesome (Any recommendations?)

Case: Suggestions? (Note that i will be travelling internationally soon and would be bringing along my PC; so hopefully not a big tower case but top quality one for all my parts to function properly)

Since Im a total newb at all this, I really would appreciate any help!.. But Ill be mostly using the computer for gaming, surfing, and downloading watching movies/tv shows. And Of course I want to MAX OUT Everything on ULTRA on all my games+future games [Like GTA V!!] with fps 60+ on my 2560x1440 resolution with no issues whats so ever. I probably wont need to spend as much as $4500 but I am willing to! I want the BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST Parts for my budget! :D 



This is my suggestion

Intel i7 3930k 3.2 ghz upto 3.8 ghz sandy bridge processor
Kingston HyperX Predetor 2666 Mhz 8 gb DDR3 ram
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
ATI Radeon HD 7990 DMC Edition (Devil may cry) or quad crossfire hd 7970
Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD
Corsair AX1200i 1200w PSU 80+
Cooler master HAF X(Use top for watercooling radiator)
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler
Kingston Cooling Fan for HyperX PC Memory KHX-FAN RAM Cooler
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

m
0
l
!