New System Build GPU issue?

NYCMedic

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Hello Everyone.

Before posting here, I searched for an answer both here and on Google. I got all sorts of answers like update or use older drivers etc. I read some answers that dont pertain to me and then an answer or two Im unsure how to do what they suggested. So let me start off with my system specs:

Brand new build

Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
Intel i5-3750K
Asus P8Z77-V LK
Corsair H100i Cooler
16GB Corsair Vegeagence 1600 DDR3 RAM (4 sticks)
GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 Windforce OC 2048MB GDDR5 256-bit PCI
Samsung 840 Pro-Series 128GB SSD
Corsair HX750 PSU
Windows Home Premium OEM

Initially I did a out of case set-up before installing. CPU, Mobo, graphic card. Started it and I was able to see the messaging on the screen. So I disconnected and installed everything. Powered up and installed windows! Hurray!!!

I initially only installed the LAN drivers from my mobo disk so I can then install all the latest drivers for everything from online as most and NewEgg's videos suggest. That worked well. Installed the latest driver from Gigabyte for the graphic card... and the screen resolution reset automatically and now looked correct, Prior everything was at a default setting big and clunky. So I was happy once i saw it reset.

While navigating in explorer to the Corsair site I notice the mouse was sluggish. It would freeze for a second or two. This would happen a couple of times and then I get a screen blackout for 2-3 seconds. After the screen comes back on I got the following error message at the bottom of my screen:

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 310.90 has stopped working and has successfully recovered.

I figured maybe it was because I just installed the driver. So I continued on with getting to the corsair site. I got to the site and it started again, mouse acting up and this time the screen went black and did not return. I had to reset the computer. I watched part 3 of Neweggs How to Build A PC again... especially the installing windows and drivers etc and re-did every step. Reformatting my SSD, re-installing Windows and the drivers. And I still get the issue.

I read here and on other forums that it could be an old/new driver issue so I tried just using the driver that came with the card... same issue.

I even tried it with both new and old drivers after installing all the Windows updates and still have the issue.

So I tried a lot of the ways I read resolutions for... I checked the Geforce forums as well... Restore to old driver... update to new driver... remove and re-install driver... turn off system for 1/2 hour etc. And still I have the issue.

In the divice manager, everything seems to be ok. I checked the graphic card and it says working normally. I dont know of another way to check it. So Im really at a loss here.

I was debating buying a pre-made system as I normally would but heard so many horror stories with the Gaming system providers online... I decided to build my own. and Im 99% there. I just cant figure out this issue.

I cant do anything without it freezing up and blacking out.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

I did not OC anything... dont know how to be honest. Everything is from factory new packaging. My temps are not hot... I see in corsair link that my CPU is about 22c Mobo & Disks are 20 - 23c and my graphic card is only 26c idle. So the system seems to be running pretty cool.

I did a ram test with Memtest86+ ran it over night for 8+ hours and It passed with 0 errors.

I installed OCCT and tried to test the system with that. As the system heats up i see my fans speed up on the system and on the GPU. At full stress for 10 minutes my CPU is 42c and the GPU at 56c

When doing the GPU test I see the furry thing moving under normal testing, but when I select error check... it does not move meanwhile all the readings still are active including frame rate.

Finally I read here on Toms that it could be that the board may be overclocked or unstable from the factory... and that someone else who has this problem should try to slow it down. I dont know even where to begin on how to slow down the clock speed let alone know where i can find that information.

Being my first computer and spending almost $1600 in parts gas and tolls etc. Its so frustrating that its not working.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thank you!!

Hmm, it almost seems like this is something up with your graphics card. I'd like to ask a couple questions If I may.

1. What mouse are you using.
a. Also, you are saying your screen blacks out for a little bit then comes back on? IT really leads me to believe that something is wrong with the card.
2. If you read into 1a at all It is my belief that if you are still able to return the card to the store you purchased it at for a replacement/exchange for the card you have you should go that route.
a. Gigabyte takes a really long time to RMA cards roughly 3-4 weeks. I have the same card as you I don't run into your issues with it. I was curious of how long a RMA would take turn around wise and they said 3-4 weeks which is not acceptable for a 400 dollar card.

the LAN driver and the other pertinent motherboard drivers and sound driver off the disc, then go to windows update.

when installing the graphics driver only install the graphics and physx drivers.

the resolution set by windows isn't the right setting. go make the monitor set to native resolution and check the refresh rate.

NYCMedic

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Thank you for your reply. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Microsoft Intellimouse

2. yes the screen has blacked out for just a moment or two then came back with the error messages. just to test I took out 2 of the ram sticks... left 2 in... slots 1 & 3 and then booted up. Tried to load up a game Sleeping dogs that I got free with the GPU... it lasted a good 3 minutes before the screen froze. Left it that way and about 90 seconds later my system automatically rebooted itself.

I was concerned with an RMA too. I dont want to wait 3-4 weeks... so today I ordered 2 new cards. First is an a exact replacement of the card I have also I ordered the equivalent in Radeon 7970 Gigabyte OC. I will have them tomorrow to try. Ordered from Amazon so they will take em back without any issues. But if i do find the card is a problem... I will simply replace it with the one from Amazon and return the bad card to MicroCenter... they have a 14 day policy. Im on day 6. So Im good if I have to return it. Just hoping to avoid it. MC is almost 90 minutes away.

So your suggesting re-install everything again from scratch... using the Disk for LAN and other pertinent drivers (chipset, audio, USB) and then graphics...from disk or online... and how do I know which are just the graphics and physx drivers?

The info on my monitor is as follows:
Its an older Dell E228WFP - 1680 X 1050 - 60 Hz.

Thank you for your reply as well!!

Appreciate you both trying to help.

I was concerned with an RMA too. I dont want to wait 3-4 weeks... so today I ordered 2 new cards. First is an a exact replacement of the card I have also I ordered the equivalent in Radeon 7970 Gigabyte OC. I will have them tomorrow to try. Ordered from Amazon so they will take em back without any issues. But if i do find the card is a problem... I will simply replace it with the one from Amazon and return the bad card to MicroCenter... they have a 14 day policy. Im on day 6. So Im good if I have to return it. Just hoping to avoid it. MC is almost 90 minutes away.

Wow you must have some high amount of credit there :p Yea I like to get it all working fast and quick and if not take care of the issue right away because its more painless that way.

Also your monitor resolution looks just fine sir.

Always use the most up to date drivers online. I think he was asking you to make sure you have all pertinent drivers to your computer installed.

NYCMedic

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

I have a few extra dollars in my paypal account so used my paypal debit card. Also ordered a different motherboard that I got today... Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD3H Just in case all cards have the same issue... thenits probably the mobo I would guess. This is so frustrating. Im even considering just dismanteling everything, pack it up and bring it back for a refund... and buy a DigitalStorm system already done up. Or simply give up hopes of playing games on a PC. Believe it or not... I only did this to play 2 possibly 3 games: GTA IV, GTA V if on PC and the new SimCity.

So frustrating.

NYCMedic

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
What are the pertinent drivers needed for the motherboard or system? Newegg says: LAN, Chipsent, USB and Audio in that order. Is there anything else I should be loading?

the resolution thing.......... how many times do you put a new build together and along the way windows will say the resolution isn't right. do you want windows to set it for you?........... I can't remember a time it actually set it to native resolution. so, ,even though it has nothing to do with the problem ( sans refresh rate ) it's good to make sure it is actually correct.

you mentioned you only installed the LAN driver and seek'd out everything else. You should have installed the necessary stuff off the disc and looked for updated stuff later if you felt you needed it.

custom or advanced install on graphics driver will show you the options......... most people just install everything. some not needed, some allow maggot-ware invade your machine, some cause conflicts with other drivers.

AHCI should have been done before you tried to install anything. that could be the sticking point. if you don't know how to do the registry fix for it you need to go back and do it right.

don't know why you can't do a reset cmos ( did I read that earlier? )......

also, if you have an SSD and a HD installed, pull the one you are not installing the operating system on until the machine is up and running./

I just want to support what Swifty said. Often with the MB disk you get hardware drivers that DO NOT install through Windows update. The reason for this is: Win 7 doesn't know what the hardware exists until SOME driver is installed. This is especially true for USB controllers.

NYCMedic

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Thank you for your reply!

this is my first ever build. I was debating buy one from one of the companies online or build it. Most here on Toms say build your own and reference youtube videos for how to's. I viewed NewEgg and others and figured with 9 components what could really go wrong?

I dont know what AHCI is, nor do I know what a CMOS or know how to reset it. LOL but will look them both up. I dont mind wiping everything and starting over. Its 5 days Im doing this... so doing once more will not kill me. At this point I will try anything to get this to work so I dont have to return it.

As for installing the Drivers for the motherboard... NewEggs videos suggested just install the LAN driver so you can access the internet... then download the chipset, ram and audio from the mobo manufacturer's website, then do your graphics card and install everything.... so that what I did. I also tried installing direct from CD's then updating when I got online etc. All resulted with graphic issues.

I will look up what you mentioned... especially the AHCI and see what it is and how I can do it prior to installing anything.

Thanks again for your replies.

NYCMedic

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Thank you for your reply. I will do a fresh install again... Installing the MOBO CD, etc. Then let windows update then the graphic card stuff.. but only graphics and physx drivers if I can figure that out. :)

AHCI is advanced host controller interface its how your hard drives are setup you set your interface up within the bios. Your bios has all your computers hardware settings in it CPU clocks, MEMORY timings, Computer voltages, hard drive arrangements, boot order all sorts of stuff.

They tell you to install the LAN driver so yea you can get the most up to date software updates from the website directly rather then the CD/DVD.

NYCMedic

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Thank you! Yes I found what it means thans to google. Cant seem to find it in the Asus UEFI BIOS Settings. :(

I found a way to turn it on in Windows:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html

Will this work?

NYCMedic

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Ok. Thanks. Almost finsished installing Windows 7 then I will check that AHCI in windows.... I have yet to figure out where to find it inUEFI. gigabyte UEFI has it but I dont see where ASUS has it.

NYCMedic

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Funny I just found it prior to seeing this. I also found on google that this is set to ACHI by default. So thats all set.

I installed the LAN driver off the disk and will now install the Chipset, USB and Audio from Asus's website.

NYCMedic

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Look at it this way... at least Im trying to help myself a bit with searching. Some just wait for answers. But I appreciate it. Ok... Chipset, USB and Audio installed via ASUS Website.

Now for graphics driver... From Nvidia.

NYCMedic

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Appreciate that. Downloading the graphic card stuff... but I did this all before with the exception of checking the AHCI thing. In this same order.

After i install the graphic card... what is the best way to test it without downloading GTA iV or Sleeping dogs from steam which takes forever. LOL

NYCMedic

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Another Question... there are a couple of 3D Drivers and another audio driver in the breakdown of the Nvidia drivers. Do I need the 3D Drivers for things like GTA IV or Sleeping dogs or should I not install them?