Closed Solved

ASUS P8Z77-V Premium SLI w/ 2x GTX660TIs Issue

Hello,

I have a ASUS P8Z77-V Premium motherboard and 2x GTX660TIs running off a 750W power supply. When I connect one graphics card, everything works fine. When I connect the second one, the computer behaves slowly and crashes/freezes with no discernible cause -- regardless of whether SLI is enabled or SLI settings or whether the SLI connector is connected. I have confirmed both are receiving power by plugging a separate monitor into each one. I have tried swapping the graphics cards and they both appear to be working.

Does anyone have any thoughts or information that can help? Is this a valid configuration? Furthermore, should I try contacting Nvidia, EVGA, or ASUS directly?

Thanks
Jordan
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about asus p8z77 premium gtx660tis issue
  1. Okay so let me ask a few questions here and maybe we can get this more narrowed down for you if we could please.

    1. What power supply do you currently have.
    A. I understand you have ample power however for reference sake it will be nice to know the quality of the unit.
    2. You have one card that is from EVGA and one that is from ASUS correct?
    A. The one company you can rule out to talk to would be NVIDIA.
  2. 1. Corsair AX750 (CMPSU-750AX)
    2. Nope, the motherboard is ASUS and I have two of the exact cards. When I ordered them I literally selected "2" in the quantity field. They are both EVGA.
  3. Oh okay I got it now so your board is ASUS and that is why you included them gotcha. Also you have a very high quality power supply I have the AX850. Do you get the weird errors as you enable SLi?
  4. No errors or error messages. Just general system instability. The system will freeze/crash if I start a game after about 5 minutes, and it will run very slowly. Additionally, the computer seems very sluggish even when not running a game when both GPUs are installed.

    PS: I do have VIRTU MVP installed, but I disabled it.
  5. I would uninstall it completely to be honest VIRTU MVP whether it is disabled or not I've heard it isn't very good. I have the ability to use VIRTU on my Z68 but I don't. Seems very odd that you would be experiencing slow down when you start to play a game.

    What does your system look like

    CPU:
    MEMORY:
    VIDEO CARD: 2x 660Ti's
    PSU: CORSAIR AX750
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P8Z77-V Premium
  6. Well, it's slow all around. But seems to crash if I start anything graphically intensive.

    CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
    MEMORY: 16gb
    Patriot Viper 3 Extreme Performance DDR3 Dual-Channel 1600MhZ (4x4gb sticks)
    VIDEO CARD: 2x EVGA Nvidia Geforce 660Ti's
    PSU: CORSAIR AX750
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P8Z77-V Premium
  7. also make sure your mb bios is up to date.
  8. Hmm very odd. You definitely have the power for it. One thing you can try is having 1 card installed and taking one card out and seeing if that makes a difference. You could also run memtest x86 to check your memory.

    http://www.memtest86.com/
  9. Well, yes. Both cards will run individually, but not together
  10. Maybe updating your motherboards BIOS will perhaps help a little do you have the most up to date bios.
  11. I would normally suspect a faulty SLi bridge or faulty motherboard but I've not had any experience with VIRTU MVP so I can't say what effect that may or may not have.
  12. Well he did say that he doesn't have VIRTU MVP installed so I would say he is safe there quite possibly a bad bridge yea I just don't know. Just very weird behavior.
  13. jn2guru said:
    No errors or error messages. Just general system instability. The system will freeze/crash if I start a game after about 5 minutes, and it will run very slowly. Additionally, the computer seems very sluggish even when not running a game when both GPUs are installed.

    PS: I do have VIRTU MVP installed, but I disabled it.


    Anonymous said:
    Well he did say that he doesn't have VIRTU MVP installed so I would say he is safe there quite possibly a bad bridge yea I just don't know. Just very weird behavior.
  14. oh fair enough you got me mouse I thought I had told him earlier to uninstall it.
    Quote:
    I would uninstall it completely to be honest VIRTU MVP whether it is disabled or not I've heard it isn't very good. I have the ability to use VIRTU on my Z68 but I don't. Seems very odd that you would be experiencing slow down when you start to play a game.
    doesn't mean he has though true enough.
  15. Best answer
    mak1e sure the mb reading both cards at 8x speed using gpu-z to read them. the other card should be in the white pci slot. also try switch the pci video bus speed from 3.0 mode to 2.0 mode and see if it the multiplex chip on the mb that having an issue.
  16. Uninstalled VirtuLogic, no effect.

    smorizio said:
    mak1e sure the mb reading both cards at 8x speed using gpu-z to read them. the other card should be in the white pci slot. also try switch the pci video bus speed from 3.0 mode to 2.0 mode and see if it the multiplex chip on the mb that having an issue.


    I set PCI Bus speed from 3.0 to 2.0, and all issues have seem to be resolved. Seeing as my motherboard is supposed to support PCI Express 3.0, I should bring this up with Asus, correct?

    More info:

    GPU-Z:
    1:http://i.imgur.com/jdFUV.gif
    2: http://i.imgur.com/kcYHB.gif
  17. Yea I would talk to them you have a z77 board and a ivy bridge cpu I would talk to them yes.
  18. Best answer selected by jn2guru.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Asus SLI Graphics