Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this compatible?

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 28, 2013 9:56:57 PM

I have a Gateway DX4840 Desktop with no upgrades or changes.

I'm planning on upgrading my ATI Radeon HD 5450 to a ATI Radeon HD 6670
http://www.amazon.ca/Radeon-Hd6670-PCi-Express-Video-HD...

Is my system compatible with this upgrade? Is there anything else I would need?

More about : compatible

February 28, 2013 10:05:18 PM

Might need a new PSU. Are you wanting to game? That is a weak GPU and won't game past lowest settings on 1080p.

What are the current system specs?
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 10:15:10 PM

I'm planning on gaming, but not things like Skyrim, or Battlefield.

The specs are:

Processor: Intel i3 Dual-core 3.2ghz Hyper threaded
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450
PSU: I don't know anything besides that it's 300 Watts
RAM: 4 Gigabytes

I play most of my games on windowed with a Resolution of 1600x900.

I generally play games like League of Legends or Dungeon Defenders.
Nothing really demanding like Battlefield and etc.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 28, 2013 10:28:33 PM

personally i would never run anything under 450W PSU but hey Gatway built it right.

according to AMD.com you need a minimum of a 400W PSU. You have a 300W PSU you will need to get a new PSU to run that card to be on the safe side.

also here is the same type of card cheaper and has rebates. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 11:02:06 PM

Do you have know PSU's you could recommend me?
I'm pretty new to this computer upgrading stuff
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 11:11:17 PM

If you have a budget for it it would help but here is a cheap one that will work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this will give more than enough power for your system and a new mid grade build for the future. this is just a cheap one that has Active PFC (required in my opinion for system safety). there are ones like i have that are modular that you only add cables that you need and the rest stay in a box out of the machine but you really don't need to go that route unless you want to do a new very clean build.

there will be extra wires that go to nothing. this is normal just tuck them out of the way and tie them together to keep them from moving around and you will be fine.
m
0
l
March 1, 2013 4:30:05 PM

newegg has free shipping on some of their parts also by the way.

here is the same thing cheaper as long as you use rebates and free shipping from newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

yes it will work and amazons is out of stock. they just discontinued that PSU last night sry.
m
0
l
March 1, 2013 4:49:13 PM

NEVER use a RAIDMAX psu. Its the worst of the worst. They make less than half their stated wattage.

Get only Antec, XFX, Corsair, Seasonic. 450w is more than enough for this system. I would recommend the corsair cx430. Its an amazing unit and will run your system with no issues.
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 1:13:48 AM

tiny voices said:
NEVER use a RAIDMAX psu. Its the worst of the worst. They make less than half their stated wattage.

Get only Antec, XFX, Corsair, Seasonic. 450w is more than enough for this system. I would recommend the corsair cx430. Its an amazing unit and will run your system with no issues.



If that was the case my PSU would be no good. I run way over 250W with just basic parts not including all my fans, hard drives and sound card. they are Not top of the line But NOT worst of the worst.

Quote:
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. And I forgot to say, but I live in Canada so things cost more.

I found a Antec 450 Watt. Would this be good?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/pro [...] 891b4cen02


try to go with at least an EA version from antec Like EA430. After looking at the specs you referred to no where does it say it has "Active PFC" this like I said before is a requirement for system protection. Other ways if the PSU craps out it can take a lot more with it.

Canada explains the amazon links. I don't know any cheep places in Canada sry.

EDIT: side note I also run a Antec EA650 in my other machine that I built for my kids to game on. It has been a very reliable PSU for over 5 years now.
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 6:50:03 PM

bgunner said:
If that was the case my PSU would be no good. I run way over 250W with just basic parts not including all my fans, hard drives and sound card. they are Not top of the line But NOT worst of the worst.

Quote:
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. And I forgot to say, but I live in Canada so things cost more.

I found a Antec 450 Watt. Would this be good?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/pro [...] 891b4cen02


try to go with at least an EA version from antec Like EA430. After looking at the specs you referred to no where does it say it has "Active PFC" this like I said before is a requirement for system protection. Other ways if the PSU craps out it can take a lot more with it.

Canada explains the amazon links. I don't know any cheep places in Canada sry.

EDIT: side note I also run a Antec EA650 in my other machine that I built for my kids to game on. It has been a very reliable PSU for over 5 years now.



Raidmax is the worst of the worst. Lowest tier (5) brand and awful reputation. They aren't good at all. Generally Raidmax is a "replace immediately" brand.
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 7:20:14 PM

tiny voices said:
Raidmax is the worst of the worst. Lowest tier (5) brand and awful reputation. They aren't good at all. Generally Raidmax is a "replace immediately" brand.



That is your opinion, but just try a Logisys PSU. That is the lowest if the low.
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 7:23:20 PM

bgunner said:
That is your opinion, but just try a Logisys PSU. That is the lowest if the low.


I'm not trying to argue, but RAIDMAX is awful. Its a fact. They are terrible quality. Check any benchmark. No one on this forum would ever recommend one and when someone has one, they are recommended to change it ASAP.
m
0
l
!