Sign in with
Your question

Tried to upgrade Gateway FX6850-51u and failed

Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2013 11:57:50 PM

Hi forum, I've been really frustrated with this here issue and made an account here so I could ask about it. I'll appreciate any help on the subject.

I've had this Gateway computer ( http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-fx6850-51u/450... ) for about 1 1/2 years and I decided that it was time to upgrade the graphics. I bought an EVGA GTX 660 and installed it; it worked great for about a month (just long enough for the return policy to expire) and then one day it crashed hard while I was playing Dota 2. I mean pink artifacts popped up all over the screen and the computer completely froze. Now, whenever I use that GPU, it looks like this http://i.imgur.com/iI21ryD.jpg , although the old GT 440 that came with the Gateway works perfectly fine. Did I damage the card or is it just not getting enough power?

I got to thinking that the 450w PSU was dying, so I ordered this corsair tx650w http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... as a replacement. However, when I installed this in my computer, apparently it wasn't compatible with the motherboard (which I'm pretty sure is some custom H67 Acer board made specifically for Gateway computers) because even though the power supply "works", it only spins up the fans of the computer. Yes, I did plug in the 8-pin and 24-pin ATX, as well as all the other connections for the hard drive, cd case and whatnot. I don't know what I missed; I figured the power supply was faulty so I RMA'd it, got the new one and it did the same thing.

Now I wanted to try a new motherboard and see if it would work; I bought a ASRock Z77 Pro3 http://www.amazon.com/LGA1155-Z77-CrossFireX-Motherboar... , connected it to the PSU, jumped the "pwr_btn" pins (I have to do that, right?) and nothing happened. Of course. Taking the CPU and RAM out of my Gateway is a pain (my only computer) and I read that the motherboard or PSU would still show signs of life without them, so haven't done that yet.

Obviously, there's some operating error here, I just don't know where. I thought about buying a case to plug the motherboard into and have a physical power button to press, but I really don't want to continue down this slippery slope of buying new parts. Right now, I'm sitting on $400 of parts (GPU, PSU, mobo), one of which I can no longer return (GPU) to newegg... should have bought amazon.

Thanks for reading this essay, I wanted to provide as much detail as possible about my problem. Please note that I am pretty much a noob at computer building, everything I know is from the internet only and this is my first, terrible experience with computer building.
March 1, 2013 12:51:12 AM

warranty time on the graphics card

your psu is compatible with your old mb

a mb will do nothing without a processor , RAM etx . It might make a beep code if it had a speaker installed
m
l
March 1, 2013 1:07:49 AM

The warranty is 3 years, it's still in warranty but I don't think EVGA will let me do a full return. I know they do RMA replacements, but they do charge shipping and I want to make sure it's not just insufficient power. I wish I had someone to help me with the psu but unfortunately not. As for the mobo, I'll try and put the old CPU and RAM in and then jump the power and see if it works.
m
l
Related resources
March 1, 2013 2:11:49 AM

I dont believe your problem with graphics is caused by a psu that cant supply enough power

But it is odd that your mb wont power up with a different PSU . Two different PSU's even

m
l
March 2, 2013 6:33:51 PM

alright, yesterday I managed to get the new Z77 motherboard running with the corsair power supply by plugging in my old CPU and RAM, so now I know those 2 parts are working fine. Then I plugged in the GTX 660 into the setup, got into the BIOS screen, and the display was just as corrupted. I'm RMA'ing that 660 right now. Thanks for the help, Outlander.

My only remaining question is, why isn't my Corsair tx650 working with my computer(gateway 6850-51u)? Like, it only spins the fans up every 5 seconds, which is an odd behavior, and it doesn't power anything else on. Has anyone else owned this computer and tried to replace the PSU on it?
m
l
March 12, 2013 11:12:55 AM

I'm going through the exact same thing with my wife's computer (model TX6850-51u) right now! I purchased a new video card for her system and it required more amps on the +12v rail than the LiteOn power supply provided with the system. I purchased a Thermaltake ATX 750W power supply (SMART SP-750M) and the PC fans would only spin for a few seconds and would not post. Thinking the problem was a bad power supply, I returned it for an ATX Corsair 650W (TX650M). After installing this power supply, the exact same thing happened...no post with spinning fans for a few seconds. I plugged the LiteOn power supply back into the system and everything works great (with her old video card). I've never seen this before in all my years of computer building, but it looks as if Gateway built a system with a motherboard that will only post with a particular power supply! What a load of crap this is! It really sucks that I have to purchase a new power supply (~$100) and motherboard (~$120) just to replace a freakin video card. Screw Gateway! Good luck with your troubleshooting!
m
l
March 18, 2013 12:20:58 AM

BRMc0622 said:
I'm going through the exact same thing with my wife's computer (model TX6850-51u) right now! I purchased a new video card for her system and it required more amps on the +12v rail than the LiteOn power supply provided with the system. I purchased a Thermaltake ATX 750W power supply (SMART SP-750M) and the PC fans would only spin for a few seconds and would not post. Thinking the problem was a bad power supply, I returned it for an ATX Corsair 650W (TX650M). After installing this power supply, the exact same thing happened...no post with spinning fans for a few seconds. I plugged the LiteOn power supply back into the system and everything works great (with her old video card). I've never seen this before in all my years of computer building, but it looks as if Gateway built a system with a motherboard that will only post with a particular power supply! What a load of crap this is! It really sucks that I have to purchase a new power supply (~$100) and motherboard (~$120) just to replace a freakin video card. Screw Gateway! Good luck with your troubleshooting!

ok great, this is actually what I was hoping to hear, confirms my belief about that motherboard being Gateway custom. sorry for the late reply. I ended up building a new system using only the processor and RAM from the gateway. As for the video card, it's been RMA'd twice now; all 3 cards had similar problems, and on this new system too, so hell - it could be the RAM or processor, but most likely a driver (software) issue.
m
l
!