[ PLEASE HELP! ] system problems! (about to RMA everything)

_computernewbie_

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Help! please!
as my name may suggest I am not great when it comes to computers, and when things don't work I am vary scared that I have made an expensive mistake.

-ok, my computer randomly doesn't turn on sometimes, and other times it does it always turns on and off fine within 5 minutes of me powering it down, but when I leave it off overnight, or while i'm in school i cant get it to turn on unless, well theres no real pattern it just sometimes decides to let me turn it on

-my monitor (benq xl2420t) doesn't run 120 hz with dual link dvi on my 7970 lightning graphics cards (in crossfire) the monitor gets forced to some much lower resolution when i enable 120hz, but i know it is supposed to do 120hz at 1080p

-the LEDs on the graphics cards show there usage or something, because when I benchmarked them almost all the lights were on, but the ones that arent supposed to be on randomly flicker, and the ones on the second card are mostly all the way off.

-when my computer doesn't turn on it makes no noticeable attempt no fans/lights/ect...

I am planing to RMA everything I can over the weekend while i still have warranties. convince my otherwise? I SERIOUSLY NEED HELP!

-the LEDs on the graphics cards show there usage or something, because when I benchmarked them almost all the lights were on, but the ones that arent supposed to be on randomly flicker, and the ones on the second card are mostly all the way off.

This sounds perfectly normal.

_computernewbie_

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
ok so no need to RMA GPUs so is it the monitor thats preventing the 120hz? i noticed when i arranged the dvi-d cable in different ways it sometimes didn't give me the option for anything above 60 hz at any res, and sometimes (ex: when i plugged the cable into the bottom card)
didn't send anything to the monitor

and should i just replace the psu, i really don't want to have to rebuild everything. but i'm afraid it will get to be to late if i don't act now. i also noticed that my computer smells metalic which is to be expected i guess, but i'm afraid something is getting fried it almost smells like something bad is hapening

also, any other things i can knock off my rma list

I am stressing out over this allot and i am vary scared, Please help!