Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Graphics Card Help?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 11, 2013 3:34:26 AM

I am currently using a HP DC7600 as my Home Theater PC and it is running it really well but the Graphics is falling behind and it is using onboard. I would like to use it to have the occasional light game on Minecraft. I have been browsing around for a Graphics card that is pretty low - mid budget and will improve performance, my issue is that the PC might not have the correct port to support it, The machine has PCI-E x16 but I'm not sure if it is PCI-E x16 1 or 2. The card I am looking at requires 2, the PSU will be able to handle it as the card uses a max of 75 Watts and this PC has a 245 watt PSU. I know this card will run Minecraft as my friend used to use this and I can run Minecraft on one of my old rigs with 256MB V-Ram.

This is the Graphics Card:

http://www.asus.co.nz/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/GT61...
I can get it for $65 NZD which is no problem.

The PC Specs:

Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.2GHz
2GB Ram
500GB WD Caviar Black
128GB Corsair SSD (I had one laying around)
235Watt PSU

More about : graphics card

a c 180 U Graphics card
January 11, 2013 3:48:19 AM

That card will work in your pc.pci exp is backward compaitable.you are good to go.
Score
0
Related resources
January 11, 2013 4:13:33 AM

I know the PSU is quite low but it should be enough... the card is rated 75 watt max and the pc has 235watt, you can't replace the psu in this PC as it is HP proprietary
Score
0
a c 180 U Graphics card
January 11, 2013 4:18:55 AM

No your pci exp slot is rated at 75w max.gt 610 is rated at 29w at max.
Score
0
January 11, 2013 5:07:11 AM

ASHISH65 said:
No your pci exp slot is rated at 75w max.gt 610 is rated at 29w at max.


So I am Fine right?

And according to this http://www.asus.co.nz/Graphics_Car [...] ifications
"Power Consumption:U p to 75W no additional PCIe power required"
Score
0
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 11, 2013 5:08:28 AM

With a 610 you will be okay more then likely they put very poor quality power supply units in these store bought machines.
Score
0
a c 180 U Graphics card
January 11, 2013 5:11:14 AM

I explain see pci exp slot can give upto 75w power so any gpu which has max power is below 75w will did not need 6pin connector for powering gpu.gt 610 has just 29w power max not 75w.so you are good to go.
Score
0
January 11, 2013 5:13:54 AM

bigshootr8 said:
With a 610 you will be okay more then likely they put very poor quality power supply units in these store bought machines.


I completely agree with you, it is rated for 235 Watts but I doubt it is putting out that much. Probably around 200 Watts.
Score
0
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 11, 2013 5:20:36 AM

It's not the 610 probably will take up next to nothing power wise. They rate the power for CPU's that draw a lot power wise. I would just saying in the future you may want to look towards a new system come the next year or year and a half. Maybe build a machine this time around and get a more overall better system.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2013 5:25:50 AM

Nvidia graphic cards use a lot of power try a AMD ATI/ Radeon card probably HD6*** series . pick any one
My choice is SAPPHIRE HD 6670
-Uses less power
-Runs any game in high setting with decent FPS
-A HTCP enabled
Score
0
January 11, 2013 5:26:02 AM

bigshootr8 said:
It's not the 610 probably will take up next to nothing power wise. They rate the power for CPU's that draw a lot power wise. I would just saying in the future you may want to look towards a new system come the next year or year and a half. Maybe build a machine this time around and get a more overall better system.



Just to clarify, I will be able to use the 610? I was also considering loading Windows 7 on this PC as well.
Score
0
January 11, 2013 5:27:40 AM

sanilmahambre said:
Nvidia graphic cards use a lot of power try a AMD ATI/ Radeon card probably HD6*** series . pick any one
My choice is SAPPHIRE HD 6670
-Uses less power
-Runs any game in high setting with decent FPS
-A HTCP enabled



I have already have already decided on the GT 610, it uses very little power.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 133 U Graphics card
January 11, 2013 5:31:49 AM

I can't say for certain as your power supply is of poor quality but I would say more then likely yes. Your computer probably uses next to 0 power. Your processor uses up 84 watts of power and your motherboard probably uses very little as well so maybe 100-120 max between the two. I would say you should be okay but I don't feel confident telling you yes or no. I just have a feeling it will work given how low of a power requirement the card needs (just the power of the slot).
Share
January 11, 2013 6:44:26 AM

Best answer selected by DH1Studios.
Score
0
!