Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer Build for 3D Rendering & Particle Animation-Advice?

Last response: in Systems
March 1, 2013 4:07:10 AM

As the title says, I'm planning to build a rig to do some heavy video editing - specifically with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and After Effects CS6. In addition, I plan on using Video Copilot's Element 3D v1.5, Optical Flares, and Twitch plugins for After Effects, and Red Giant's Trapcode Particular 2.2.

I've been using PCPartPicker.com so far to piece together my rig. Here's what I've got so far:
> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GAgY
What isn't listed there is 1 internal 3.5" card reader
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
that I plan to use for...card reading. Specifically, for SD cards since that's what I'll be recording my video footage to.

Anybody have any words of advice? Anything from what specs I need to match up on different parts to general computer building to details about individual parts - everything is welcome. I'd like to cheapen the build a bit. The main things I'm debating on are the processor, video card, and power supply (which generally changes depending on the wattage needs of the video card).

And lastly, in terms of software, if anybody has had experience with Trapcode Particular, Trapcode Form, or both, what are the differences between the two and which is the more well-rounded program? Trapcode Particular costs $200 more, but I can get it for the same price as Trapcode Form because of the academic discount (I'm a college student :D ). So the price of either isn't really a factor in my case.
March 1, 2013 4:33:32 AM

Just want to confirm that I'm not missing something here, this will be strictly a 3D video rendering and not 3D modeling machine...
I'm not sure you'll want my feedback here, I'm looking at boosting your budget some but I did come acress this article which may be somewhat enlightning on video card choices http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.... It is suggest the entire article be read (it is interesting IMO although a little dated).
Hope it's of some help
March 1, 2013 12:18:20 PM

I'm going to be using Blender in my editing process, but for the most part I'll be working directly in Premiere and After Effects.

That article is very interesting... I knew about the Mercury Playback Engine on Premiere, but I disregarded it because Adobe's self-published list of supported GPUs is a bit out of my budget - and even more out of my budget for After Effect's GPU acceleration/CUDA acceleration.

> http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/mercury-playback...
> http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/tech-specs.h...

But, that article does provide benchmark statistics for non-listed cards, so I'm not sure what to make of it :sweat: 

If possible, I would love to buy a GTX 470/570/670 instead of the Radeon 7870. But I would have to cut down the cost on part(s) of the build somehow.
Related resources

Best solution

March 1, 2013 12:42:22 PM

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B75 PRO3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Compuvest)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Audigy SE 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($28.57 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Xigmatek ASGARD PRO (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse II Wired Standard Keyboard ($44.41 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G500 Wired Laser Mouse ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1234.39
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Changed some things around, locked CPU and a different chipset b/c you really don't need to be overclocking on a workstation machine ie. stability is a must.

Don't need the aftermarket if you're not overclocking.

Changed the ram its going ot be slightly cheaper with the exact same performance.

Changed the video card to the 670, if that's what your looking for with the GPU acceleration from the nvidia cards.

Not sure if you need a sound card, it's really unnecessary you can do without it.

Also you should look into wired internet, it's quicker and cheaper unless you need the WiFi.
March 1, 2013 1:34:11 PM

Would I still need thermal paste on the locked CPU? I read that ivy bridge processors run very hot compared to sandy. I like everything there but I'd like to ask what the differences in the motherboards are.
March 1, 2013 1:47:48 PM

LeMonarque said:
Would I still need thermal paste on the locked CPU? I read that ivy bridge processors run very hot compared to sandy. I like everything there but I'd like to ask what the differences in the motherboards are.

The motherboards are basically the same the only real difference is the b75 chipset (locked chipset) to the z77 (best for over clocking). You will see no performance difference in the ability of the motherboards, they function exactly the same, the z77 chipset just comes with a premium because of it's easy overclockability.

Thermal paste is pre applied, the stock fan will more than sufficiently cool the ivy bridge, they really aren't all that more hot.
March 1, 2013 1:47:56 PM

You might want to consider going to 16GB RAM vs. 8GB RAM. I run CS6 on both my computer and my wife's computer - and when dealing with heavy photo and/or video editing - the 16GB in my computer makes a big difference. There is only a $40-60 difference in price and you will be glad you added it later.
March 1, 2013 1:50:11 PM

ronintexas said:
You might want to consider going to 16GB RAM vs. 8GB RAM. I run CS6 on both my computer and my wife's computer - and when dealing with heavy photo and/or video editing - the 16GB in my computer makes a big difference. There is only a $40-60 difference in price and you will be glad you added it later.

Adding the extra 8gb will definitely increase your performance here is the 16gb counterpart to the one suggested it's only like $35 more.
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)

There is a combo that lowers it's price.
March 1, 2013 2:26:01 PM

Alright, so with everything posted so far, I've edited the build to look like this:
> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GMs6

Not sure about CompuVest (vendor for the MSI GTX 570) but I did find the exact same card on Amazon:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008809SUM/

Also, I may change the SD card reader after reading the reviews of it. But that's like a $5 difference tops, so no big deal.

I feel so silly for forgetting about RAM previews! You guys are absolutely right, 16GB is a clear choice.

So (I think/hope) my last questions are: for RAM, all other things being equal, is it better to go 4x4 or 2x8, and how is the MSI 570 vs the Galaxy 670 linked earlier?

Galaxy 670 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Concerning RAM, I've been reading mixed views. Some say 2x8 is better because of increased stability, while others say 4x4 is better because you won't have "all your eggs in 1 basket".
March 1, 2013 2:31:31 PM

The only real advantage in having multiple RAM sticks is if one goes bad, you can remove a single stick, and still have the remainder of the RAM.

For the price of RAM today, I typically don't replace single sticks - it is an "all or nothing" replacement - just because I want to ensure reliability, and mixing/matching RAM causes issues. Typically at $50 per 8GB, peace of mind is better than trying to save $25 in my opinion....

All said - go with the best price for the "kit" of 16GB....I don't think you will notice any real difference in the performance.

This kind of reminds me about the "should I leave my computer on 24 hours a day, or power down when not using my computer" argument. Has that ever been solved? LOL.
March 8, 2013 2:14:15 AM

Best answer selected by LeMonarque.
!