Need Help Picking a good GPU

alleriaq

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this week (the closer the better) BUDGET RANGE: about $340

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming Playing Starcraft 2, Dota 2 and League of Legends Mainly occasionally GW2 and Skyrim

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: my GPU is so outdated its not even worth mentioning, PSU 700W (new)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: MOBO: ASRock G31M-S
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 8200
RAM: 4gb (not sure what brand)
Planning to eventually get newer components when i have the $$$

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Centrecom, Australia

PARTS PREFERENCES: Any Reliable brand/Card

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: whats SLI and whats Crossfire...

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900 i may be getting a new monitor soon with higher RES

pit_1209

Distinguished

PSu brand and next possible res. for new monitor would be great.

pit_1209

Distinguished
Sli and Crossfire are multi-gpu setups, I mean 2 or more cards interconnected.
Requires an AMD CrossFire™ Ready motherboard, an AMD CrossFire™ Bridge Interconnect (for each additional graphics card) and may require a specialized power supply.

pit_1209

Distinguished

You will need the drivers beforehand but you can download the last version or just installed the one in the cd that comes with the card, about if it fits I need to know which is your case if that´s possible.

alleriaq

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
:bounce:

my case doesnt display the name anywhere :p is there a way to find out?

pit_1209

Distinguished

How much free space you got inside your case with your build, is everything very tigth or there´s plenty of it.
Can you take photos?

alleriaq

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

it should fit length wise but im not sure about width
dr465z.jpg

I'm going to disagree here not because of the techreport that shows that the 660Ti can be stronger then the 7950.
http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti-revisited

But because he is a old socket 775 chip that is at least 4-5 years old. August 2008 is when they released. He needs a more mid range card a 7950 isn't a mid range card and even the 660Ti may throw him a curve ball. I would be looking at a 7850 or a gtx660 non ti and start looking towards Haswell or Skylake. I'm referring to CPU architecture I would say that you would need to look towards the next 2 gens as points of where upgrading would yield the biggest return when looking at graphic cards.