Could this cause FPS drop?

schpen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
OKay, well I have an HD 5770, 4 gb of ram, and an i5 2400. Yes I know my gfx is outdated, but im having some low FPS in this game I play called Smite. It only uses direct x 9, but on high settings, im only getting like 30-40fps, which is very noticeably low. So I guess my question is, I tested my hard drive, and apparently its damaged, and has bad sectors, could this lower my FPS and cause studdering or anything like that? and could adding another 4gigs of ram, possibly help with FPS? I just dont think with my i5 2400, and the 5770 I should be have THAT much trouble running this directx 9 game. Any help is appreciated.

schpen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I've tried all kinds of resolutions. 1280*768/900 all the way up to 1920*1080.. im just curious if having an old hard drive could cause FPS drops.. Its a SATA 1.5g/s 8mb cache 7200rpm 160gb HD.(Not very big I know), ive had it for a while.. and Seagate tools tells me the tests fail, and that I have bad sectors

schpen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
RspcH.jpg

It's quite possible that it could effect games sure the bad sectors on your hard drive mainly because it will also effect your windows experience which in turn will spill over into your gaming experience. How did you come across you having bad sectors on your HDD and have you backed up your files.

paulemannsen

Honorable
May 10, 2012
its highly unlikely that bad hdd sectors will decrease your framerate. nevertheless, the first thing you should do is backing up your data and buy a new one. this hdd is prone to give you more trouble in the future.

I wouldn't say its highly unlikely if there are sectors damaged and his game is being read from the hard disk its quite possible for his performance to suffer because of it. But yes if you haven't already backed up your info do so in the even't your computer takes a dive.