Crossfire 6870 HD freezing computer and won't work

purple221

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Problems:
-Even though I enable CF through CCC it doesn't work when I go in game, I know this because I have a gpu usage application.
-When I try to use furmark it crashes my computer outright, no BSOD, no control over keyboard just freeze.
- When I try to enter games such as OA:Arma 2 I crash the same way I crash when I use furmark
- In AMD overdrive it doesn't recognize my gpu even though my second gpu can actually clock speeds and such.

What I've done:
- Whipped my drivers clean and installed the latest ones
- Disable ULPS
- Go Fullscreen
- Switch out the gpu's mobo slots
- Keep my gpu's at manufacture clock speeds
- Disable my cpu OC
- Edited the profile files so that my idle clocks would be higher
- Tried enabling the CF logo (Which I still have yet to see)

Other details:

Before hand I only had one monitor and the only game that really froze my computer was OA: Arma 2 other games worked fine, after I got the 2nd monitor all of the games I played pretty much froze outright.

I know that both gpu's are working, I know it's not a ram problem, I know it's not a ssd or hd problem.

I am actually unsure if crossfire even worked before hand because I noticed that my fps was better without the second card.

Some specs:
Windows 8 Enterprise x64
Asrock 970 Extreme3
x2 AMD Radeon 6870's
hec Zephyr MX 750 750W
MSI Multi-GPU Flexible Cross Fire Bridge 4120

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It may be conflicting software issues. Turn off the extra stuff running in the background you can do without. Configsys/startup

Do you keep your system clean of resource hogging garbage and registry errors? Run CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry both.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner (may take a 2nd pass)

Have you cleaned out old driver remnants by running Driver Sweeper from Safe Mode after uninstalling the existing driver?
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.html (Remove any AMD, ATI, & Nvidia driver remnants it finds)

I would do those two things first to eliminate software issues.

If the problem persists, it may be a bad stick of RAM. Run memtest with a single stick in the 1st slot for at least 1 full pass to check the memory.
http://www.memtest.org/

purple221

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

I didn't really check the start up options but I did run ccleaner thoroughly deleting and repairing the registry files and ran driver sweeper taking out all the small driver files. I also ran memtest last night for both cards without any errors.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It sounds like you've done what I would've done. The next thing I'd probably do, is disable Xfire and run with a single card in the 1st slot. See if you can get the crashes to occur. Then swap cards and see if one is the culprit. If both cards work well on their own, I would be tempted to do a clean install of Win7 as a last resort.

Another thought... try changing the CF bridge, or run without. See if anything changes.

purple221

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

I already disabled CF and I do not get any crashes with either cards. I also switched the cards and it made no difference. However whenever I put the CF bridge with CF enabled I get BSOD screens on start ups. The weird thing is even if one end is connected and other isn't connected I get the BSOD when both are disconnected I get no BSOD

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Almost sounds like the bridge is defective. Maybe one end of it is grounded or shorted out. Do you have another bridge to try? Does it crash with both cards in and no bridge?

purple221

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

I just ordered a new bridge and I should be coming in on Tuesday and it doesn't crash when there's 2 cards and no bridge