Need best brands for Rambus

Wabbit

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Hi! I am need to know what brands of memory I can trust. I plan on buying a Rambus 512 MB module, Non ECC, 800 Mhz (is that the fastest?). Price is not the main consideration, above all I want reliability, performance and quality. Looking at Tom's Price Grabber, I am seeing these manufacturers: Memory Upgrades, SimpleTech, Viking, Kingston, Corsair, Edge Memory, Axiom, VisionTek, Compaq and Smart Modular. I am sure some of these options are proprietary, though the blurb didn't mention it. Thanks much!

FatBurger

Illustrious
I don't think all of those are the actual brands, but I could be wrong.

I just bought 512MB of Samsung, most people say it's the best. Get double-sided if you can, it runs cooler.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Samsung is definitely up there with the bests.

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>

debgk

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Adding to the list ... has anyone heard of syncmax as a manufacturer of rambus??

I have seen it listed with an incredible price thru price watch ($69 for 256 MB 800 mhz non-ecc)

They include this blurb:

An on-board SPD (Serial Presence Detect) EPROM chip is used to provide initialization information to the system processor on power-up. This technique assures compatibility across all Direct Rambus (DRDRAM) manufacturing partners producing various density DRAM devices.

Rambus Specifications:

RIMM Density: 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB
Voltage: Single 2.5 Volt Operation
RDRAM: 400MHz Clock Rate; 800MHz Data Rate
Serial Presence Detect with a Serial EEPROM
Meets Rambus RIMM Design Specifications

Also includes a 1 year warranty from the dealer.

Any comments??

thanks,
deb

rickd59

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
Deb,

I just ordered 2, 256 MB modules of Samsung RDR from nexthardwareshop.com for $73 each (+16.05 shipping from CA to CT). This is my first dealing with this company, so I am NOT tooting their horn yet since I don't expect to receive the RAM until later this week (shipped UPS ground). Good luck.

-Rick

Helpmostimes

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
Crucial is one of the best..At there web sit you can put in your systom type,and you will get a list of moduels that are right for your systom.Ive bought from them.The best support,on time orders ,and just the best ram ive used.I wont buy any other place.....

debgk

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
I agree -- Crucial is great ... but they don't sell rdram ... or has that changed??? they didn't last time I checked.

deb

FatBurger

Illustrious
No, Crucial does not make RDRAM.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!

TRENDING THREADS