Solved

To Build or Upgrade, that is the question (and I need help!)

I built my first computer a few years back. It's getting to be around 6 years old now and starting to notice some age. I was all gun-ho about building a new computer, but then started doing my normal (several) hours of research and found my build. But, then found people saying the chip I have now is good and you may not notice a difference moving to an i5....
So, that leaves me at the question...Should I scrap her or just do some upgrades? I'll post (most) of my specs below. I'm not a hardcore gamer anymore. I do play some games occasionally; some old, some new(er). SimCity5(beta), C&C General, GTAIV, CoD. But, along with this, it's mostly used to code and run my home media server (Plex).
Whatchya'll think?

MoBo: INTEL D975XBX2
Power.Suppy: cx500
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM (4x1GB)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
HardDrive(2):SEAGATE - BARRACUDA 400GB 7200RPM SERIAL ATA-300
WD15EARS 1.5TB 64MB

If it helps, my Windows Experience Index is 5.8.
Processor:7.1
Memory:7.1
Graphics:6.5
GamingGraphics:6.5
Primary HardDisk:5.8

In addition, I quickly pieced a PC together on what I'm looking to do. Not looking to break the bank, but looking for an overall improvement (while recycling some parts from old...)
Quote:

Thanks!!!
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build upgrade question help
  1. If you're only doing some light gaming, your PC is still decent.

You could make good use of an SSD, for sure - a $99 128GB one would do nicely and give you a great general-performance speed boost. Or if you don't want to reinstall Windows and manage what programs go where, get a cache-SSD like the Crucial Adrenaline or Mushkin Enhanced Catalyst. Mine works like a charm - intelligently moves your most-used data over to the SSD for super-speed.

You could also use a new video card. What would be your budget for a new card? For the games you're playing, a $120 Radeon HD 7770 would be great, but if you prefer Nvidia, go for the $150 GTX 650Ti.
  2. Thanks jessterman21!!!

When I was looking to build a PC, like I said, wasn't looking to spend a ton. Was sitting right around $700 for building a new one with recycling some of my current parts (dvd/hd/psu).

So, if I can throw a few hundred at putting some new components in, that is def an option.
    After reading the last few nights, I'm just worried that if I build an $800 box, it will be the same as the one I have now after added $200 bucks worth of new components. . . .

Thanks again!!!
  3. Best answer
    I would have to say a Mobo and CPU upgrade would be worthwhile aswell.
  4. Thanks GREG0RA.

Like I mentioned, am trying to understand what my best options are, with what I have, and what I'm looking to go to (within my budget).

If saying that if I build what I have linked to PCPartPicker will show me considerable improvement, cool! But, if saying "ah, throw $250 bucks on your current rig and it will be the same", well obviously, that may be the smarter path...

Again, appreciate the help/info!!!!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems