• Asus
  • Connection
  • Lenovo
  • Monitors
  • VGA
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 11, 2013 1:32:01 PM

I would like to connect two ASUS VS229H-P monitors to my Lenovo T420s.

The Lenovo T420s has 1 DisplayPort and 1 VGA and the ASUS VS229H-P monitor that has HDMI/D-SUB/DVI-D

Can I get recommendations on how to connect them?

Thanks,

More about : laptop displayport vga monitors withhdmi dvi

a c 89 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 11, 2013 1:44:14 PM

DP-to-DVI active adapter,
vga to d-sub (it's the exact same connector)
Score
January 11, 2013 1:51:07 PM

Kari said:
DP-to-DVI active adapter,
vga to d-sub (it's the exact same connector)

Thanks Kari.

Will there any difference in image quality between the DP to DVI active adapter and the vgs to d-sub?
Score
Related resources
a c 89 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 11, 2013 2:06:24 PM

shadowtrader said:
Thanks Kari.

Will there any difference in image quality between the DP to DVI active adapter and the vgs to d-sub?

there might be some blurryness on the vga signal, but if you take your time to calibrate that monitor properly the difference shouldn't be too obvious. Since the analog signal doesn't adjust some settings automatically you'd need to set the clock/phase settings on the monitor manually and also adjust the size of the image so it fits the monitor pixel perfectly (either via OSD on the monitor or in the graphic drivers) if the size is even one step off the ideal there will be some blurryness somewhere on the screen since the signal and the physicall pixels dont match. Easiest method is have a light colored background image and then to have the mouse cursor at the very edge of the screen, for example on the right hand side the outermost black line of the cursor should still be visible (rest of the cursor being off screen) and if you move the image one step further that way the line of pixels should disappear so that'd be too far, so back up a step. Rinse and repeat for every side really...
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
^^some helpfull test pics to help with the calibration.

edit typos, typos everywhere
Score
January 11, 2013 2:15:45 PM

Kari said:
there might be some blurryness on the vga signal, but if you take your time to calibrate that monitor properly the difference shouldn't be too obvious. Since the analog signal doesn't adjust some settings automatically you'd need to set the clock/phase settings on the monitor manually and also adjust the size of the image so it fits the monitor pixel perfectly (either via OSD on the monitor or in the graphic drivers) if the size is even one step off the ideal there will be some blurryness somewhere on the screen since the signal and the physicall pixels dont match. Easiest method is have a light colored background image and then to have the mouse cursor at the very edge of the screen, for example on the right hand side the outermost black line of the cursor should still be visible (rest of the cursor being off screen) and if you move the image one step further that way the line of pixels should disappear so that'd be too far, so back up a step. Rinse and repeat for every side really...
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
^^some helpfull test pics to help with the calibration.

edit typos, typos everywhere

Thanks Kari.

This is a 3 display setup, right? I don't lose the laptop display, do I?
Score
a c 89 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 11, 2013 2:17:26 PM

shadowtrader said:
Thanks Kari.

This is a 3 display setup, right? I don't lose the laptop display, do I?

not sure on that one, depends on the gpu used in your laptop...
let me google that model number..
Score

Best solution

a c 89 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 11, 2013 2:21:50 PM

from the datasheet http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/pdf/system_...
Quote:
Intel HD Graphics 3000 in processor,
external analog monitor support via VGA DB-15 connector and
digital monitor support via DisplayPort (supports single-link DVI-D via cable 45J7915);
supports dual independent display;
Maximum external resolution: 2560x1600 (DisplayPort)@60Hz;
2048x1536 (VGA)@75Hz; 1920x1200@60Hz (single-link DVI-D via cable 45J7915)

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t42...

looks like it can only drive 2 displays at once...

edit too hasty, if your laptop is one of the optimus models (has nvidia chip as well) then it can drive 3 displays
Quote:
NVIDIA® Optimus™ technology, auto-switch between discrete and integrated graphics,
Intel HD Graphics 3000 in processor, and
NVIDIA NVS™ 4200M, PCI Express® x16, 1GB memory,
external analog monitor support via VGA DB-15 connector and
digital monitor support via DisplayPort (supports single-link DVI-D via cable 45J7915);
supports three independent displays;
Maximum external resolution: 2560x1600 (DisplayPort)@60Hz;
2048x1536 (VGA)@75Hz; 1920x1200@60Hz (single-link DVI-D via cable 45J7915)
January 11, 2013 2:30:52 PM

So it looks like I need to buy one of those USB to DVI adapters if I want a 3 display setup...

Thank you so much for your help.
Score
January 11, 2013 2:31:06 PM

Best answer selected by shadowtrader.
Score
a c 89 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 11, 2013 2:32:17 PM

I hope you saw the edit about optimus models? ^^
Score
!