game wont run

i downloaded wolfenstein and along with any other 3d game it wont run.
when opening the game all seems to be running well, untill it gets to half
way down the message box and then the message says;

....GLW_ChoosePFD( 8, 16, 0 )
....35PFDs found
....GLW_ChoosePFD failed
....failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
....restoring display settings
....WARNING could not set the given mode (4) and later mode (3)
it then try's to choose the pfd's ( 16, 16, 0) and in the end it says
assuming '3dfxvgl' is a standalone driver
WARNING: missing glide installation, assuming no 3DFX available.

I have directx 9.0 version and it is running perfectly, and my display
adapter is nvidia the driver is nv4_mini.sys
resolution, bits, pixel, installed drivers, adapter ram & adapter type are
not available from system information.

how do i solve this problem.
I would appreciate any assistance, i hope i have given enough information.
--
wilpresto
2 answers Last reply

    "wilpresto" <mydisplayname@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
    >i downloaded wolfenstein and along with any other 3d game it wont run.
    > when opening the game all seems to be running well, untill it gets to half
    > way down the message box and then the message says;

    > I have directx 9.0 version and it is running perfectly, and my display
    > adapter is nvidia the driver is nv4_mini.sys
    > resolution, bits, pixel, installed drivers, adapter ram & adapter type are
    > not available from system information.

    Are you using the latest drivers from nvidia.com?

    --
    Paul Smith,
    Yeovil, UK.

    *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*

    wilpresto wrote:

    > i downloaded wolfenstein and along with any other 3d game it wont run.
    > when opening the game all seems to be running well, untill it gets to half
    > way down the message box and then the message says;
    >
    > ...GLW_ChoosePFD( 8, 16, 0 )
    > ...35PFDs found
    > ...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
    > ...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
    > ...restoring display settings
    > ...WARNING could not set the given mode (4) and later mode (3)
    > it then try's to choose the pfd's ( 16, 16, 0) and in the end it says
    > assuming '3dfxvgl' is a standalone driver
    > WARNING: missing glide installation, assuming no 3DFX available.
    >
    > I have directx 9.0 version and it is running perfectly, and my display
    > adapter is nvidia the driver is nv4_mini.sys
    > resolution, bits, pixel, installed drivers, adapter ram & adapter type are
    > not available from system information.
    >
    > how do i solve this problem.
    > I would appreciate any assistance, i hope i have given enough information.

    DOS or Windows application? Castle Wolfenstein originaly came out for DOS.

    DOS only acted as a floppy/hard drive storage interface. The computer's
    BIOS took care of the keyboard and text screen. Early DOS games had to
    manipulate the controler, video and sound hardware directly. If the game
    developer didn't have the same hardware configuration available, he
    couldn't make the program compatable with that configuration.

    Eventually standard interfaces developed, allowing DOS games to utilize
    a range of sound and video card models made by different manufacturers.
    IF a DOS game utilizes these standard interfaces AND your Windows sound
    and video drivers include support for those interfaces the game could be
    compatable with Windows. DirectX is a more recent standard interface
    which serves the same purpose for many Windows applications. DOS
    applications don't use DirectX.

Games Microsoft Windows XP