Phoenixc

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Hi everyone, I have a similar situation of others I've seen here except I haven't done any modifications to the computer. I turn my Gateway on and windows xp starts fine, but but I get no signal to the monitor. Unlike the others see on here, I didn't do any modifications, it just quit working. My video card is integrated into the motherboard, I tried installing another video card but no luck. I un installed it, hooked it all back up and it worked! But now it's stopped working again. Any suggestions? Thanks

bucknutty

Distinguished
Does the monitor display a "no signal" message or maybe an "out of range" message?
Or is it just dark?
From the little bit of info you provided im guessing a bad monitor. Do you have another or can you borrow one for testing?

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Which are you trying to use. The integrated graphics (connects to the mobo) Or a dedicated card? (plugs into a pci slot on the mobo).

Testing a new/diff monitor would be ideal. Im thinking if you run into the same issues it may be something as simple and enabling or disabling on-board graphics in the bios. Can you confirm what your using please? This is the part that confused me. "My video card is integrated into the motherboard, I tried installing another video card but no luck. I un installed it, hooked it all back up and it worked! But now it's stopped working again" As you cannot Uninstall the onboard graphics and replace it

Phoenixc

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Buck, it's just dark. I get nothing. I do have another monitor that I hooked up and got the same thing.
Unoriginal, I guess what I'm saying is this is the factory video hook up? Sorry, I'm not sure exactly how to describe it. It's not a card that plugs into the PCI slot. I've updated driver, I've tried different settings... Nothing. Thank goodness I have the pocket cloud app that I can connect with.

bucknutty

Distinguished
We know the computer works because you can access it with your remote login program.

Software....
Could that program have an option or setting that turns off the monitor for privacy? I know with the windows remote desktop you can dissable the local monitor when your logged remotely.
You updated the driver so that should not be the issue.

Hardware...
So both monitors do the same thing. Well that at least rules out that it is not a burned out monitor.
Both the onboard video and the video card do the same thing. Well that should rule out a gpu problem.

So down to elimination and guess work. Did you use the same vga cable to plug in both monitors?