Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Newer (Updated) Build - Criticism Appreciated

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 1, 2013 2:00:53 PM

Hello,

I am attempting to build a $1000 Gaming Desktop and have chosen the following parts.

Note: I would like to run some higher games on high settings, not Ultra or Extreme, but high AT LEAST. Would this rig do the job, or more than I expect?

Parts List: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GMaf
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GMaf/benchmarks/

By the benchmark analysis, it looks like a very good rig. But for Gaming, I know it can be tricky, which is why I am asking for criticism or opinions and changes I can make. Keep in mind, I am trying to stick to $1000 not including rebates.

Thanks in advance for your time.
March 1, 2013 3:01:41 PM

i5 is for gaming, i7 for video editing. And wifi isn't good for gaming, you should use cable. You can also go to 8GB of RAM. And with the money you save, you can get and SSD for OS and some games or a better GPU.
m
0
l
March 1, 2013 3:08:25 PM

If it is solely for gaming, I would downgrade your CPU to something like the i5-3570K (or the non-unlocked version if you don't plan to OC much). It will be more than enough for gaming purposes. That and also that you don't *need 16GB of ram/memory unless you plan to do a lot of video/audio editing or rendering etc. 8GB would be more than enough (I'm using 6 and still don't get anywhere near full use). I would then take the money saved and put it into a better GPU/video card and PSU since the power supply you chose is a bit on the weaker side (don't just look at overall wattage, don't forget to check the 6(or 6+2) pins required for the video card and how many Amps it needs on the 12V rail.

With the extra $, you could get something like the 660Ti, or HD7870 or something better and perform better as well.

Also, your wireless adapter, I would just get an internal one for a PCI slot, something like this works great (i bought it and works great for a basic wireless card, just not dual band)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
0
l
Related resources
a c 276 4 Gaming
March 1, 2013 3:34:33 PM

Quote:
If it is solely for gaming, I would downgrade your CPU to something like the i5-3570K (or the non-unlocked version if you don't plan to OC much). It will be more than enough for gaming purposes. That and also that you don't *need 16GB of ram/memory unless you plan to do a lot of video/audio editing or rendering etc. 8GB would be more than enough (I'm using 6 and still don't get anywhere near full use). I would then take the money saved and put it into a better GPU/video card and PSU since the power supply you chose is a bit on the weaker side (don't just look at overall wattage, don't forget to check the 6(or 6+2) pins required for the video card and how many Amps it needs on the 12V rail.


Yeah unless you're doing some hardcore video editing you don't need the i7.

Although on the original build Raidmax power supplies are HORRENDOUS, stay very far away from them.

Here is what I would suggest for $1K:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $995.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-01 12:34 EST-0500)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 1, 2013 3:37:37 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($180.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.48 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus USB-N10 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $785.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-01 12:31 EST-0500)

this will outperform what you built earlier solely in gaming performance, if you don't want to OC the CPU

with your budget, you should be able to afford a 3570K + a cheap Z77 like the board you chose or Asrock's Z77 Pro3 + a Hyper 212 EVO if you wanna OC the CPU. if you got any cash left, you may be able to get an SSD or a better GPU

EDIT: like G-Unit's build above ^
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 12:27:05 AM

drg889 said:
If it is solely for gaming, I would downgrade your CPU to something like the i5-3570K (or the non-unlocked version if you don't plan to OC much). It will be more than enough for gaming purposes. That and also that you don't *need 16GB of ram/memory unless you plan to do a lot of video/audio editing or rendering etc. 8GB would be more than enough (I'm using 6 and still don't get anywhere near full use). I would then take the money saved and put it into a better GPU/video card and PSU since the power supply you chose is a bit on the weaker side (don't just look at overall wattage, don't forget to check the 6(or 6+2) pins required for the video card and how many Amps it needs on the 12V rail.

With the extra $, you could get something like the 660Ti, or HD7870 or something better and perform better as well.

Also, your wireless adapter, I would just get an internal one for a PCI slot, something like this works great (i bought it and works great for a basic wireless card, just not dual band)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I run a Youtube Channel in which I play and review computer games. So I do plan to do quite a lot of rendering. I also make AMV's and such on YT on another channel. For this computer, I was planning to do do both editing and gameplay. So, which is better across both editing and gameplay, the i5 or i7?
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 7:13:13 PM

Alright, I changed to the Sapphire, after reading that they can be a bit better than XFX taking customer service and other factors into account. But I've heard good things from the performance of XFX, I guess it's all to personal preference.

Parts List: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GYpW

Anything else I should change or alter? I think at this point it might be just between brands.
m
0
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
March 2, 2013 7:21:28 PM

ZexionGamer said:
Alright, I changed to the Sapphire, after reading that they can be a bit better than XFX taking customer service and other factors into account. But I've heard good things from the performance of XFX, I guess it's all to personal preference.

Parts List: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GYpW

Anything else I should change or alter? I think at this point it might be just between brands.


Some companies are well known for their customer service (EVGA) and then there's some that aren't but they make good products anyway (XFX). So take that into consideration.
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 7:33:10 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Some companies are well known for their customer service (EVGA) and then there's some that aren't but they make good products anyway (XFX). So take that into consideration.


Which would you recommend? XFX or Sapphire? I am impartial to either, since I know nothing about the quality behind each company. So, I am up to hearing opinions.
m
0
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
March 2, 2013 7:38:47 PM

ZexionGamer said:
Which would you recommend? XFX or Sapphire? I am impartial to either, since I know nothing about the quality behind each company. So, I am up to hearing opinions.


I pretty much have only used Sapphire cards - my rig runs dual 7870s, and my older 5800 still holds up really well.
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 7:42:35 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I pretty much have only used Sapphire cards - my rig runs dual 7870s, and my older 5800 still holds up really well.


Alright. I think I'll stick with that parts list then. I got the Sapphire in there right now. I'd rather be interacting with a better social company should the card go bad. Thanks for your help! :) 
m
0
l
a c 276 4 Gaming
March 2, 2013 7:47:29 PM

ZexionGamer said:
Alright. I think I'll stick with that parts list then. I got the Sapphire in there right now. I'd rather be interacting with a better social company should the card go bad. Thanks for your help! :) 


Yeah that's fine. XFX has pretty decent technical support too. I think on your build too - get a different power supply. The Corsair CX series isn't really that good. This would be better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
!