Can't boot ARGGG

alan_05

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Hi,

I just installed a new motherboard (ASrock Z75 Pro, processor and RAM into an old machine. I have an IDE hard drive, for which i bought an IDE to SATA adaptor as the motherboard doesn't have any IDE slots, and have windows XP installed on it.

Initially I was having trouble booting it. I read up on it and was advised it might have been because in the bios it was set to SATA instead if IDE. Now, as soon as i changed from SATA to IDE then 'save and exit' my pc immediately switched off and wont turn back on.

I have no idea what's happening. Any help? :-(

alan_05

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Ok, so I've managed to boot it up again with IDE selected. Now I seem to be having another problem.

Now when initially booting up I'm getting the system saying...

"Generate Serial ATA diskette? [Y/N]

It basically is just looping me around and I can't seem to get anywhere.

Now I've looked into this I'm assuming I have to change the boot device to my HD but the system doesn't seem to be recognizing it at all.

Motherboard is Asrock Z75 Pro.

medmn

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Your post isn't really clear on this issue but it sounds like you are using your old hard drive with the XP and all your other programs on it. If that's the case it may be that XP won't boot because of the motherboard swap - you may need to do a clean install.

If it's a builder's edition of XP you may need to get a new key as your XP is linked to the original motherboard.

alan_05

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Is there no way I can use my old hard drive? The reason I swapped my motherboard was because my old one died and I wanted the files from my old HD.

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Can you do a repair install from the XP disk? I had something similar happen and I had to reactivate through MS and they allowed me to do it even though it was an OEM version of XP.

TRENDING THREADS