Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 OEM?

Last response: in Systems
March 1, 2013 5:04:53 PM

Okay I need some serious help.
I've purchased the majority of my first build and now I need windows 7. I literally cannot afford the full retail version right now as it's stupidly overpriced.
I've heard OEM means it locks to your motherboard with a key code, meaning you can only install it once. I've heard though that people just ring microsoft and bs their way around the issue if they ever need to reinstall it on another computer.
My question/questions are, does it ONLY lock to the motherboard? Could I replace GPUs, CPUs etc and it will work fine as long as the motherboard isn't changed? And in the event that the motherboard needs to be changed, how hard is it to get microsoft to allow for a new reinstall?
Is it a bad idea to get OEM? It's so much cheaper...

More about : windows oem

a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2013 5:12:12 PM

Ys an oem copy of 7 is locked to your mb and cant be shifted to a new computer

Buy Windows 8 . There is no oem license [ despite some people selling it as oem ] . You can activate it on another computer once you stop using it on the previous build .

There is a learning curve but its easy enough to customize so it behaves exactly like Win7
Classic Shell is a free download to add a start button , and all the metro apps can just be uninstalled .

Ive been using it since christmas and havent seen metro for the last month or so
March 1, 2013 5:14:25 PM

Thanks for the reply but I should have mentioned my computer is strictly for gaming and windows 8 has serious problems with games at the moment.
Related resources
March 1, 2013 5:15:48 PM

Yeah I heard it can be pretty good if you're not one of those guys who can't go two months without upgrading, just checking on here because I always get the most detailed and useful answers on this website. Thanks for the info. :) 
a c 102 V Motherboard
March 1, 2013 5:16:42 PM

TheNewPCGuy said:
Thanks for the reply but I should have mentioned my computer is strictly for gaming and windows 8 has serious problems with games at the moment.

This is not true. My girlfriend has win8 and she has no issues at all playing all types of games. No driver issues, nothing. People use this as an excuse to not have to give in to change and get win8. Its better than 7. Simple as that.
March 1, 2013 5:21:11 PM

TheNewPCGuy said:
Okay I need some serious help.
I've purchased the majority of my first build and now I need windows 7. I literally cannot afford the full retail version right now as it's stupidly overpriced.
I've heard OEM means it locks to your motherboard with a key code, meaning you can only install it once. I've heard though that people just ring microsoft and bs their way around the issue if they ever need to reinstall it on another computer.
My question/questions are, does it ONLY lock to the motherboard? Could I replace GPUs, CPUs etc and it will work fine as long as the motherboard isn't changed? And in the event that the motherboard needs to be changed, how hard is it to get microsoft to allow for a new reinstall?
Is it a bad idea to get OEM? It's so much cheaper...

I believe that the OEM version is locked to the motherboard type - and can be re-installed on the same PC if necessary (I heard from one source that it can be installed on another PC with the exact same mobo model - but I cannot confirm that).

There are some dodgy cheap Win7 Pro OEMs out there - you pay your money and take a chance - some were issued with other PCs and are being sold on, so beware.

Having said that - I have just purchased a Win7 Pro 64b OEM from a reputable supplier, it came sealed and installed without a problem.
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2013 5:21:50 PM

TheNewPCGuy said:

Im not sure why you think that , but myself and many other people are gaming perfectly well using Win 8
March 1, 2013 5:34:15 PM

Well that's what I've been seeing all over gaming websites and youtube. Of course I could be very wrong. I think I would just prefer 7 due to it being cheaper and i'm on a budget at the moment and the fact that I'm not sure if my hardware would be compatible with 8. I appreciate all the replies.
a c 102 V Motherboard
March 1, 2013 5:37:15 PM

All your hardware will work with 8 just fine. Also, its the same price.
March 1, 2013 5:47:54 PM

Is it really? I think I may just go with 8 then!
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2013 5:50:28 PM

from what i remember, there was only 1 game that had an inherent problem with windows 8(unloaded textures), and that was sleeping dogs. I haven't heard of anything else. Along with a start bar addon to transitioning users who prefer not to use metro, most users enjoy windows 8 quicker boot up time.
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2013 5:52:09 PM

Crysis 3, COD:BO2, FC3, Battlefield Play 4 Free, I play on Windows 8 with no problems. Install classic shell and you'll never see the tile interface, charm corners again and get your start menu back. I haven't seen the tile interface in like 6 months now.
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2013 7:56:23 PM

One thing you may want to do is remove every metro app

just right click and uninstall . Then you can add whatever you like on a proper desktop and the apps wont be the default program

If you want them back you can always just reinstall them , but I dont think they will ever be useful unless you have a touch screen
!