wendy

..Hello one and all...my kiddo tried to download a game and a window popped up
saying something in regards to we need to update 'video card' How do i find
what one we have with our computer and how to update it. Gee I hope i have
used the right terminology so that someone can understand what this newbie is
trying to say. I am running windowsxp home edition with sp2.
thank you for decipher this.
wendy

Hi Wendy,

Here are a few ways to identify which video card you have
installed on your computer.

1. Click Start / Run / type: dxdiag
Click the Display Tab
Look under Device for the name and manufacturer

2. Click Start / (Settings) Control Panel
Click Display
Click the Settings Tab
Click the Advanced... button
Click the Adapter Tab

3. Click Start / Run / type: msinfo32
Click on the + Components
Click on Display to see the name on the right

4. Run Aida32 to see what Video, Chipset and Motherboard
you have: http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

5. Get the information from the manufactures website (or store)

6. Look on the Video card itself if you plug into a card, or

7. Look in your Motherboard manual if you plug into the
on board video built into the motherboard of your computer.

Hope that helps you identify the make and model of your video card,
and afterwards, Try updating your Video drivers using these steps:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers Good Luck! :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B31846A7-DE92-4209-9FFF-D83C02BD1F9C@microsoft.com...
| .Hello one and all...my kiddo tried to download a game and a window popped up
| saying something in regards to we need to update 'video card' How do i find
| what one we have with our computer and how to update it. Gee I hope i have
| used the right terminology so that someone can understand what this newbie is
| trying to say. I am running windowsxp home edition with sp2.
| thank you for decipher this.
| wendy

Great suggestions as always Jimmy!

What game are you trying to run and what does the window say specifically?
I've seen some applications display windows complaingin about your video
card because they want a new driver while others are suggesting the card
isn't powerful enough to run the game (for example, not enough display
memory).

"Jimmy S." <nosp@m.pls> wrote in message
> Hi Wendy,
>
> Here are a few ways to identify which video card you have
> installed on your computer.
>
> 1. Click Start / Run / type: dxdiag
> Click the Display Tab
> Look under Device for the name and manufacturer
>
> 2. Click Start / (Settings) Control Panel
> Click Display
> Click the Settings Tab
> Click the Advanced... button
> Click the Adapter Tab
>
> 3. Click Start / Run / type: msinfo32
> Click on the + Components
> Click on Display to see the name on the right
>
> 4. Run Aida32 to see what Video, Chipset and Motherboard
> you have: http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32
>
> 5. Get the information from the manufactures website (or store)
>
> 6. Look on the Video card itself if you plug into a card, or
>
> 7. Look in your Motherboard manual if you plug into the
> on board video built into the motherboard of your computer.
>
> Hope that helps you identify the make and model of your video card,
> and afterwards, Try updating your Video drivers using these steps:
> http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers Good Luck! :)
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
> Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
> rights.
>

> "wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | .Hello one and all...my kiddo tried to download a game and a window
> popped up
> | saying something in regards to we need to update 'video card' How do i
> find
> | what one we have with our computer and how to update it. Gee I hope i
> have
> | used the right terminology so that someone can understand what this
> newbie is
> | trying to say. I am running windowsxp home edition with sp2.
> | thank you for decipher this.
> | wendy

wendy

Thank you neil and jimmy..here is what i found out..my device name is Nvidia
Ge Force2 MX 100/200 microsoft corporation
I then went through the nibblesnbits site which led to the nvidia site..but
when i went to find the driver for my system there wasn't even the option for
my computer which is windowsxp 2002 home edition version 2002 sp2
The only options relating to windows were
-windowsxp2000
-windows media center edition
-window NT4SP6
-windows 95/98/ME
So now what should i do since my edition isn't even an option
Thank you once again for your help. Wendy
P.S. I don't know what game it was as my daughter told me about after it
happening.

"Neil Dela Osa (Microsoft)" wrote:

> Great suggestions as always Jimmy!
>
> What game are you trying to run and what does the window say specifically?
> I've seen some applications display windows complaingin about your video
> card because they want a new driver while others are suggesting the card
> isn't powerful enough to run the game (for example, not enough display
> memory).
>
> "Jimmy S." <nosp@m.pls> wrote in message
> > Hi Wendy,
> >
> > Here are a few ways to identify which video card you have
> > installed on your computer.
> >
> > 1. Click Start / Run / type: dxdiag
> > Click the Display Tab
> > Look under Device for the name and manufacturer
> >
> > 2. Click Start / (Settings) Control Panel
> > Click Display
> > Click the Settings Tab
> > Click the Advanced... button
> > Click the Adapter Tab
> >
> > 3. Click Start / Run / type: msinfo32
> > Click on the + Components
> > Click on Display to see the name on the right
> >
> > 4. Run Aida32 to see what Video, Chipset and Motherboard
> > you have: http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32
> >
> > 5. Get the information from the manufactures website (or store)
> >
> > 6. Look on the Video card itself if you plug into a card, or
> >
> > 7. Look in your Motherboard manual if you plug into the
> > on board video built into the motherboard of your computer.
> >
> > Hope that helps you identify the make and model of your video card,
> > and afterwards, Try updating your Video drivers using these steps:
> > http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers Good Luck! :)
> >
> > --
> > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >
> > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
> > Contact
> > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
> > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
> > rights.
> >

> > "wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > | .Hello one and all...my kiddo tried to download a game and a window
> > popped up
> > | saying something in regards to we need to update 'video card' How do i
> > find
> > | what one we have with our computer and how to update it. Gee I hope i
> > have
> > | used the right terminology so that someone can understand what this
> > newbie is
> > | trying to say. I am running windowsxp home edition with sp2.
> > | thank you for decipher this.
> > | wendy

wendy

Hi jimmy and neil,,,i went to the windows update site and there is an update
to my driver...but it asks me where do i want to install it and i'm not
sure...sorry for the silly questions..but thank you for the help
wendy

"wendy" wrote:

> .Hello one and all...my kiddo tried to download a game and a window popped up
> saying something in regards to we need to update 'video card' How do i find
> what one we have with our computer and how to update it. Gee I hope i have
> used the right terminology so that someone can understand what this newbie is
> trying to say. I am running windowsxp home edition with sp2.
> thank you for decipher this.
> wendy

Hi Wendy,

You should choose the Windows XP / 2000 driver.

--

"wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64BFF321-D933-407C-B466-F5CA18D730AA@microsoft.com...
> [...]
| > >
| > > 5. Get the information from the manufactures website (or store)
| > >
| > > 6. Look on the Video card itself if you plug into a card, or
| > >
| > > 7. Look in your Motherboard manual if you plug into the
| > > on board video built into the motherboard of your computer.
| > >
| > > Hope that helps you identify the make and model of your video card,
| > > and afterwards, Try updating your Video drivers using these steps:
| > > http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers Good Luck! :)
| > >
| > > --
| > > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| > >
| > > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
| > > Contact
| > > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any

Hi Wendy,

You won't need to update the driver from Windows Updates
if you go ahead with plans to update it from nVidia's website.
The manufacturer's website always has the most recent driver.

--

"wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0274B5D1-79E7-40D1-BCB1-2C5A597E3ABA@microsoft.com...
| Hi jimmy and neil,,,i went to the windows update site and there is an update
| to my driver...but it asks me where do i want to install it and i'm not
| sure...sorry for the silly questions..but thank you for the help
| wendy
|
| "wendy" wrote:
|
| > .Hello one and all...my kiddo tried to download a game and a window popped up
| > saying something in regards to we need to update 'video card' How do i find
| > what one we have with our computer and how to update it. Gee I hope i have
| > used the right terminology so that someone can understand what this newbie is
| > trying to say. I am running windowsxp home edition with sp2.
| > thank you for decipher this.
| > wendy

>Hi jimmy and neil,,,i went to the windows update site and there is an update
>to my driver...but it asks me where do i want to install it and i'm not
>sure...sorry for the silly questions..but thank you for the help

Wendy,

Do not update the drivers via Windows Update please, go to the nvidia
web site and download and install the latest drivers for XP there,
following the directions in Jimmy's post. After reboot run dxdiag.exe
via the Windows start button, Run and go through the tests, report any
problem here if needed.

What game are you referring to?

===
Katy P.
MS_MVP for Flight Simulator

Visit Project Magenta!
http://www.promagenta.com

wendy

Hello once again...I went to the nvidia website and found my driver, but when
i went to download it the site had some hints...here is one that I have no
clue about...I am suppose to disable download accelerator utilities..what are
those and how do i find them...also I am supposed to unistall my driver that
I have now from the add/remove program..trouble is no where there do I see
that I even have a driver installed on my puter...it is NVidia GE Force2 MX
100/200 Once again do you have some helpful hints for me...Thank you in
advance everyone.
wendy

"Katy Pluta (MS_MVP)" wrote:

> >Hi jimmy and neil,,,i went to the windows update site and there is an update
> >to my driver...but it asks me where do i want to install it and i'm not
> >sure...sorry for the silly questions..but thank you for the help
>
> Wendy,
>
> Do not update the drivers via Windows Update please, go to the nvidia
> web site and download and install the latest drivers for XP there,
> following the directions in Jimmy's post. After reboot run dxdiag.exe
> via the Windows start button, Run and go through the tests, report any
> problem here if needed.
>
> What game are you referring to?
>
> ===
> Katy P.
> MS_MVP for Flight Simulator
>
> Visit Project Magenta!
> http://www.promagenta.com

Hi Wendy,

From what I've read so far, those hints don't apply to you.
Feel free to go ahead and download and install those new drivers. :)

--

"wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:494F7EDB-71E0-4CA5-AFB7-03377B65F5A1@microsoft.com...
| Hello once again...I went to the nvidia website and found my driver, but when
| i went to download it the site had some hints...here is one that I have no
| clue about...I am suppose to disable download accelerator utilities..what are
| those and how do i find them...also I am supposed to unistall my driver that
| I have now from the add/remove program..trouble is no where there do I see
| that I even have a driver installed on my puter...it is NVidia GE Force2 MX
| 100/200 Once again do you have some helpful hints for me...Thank you in
| advance everyone.
| wendy
|
| "Katy Pluta (MS_MVP)" wrote:
|
| > >Hi jimmy and neil,,,i went to the windows update site and there is an update
| > >to my driver...but it asks me where do i want to install it and i'm not
| > >sure...sorry for the silly questions..but thank you for the help
| >
| > Wendy,
| >
| > Do not update the drivers via Windows Update please, go to the nvidia
| > web site and download and install the latest drivers for XP there,
| > following the directions in Jimmy's post. After reboot run dxdiag.exe
| > via the Windows start button, Run and go through the tests, report any
| > problem here if needed.
| >
| > What game are you referring to?
| >
| > ===
| > Katy P.
| > MS_MVP for Flight Simulator
| >
| > Visit Project Magenta!
| > http://www.promagenta.com

>Hello once again...I went to the nvidia website and found my driver, but when
>i went to download it the site had some hints...here is one that I have no
>clue about...I am suppose to disable download accelerator utilities..what are
>those and how do i find them...also I am supposed to unistall my driver that
>I have now from the add/remove program..trouble is no where there do I see
>that I even have a driver installed on my puter...it is NVidia GE Force2 MX
>100/200 Once again do you have some helpful hints for me...Thank you in
>advance everyone.

Wendy,

Download accelerators are third-party program that you install, if you
had one I guess you would know about it so just ignore this.

If you had a previous version of the NVIDIA drivers it would show up
in the Add/Remove list, as there is none you must be using the default
Windows drivers, simply install the NVIDIA drivers directly then:

- create a restore point
- download and save the video drivers
- run the drivers setup
- reboot the machine

===
Katy P.
MS_MVP for Flight Simulator

Visit Project Magenta!
http://www.promagenta.com

It's possible you may be using the inbox Windows XP driver. I read on the
Inquirer recently that Nvidia was dropping support for their older Geforce 2
based hardware so you may need to use an earlier revision of the driver.
Here's where you can get the 72 series of driver which I believe still
supports the Geforce 2.

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/72.14/

"Katy Pluta (MS_MVP)" <katypluta@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
> >Hello once again...I went to the nvidia website and found my driver, but
> >when
>>i went to download it the site had some hints...here is one that I have no
>>clue about...I am suppose to disable download accelerator utilities..what
>>are
>>those and how do i find them...also I am supposed to unistall my driver
>>that
>>I have now from the add/remove program..trouble is no where there do I see
>>that I even have a driver installed on my puter...it is NVidia GE Force2
>>MX
>>100/200 Once again do you have some helpful hints for me...Thank you in
>>advance everyone.
>
> Wendy,
>
> Download accelerators are third-party program that you install, if you
> had one I guess you would know about it so just ignore this.
>
> If you had a previous version of the NVIDIA drivers it would show up
> in the Add/Remove list, as there is none you must be using the default
> Windows drivers, simply install the NVIDIA drivers directly then:
>
> - create a restore point
> - download and save the video drivers
> - run the drivers setup
> - reboot the machine