Sign in with
Your question

Radeon HD 5750 suddenly not working.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 11, 2013 3:48:14 PM

I don't know what happened but I got up this morning and booted up the computer and suddenly my graphics card isn't starting up. I tried rolling back the driver and still nothing.
The Device manager has the card listed with the "!" ATI Radeon HD 5700 series" and in the details it says "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)' Any idea what the problem could be or how I can fix this?

I've been trying to download drivers but I hate doing that because I don't even know what I'm downloading half the time. AMD and other sites are always so ambiguous with their downloads and for every card series there's never one download that says "THIS IS THE DRIVER FOR YOUR CARD".
I hope my card isn't screwed.
January 11, 2013 5:09:19 PM

Code 37 means Windows can't initialize the card. That would lead me to believe the card or the slot is bad (or the chipset). Try removing the card and re-seating it. Same with the power cable. Check the cable's connector to see if it is getting power from the PSU. (12V between yel to blk wires when PSU is running) Try the card on a friend's machine. Apparently you have on-board video if you are in Windows seeing the error msg, yes?

Btw, the best place to get AMD drivers, is from AMD: http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx
(Support and Drivers in upper right)
January 11, 2013 6:03:06 PM

I opened it up and cleaned things out. It was really dusty. I don't know how to tell if it's working but I use the HDMI to an LCD tv rather then a moniter and that is plugged directly into the 5750. If the card wasn't working then wouldn't I be getting nothing regardless of whether or not I had an onboard video card?
Basically what I'm getting is just really crappy sluggish graphics. Like when you boot up in safe mode. I get no sound and the ATI thing isn't showing up in the running programs.
AFter I've booted up and everythign I get a "Graphics" warning that "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware."

I've tried installing drivers a few times now and it seems to have no effect on anthing.
Related resources
January 11, 2013 7:13:15 PM

Oh, your getting a display. I thought you weren't getting a picture at all. Yes, the display you are getting is what happens when Windows doesn't recognize the card or driver. It loads its generic failsafe driver, which is low-rez.

If it is a driver problem, going to Control Panel/Programs and features and uninstalling the AMD graphics driver* should remove anything corrupting the registry. Then download and install the correct driver for your card and O/S at the link I gave you. It is quite simple. Just choose Desktop graphics, HD series, HD 5xxx, and your O/S. After downloading, run the .EXE file.

If the card went bad, I would think you'd get no display at all.

* The AMD Catalyst Install Manager may be the name you see in Control Panel/Programs and features for uninstalling the gfx driver.
January 11, 2013 7:46:03 PM

This is just frustrating. I uninstalled everything and then rebooted. When I rebooted the graphics were twice as bad. I went to the site and installed the driver (I'm assuming 64 bit since this is windows 64 bit), Everything appeared to install fine. I rebooted and now the graphics are where they were before the uninstall. Sluggish but apparenlty better then when I uninstall everything. (The HDMI connection worked throughout the whole process though which seems odd).
So after the reboot I have no ATI graphics icon running. I have a THX audiocontrol pannel running and a Realtek HD audio manager. I get no audio through the tv (but the eq does bounce around). and in the Device manager once again it shows the "!" ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series" Dsplay adapter. I also got the error message pop up that states No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware.

I checked the log when I installed all the ATI crap and everything said "success". If the card was pooched wouldn't the install program have noticed that?
January 11, 2013 8:16:35 PM

Have you always been using the HDTV for a display? If so, have you been using the TV's speakers all the time, or satellite speakers plugged into the motherboard? What model is your 5700 card exactly?
January 11, 2013 8:30:49 PM

I've always used this computer through this tv with HDMI. It's a gaming PC and I bought it just to hook up to this big screen and use for watching video and movies on netflix etc. It has always been working through the tv's speakers. Basically everything has always been working this way since the day brought it home. I shut it off last night working and booted i up this morning not working. The sticker on the side says "ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB"
January 11, 2013 8:39:47 PM

When you are in Windows, what resolutions do you have to choose from when you right-click on the desktop/screen resolution? Your HD 5750 requires a 6-pin pwr cable connection, right? Does your MB have on-board video?
January 11, 2013 8:43:15 PM

800x600
1024x768
1152x864
1280x960
1280x1024
1400x1050
January 11, 2013 8:47:19 PM

tybomb29 said:
800x600
1024x768
1152x864
1280x960
1280x1024
1400x1050

OK. That's the generic driver Win7 is using for sure. Do you have access to another card to try? Unless your HD 5750 decided to die, I've got to scratch my head on this for a bit...
Let me know which MB and CPU you are using. Not totally necessary, but food for thought.
January 11, 2013 8:47:54 PM

Theres a seperate VGA connection no on the graphics card so I think that must mean there's an OB. What do you mean by a 6 pin power cable connecion? Do you mean the connection inside?
January 11, 2013 8:52:58 PM

tybomb29 said:
Theres a seperate VGA connection no on the graphics card so I think that must mean there's an OB. What do you mean by a 6 pin power cable connecion? Do you mean the connection inside?

Yes, the HD 5750 requires a 6-pin PCIe pwr cable to feed it, correct?

Have you physically removed the card and wiped clean the edge contacts and re-inserted it... re-connected the PCIe pwr cable?
January 11, 2013 9:14:22 PM

It's strange. The wireless keyboard is giving me problems now off and on. Letters not showing up as I type. I changed the batteries and that didn't help. Now it appears to be working again. I don't know if it's because the graphics are bogged down or what.
When I first opened it up it looked like the card was bolted in from the outside and couldn't be removed but now that I look again I think that weird screw misses the card and is just holding the case together. I'll try removing it.

Here are some specs for the PC.

Processor

2.93 gigahertz Intel Core i7 870
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)

Main circuit board

Board: Gateway FX6840
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P01-A3 05/17/2010

Drives

1619.13 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
490.02 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device [Optical drive]
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH60N [Optical drive]
WD Virtual CD 070A USB Device [Optical drive]

Generic- Compact Flash USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Generic- MicroSD USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 6
Generic- MS/MS-Pro/HG USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 5
Generic- SD/MMC USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
Generic- xD-Picture USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
WD My Passport 070A USB Device [Hard drive] (639.43 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WX40AB9M5531
WDC WD10EARS-22Y5B1 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAV5C398165, rev 80.00A80, SMART Status: Healthy

Display

ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series [Display adapter]

Multimedia

AMD High Definition Audio Device
Realtek High Definition Audio
January 11, 2013 9:45:36 PM

Here's the thing... your card is apparently 'working' because you are plugged into it and it is providing a display. The problem seems to be software. Win7 isn't recognizing the card to load the driver. We could try something if you feel up to it...

1) Download and install CCleaner. Run it and do the Clean and Registry both. You may have to do it more than once if your system is severely garbage-ed up. Re-boot.

2) Download the AMD driver again and a pgm called Driver Sweeper. http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.h...
Install driver sweeper.

3) Uninstall the gfx driver again and boot to Safe Mode (tap F8 at boot to enter SM)

4) Run Driver Sweeper while in Safe Mode and have it remove any AMD, Nvidia, and ATI graphic driver remnants it finds in the Registry.

5) Re-boot to Win7 normally. Win will load a generic gfx driver.

6) install the AMD driver for your card and Operating System (again)
January 12, 2013 12:41:40 AM

That was insane. I did all those steps exactly and it changed nothing. Then I took the card out (which was quite a job because it was in there like a Chinese nail puzzle) and I cleaned everything off and put it back in and booted up. This time not only was the graphics card screwed but now the network adapter was buggered as well. So then I had two driver problems and couldn't get on the internet.
Finally I just gave up and restored my computer to factory default. It was sad because I literally lost about 600 gb of files and info and I'm sure I need some of it but there was no way I was going through everything and sorting it out.
Kind of feels good to just get rid of everything. I'm sure I'll pay for it though.

Thanks for all your help. STill have no clue what happened.
!